Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paladin strategy for full game play not only optimization

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by KJMaynard, May 15, 2008.

1. KJMaynard

KJMaynard IncGamers Member

Paladin strategy for full game play not only optimization

Hi, Im back to the game after not playing for a few years and the theory behind builds is completely new to me but i have been reading up about the different types. I've found the main problem in all these builds is the goal of absolute optimization of the character in the high levels, like say 85 to 99.

Most of these builds say nothing of the game before that point. You have to assume that most players don't have the benefit of having level 90s rush them through the game, give them godly items, or are buying items from websites like d2items.com. What gets me the most is that some players don't understand why others don't want to duel when these advantages exist for players of similiar level.

I have now a 21st level paladin in normal act 2. Maybe Ive spent a couple points too many on prayer that will hurt me in the short term but ive built my prereqs towards fanatacism and put a few points on zeal and a couple on might. Ive found my own items and want to do this legit, not be rushed up to level 90 to say i have an uber character. Im using now the pague bar scepter, beast mail chain, and cleglaws shield, with the entropy circle and another simliar unique ring that gives 77 attack rating.

What would be the best strategy for say the next 10 levels or so. My plan was to save points till i hit level 30 and pump up fanatacism. Ill single point at least some key skills like redemption, smite, holy freeze, and vengeance.

thanks
    KM

2. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

Re: Paladin strategy for full game play not only optimization

You must understand that the vast majority of people who post in these forums have been playing D2 for years and logged in hundreds, sometimes thousands of hours. After playing so long and building so many characters, the initial leveling is so basic and mundane that no one wants to spend time and effort on it, which is why the rushing happens. What we do want is to experiment with different fully built characters (and mf for items, and duel, and uber, etc.).

If a person does decide to play through the game once more without the rushing, it is usually horribly easy and doesn't really require much strategy, since leveling is so easy in D2 compared to many mmorpgs and the monster AI is so bad.

However, for someone just starting out there is a lot to learn about the game so you may find some parts very difficult.

On to your question: yes, you should definitely save your points and prepare to put them into Fanatacism. With the build type that you are creating (melee paladin, self-found equipment, probably Zeal as your main attack) you will definitely benefit most from the Fanat aura.

Additionally, the other skill you'll want to save up points for is Holy Shield. That skill is great at raising your total defense and increasing your chance to block, which means you'll need fewer points in dexterity to maintain 75% (max) block.

If you use the spell Holy Shield (just cast it once and it stays aroudn for a while), Fanat and Zeal your paladin should do just fine in the short term and the long term.

-f

3. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

first thing to do:
    think about your final skill placement.
    FattyMcGee pointed in the right direction, this should be 20 fanatiscm, 20 zeal. zeal benefits greatly from its synergy sacrifce, so you should max this one too. holy shield is also a very useful skill, put one point early, the rest later here.
    you should try not to waste any skill-points (like putting them into prayer or more than one point into might). if you think you will need one of those skills for some time, buy yourself a nice scepter that has it.

- your first skill point normally goes into might.
    - the following go into sacrifce until you are level 12 and put some into zeal.
    - get zeal high enough for 5 attacks
    - until level 30 get 1 point into each of the requesites for fanatiscm and holy shield, the rest goes into sacrifce
    - at level 30 you put one point into fanatiscm, one into holy shield
    from there on you can max fana, sacrifice, zeal (in this order)

stats:
    this one is easy.
    never put a single point into energy.
    just enough into str to wear your gear (this will probably be somewhere between 80 and 120)
    enough into dex to to have full block with holy shield (this is more tricky as it is quite shield dependent, but it shouldnt be much more than 120)
    the rest into vitality.

equipment:
    as a zealot you will need two things more than others:
    - a decent weapon
    - lots of life- (and some mana-)leech

since it is not very likely that you wont find many useful things, you will probably have to work for your equipemt. this is one way to do this (the other would be trading):

once you reach the black marsh in act one nightmare you do countess runs. she will drop runes from el to io. and this will eventually provide you with the necessary base items to make yourself some nice runewords that will get you through nightmare.

i suggest the following:

Honor 5 Socket Melee Weapons Amn + El + Ith + Tir + Sol in an exceptional one-handed weapon
    Spirit 4 Socket Swords/Shields Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn in a pala-shield with resistance bonus

a Lore helmet and Stealth body armor are also quite cheap (look here: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords-original.shtml). you can gather some runes at normal countess, but she will only drop up to ral. it might still help you a lot if you want to make a steel or malice weapon.
    you can also cube runes up (http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml). when you are looking for socketed base items, keep in mind that larzuk can socket them with the maximum number of sockets as a quest reward. there is also a cube recipe which gives a random number of sockets from 1 - 6 (capped at the items max).

in nightmare you will find flawless gems. keep all of them and cube them up to perfect ones. you can use them them for crafting recipes and for trading here one the forum (where you will get some decent gear pretty cheap).

in regards of crafting look here: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/crafteditems.shtml
    you might be interested in the blood recipes to get some rings/gloves/boots/belt with life leech and other helpful mods.

with some patience you will get through nightmare where you can level up to level 80. by then you will probably look somewhat different at the guides and can easily improve your gear with some trades or by doing mf runs.

good luck and have fun.

4. prion

prion IncGamers Member

another thing is the main problem a physical zealot faces is the PI's..well the old solution of "just put one point in vengeance" is not that great anymore. By itself the AR and damage is so low that you are often better off finding lots of elemental damage from gear

5. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

i left this out on purpose, because this is almost exclusively a hell problem, that can be solved itemwise.

cheap runeword solutions would be:
    - Voice of Reason
    - Lawbringer
    both in a scepter (with nice inherent skills)
    or:
    - a harmony bow, which also takes care of the iron maiden curses in chaos sanctuary and world stone keep.

but i wouldnt run countess for the ko/lem that is required, just trade it or hope for a good hellforge drop.

6. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

The main thing about building is to keep in the back of your head that if the game is hard now, it'll be much harder later. Using up your skill points on something to help you through the game now but will be weak/useless later will actually make your life more difficult than easy. Therefore you just put points in skills that will be good at level70+ (in hell difficulty) and use their pre-reqs with 1 point only. While a paladin with prayer or might may be somewhat easier to level to 20, he will be much harder to leve up in hell or even nightmare.