Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Palpatine bluffing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by djIgneo, Jun 8, 2005.

?

Which tourneys have potential or do you think is interesting?

1. Twice as Nice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Charmed Ones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1-on-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Extermination

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Palpatine bluffing?

In STAR WARS: Episode III was Palpatine faking his loss to Mace Windu or was he actually being beaten, saved at the last minute by Anakin?

I'm talking about the part where he's begging for mercy from Mace and gets deformed. He obviously lost the lightsaber battle.

If he was losing to Mace, then how could he have so easily beaten yoda?

2. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Yes, he was bluffing.

3. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

Yes he was bluffing read the book to shed some more light onto it.

And Yoda wasnt defeated he just realized now wasnt the time and decided to cut his loss'

4. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Oh, come on...Yoda pretty much got beaten with a stick. Incredible swordsman, yes, but it sure seemed to me like Palpatine got the better of him for the majority of the battle. Why would Yoda just quit like that and let the emperor take control of the galaxy the jedi worked so hard to protect for years? It doesn't make sense to me. It would seem like thier best shot to stop the evil was right then while evil was still gaining control. A war had to be fought over this later, surely Yoda would have forseen that. Running seems to be a last resort to me.

Here's another question for you star wars people:
    Why did they wait so long to train Luke (age >16), when they complained about Anakin's old age and nearly refused training him at age ~8?

5. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Because Jedi raised in the temple pre-purge were not really shown to love or allowed to love. This gave Luke a life with a loving family that later gave him the compassion to save Anakin. Something that Yoda learned while in Dagobah.

My take on the Papls issue is that Mace really could have taken him if Anakin didn't interfere. Who is to say that Mace Windu was not a greater Jedi than Yoda just because Yoda survived or had been alive for 800+ years? Why else would Palps be so deformed if he didn't need to use that kind of power to defend himself against him?

I think Mace was the man all along, especially since he had the guts to not have Anakin trained in the first place.

6. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

He realized the sith could not be destroyed so easily. The sith had adapted over the past millenia, the jedi had not that is there failings. When Yoda realized this he had no other option. There will be another time and another place.

To quote the novel.

7. rawrj

rawrj IncGamers Member

yeah i just had to be different :p he is a game genie i tell you, a game genie *being draged away kick and shouting that*

8. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

"Not fair, you're using game genie!"

9. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Anyone who's played KOTOR knows that there are different types of Jedi.

Perhaps Mace is a stronger fighter than Yoda, while Yoda is stronger with the force.

Mace so had Palp's number, no one would willingly deform yourself with your own force lightning.

10. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

Palpatine was bluffing. he lost his lightsabre but he was stronger than mace windu. he was bluffing because he wanted anakin to kill mace windu and that way he could easily lure him to the dark side
    i hate that guy :rant:

11. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

I was told that Mace Windu was considered the greatest Jedi fighter, while Yoda was the wisest Jedi. So I'll say no bluff.

12. th5418

th5418 Banned

No, Windu is the best lightsabre fighter in his time. It even says on the EU on starwars.com that he made a whole new form of lightsabre fighting. Palpatine was up against the wall and his force lightning was being deflected to deform himself. Why in any reason would anybody want to do that? Mace won against Palpatine.

13. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

It was a bluff imo. Palpatine was stronger than Windu,maybe by just a bit, but he was stronger. He just used the oppurtunity to turn Anakin.

And he probably had a clone body waiting for him anyway, so what does he care about his current one.

14. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

mace windu indeed is the most powerful jedi but palpatine was a sith and the guys from the dark side are better in using the force right?
    i mean the dark side is more powerful and thats why palpatine chose to bluff

15. rawrj

rawrj IncGamers Member

woot 3 other people say he is using a game genie too, man i hate cheaters thats almost as bad as hackers......stupid tppkers,

16. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Treachery is the way of the Sith

Palpatine, being the last Lord of the Sith, had a choice when fighting Windu: win or die. Since Windu was more than a match for Palpatine in lightsaber combat, Palpatine had to make a new choice: death or deceit. If he chose death, he would have to use everything he had to slay Windu and as Windu was very strong in the Force, Palpatine might not have been up to the task (or, he may not have felt that he was...fear rules the Dark Side and Palpatine may well have been overwhelmed by the fear that Windu might actually kill him). Palpatine realized that one-on-one, Windu would probably best him so Palpatine had to place his ace in the hole: Anakin.

He had told Anakin that he was a Sith Lord and that the Jedi would probably kill him just for that (or because of the way he had run the Senate or because he had tried to bring a different kind of order to the galaxy, different from the way the Jedi wanted to run it; Palpatine's lies were quite persuasive). To make the battle look less like Sith versus Jedi and more like Jedi versus helpless old man about to be assassinated by Jedi traitors, Palpatine held back, allowing Windu to best him (while Palpatine held a large store of Force energy back just in case Anakin failed to intervene). To Anakin's eyes, Palpatine had been telling the truth. Anakin looked upon the poor, deformed man about to be slain by a Jedi Master and he decided that Palpatine was right.

If Anakin hadn't intervened, Palpatine would have been forced to use everything he had left in a last-ditch attack on Windu, possibly killing himself in the process (at this time, he may or may not have had a clone body waiting for him on Byss; he perfected the cloning process when he continually killed and resurrected Bevel Lemelisk, the architect of the Death Star who had left that critical exhaust port unprotected) which he could not allow to happen (after all, how could the Sith rule the galaxy if they were all dead?)

17. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

I think Mace Windu would have killed him if Anakin didnt step in. Im probably biased though Mace Windu is my favourite character.

18. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

This was decided pretty conclusively on TheForce.net's forums. The great majority of posters, and 100% of the mods, said he was bluffing.

The major pieces of evidence are:

1. Palps could have killed Mace early in the fight when he's pointing his saber at Mace's chest with a thrust, which is how he killed some of the other Jedi. (The only reason the fight went beyond this is that Palpatine was waiting for Anakin.)

2. Mace wanted to bring Palpatine in at first. This would show the Jedi as too good in the eyes of Anakin. Palpatine therefore had to make Mace try to kill him in front of Anakin to ensure Anakin's turn. Palpatine's deformation was nothing compared to brining Anakin to his side.

3. Palpatine was not tired out from the fight at all, as proven by his ability to easily fry Windu while yelling. The change in his facial expression is obvious proof he was faking weakness.

Palpatine wanted the Jedi to come after him. It was his best chance at getting Anakin to turn. The whole encounter was set up by Palpatine. He just needed Mace alive long enough to get Anakin to think the Jedi were eliminating his only chance of saving Padme.

The fact that Palpatine lost his lightsaber when Mace kicked it out of his hands is generally considered a mistake by Palpatine, although if he knew Anakin was almost there, it could possibly have been on purpose.

19. Tutatis

Tutatis IncGamers Member

I don't belive palp was bluffing, except when he was lying to the dumbass anakin. Palpatine couldn't possibly forseen the exact ways of the battle. He did need windu alive to turn anakin, but he wouldn't leave Windu the chance to kill him if he was bluffing, windu could have killed him before the arrival of anakin, as windu needed few minutes too realise he has to kill Palp. Palp couldn't possibly predict that the jedi would wait a bit and then decide to strike, that would meant reading the mind of the jedi, proven by the fact that he afterwards is enable to find yoda or obi-wann or predict vader's treason. As for Yoda vs. palp, it's obviuosly palpatine was weaker: He fails to kill Yoda when he first has the chance and then tries to run away, but yoda jumps in front of him and stops him. During the fight, palpatine can'twin with lightsaber, tries to throw the small shuttles at Yoda, but fails again, and he can't stop the last shuttle thrown by Yoda. Than, in the end yoda pushes his lightning right into him and throws him, it's only the huge luck that yoda was closer to and ending of that shuttle and falls, palpatine barely grabs because he was taller and had something to grab on, he was also not close to the ledge and had more time to rebalance. And afterwards Palpatine thinks Yoda is dead and send clones to find the Body.
    But if some hardcore sw-ers are here, Can they answer why Obi-wann doesn't strike anakin dead, though he believes that luke had to kill Vader and why doens't he fight Vader in the dead star? And why do the chars in the original series seem more crappy than those from the new trilogy?(except Palp) Is it just the fact that they couldn't make any good fightining scenes back then?Or was Vader not trained to become stronger so he doesn't kill Palpatine.

20. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I'm too weak... can't hold on any longer...

JUS KIDDIN
    BAM SUCKA!!!!

looked like he was holding back to me