Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paladin Stat Question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Nnyl, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Nnyl

Nnyl IncGamers Member

Paladin Stat Question

My goal: to create a smiting paladin without any wasted points into strength, dex or energy
    My delimma: I am tryng to choose between using a hoto and not putting anything into str or dex, or using a Silence phase blade and having to put say 100 dex in, which may or may not be a good idea seeing as i dont know how the dex/blockrate formula works... So basicly i need to know if putting 100 dex in and getting the block rate/better weapon mods is worth it, or just go with the hoto for just the +3 with no use for the mana mods and have every single stat point put into vitality!?

thanks for your future help :D :clap:

2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Make a "Grief" runeword in a crystal sword or something, and you're all set. That added damage to smite WILL make your characters life easier.

3. Nnyl

Nnyl IncGamers Member

ah yes, unfortunatly i forgot to mention that I play non-ladder, and unless im horribly mistaken... isnt grief ladder only at the moment? oh well thanks for the help:)

4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

The best weapons for a smiter on nonladder would probably be Astreon's Iron Ward, Kingslayer in a war axe (PVM) or a berserker axe (PVP), or Silence in a phase blade (PVM or PVP).

To hit the highest bp for smite (6 FPA) and assuming you got at least a lvl 27 fanat:

Astreons: 32 IAS
    Kingslayer in a war/berserker axe: 50 IAS
    Silence in a phase blade: 6 IAS

5. Nnyl

Nnyl IncGamers Member

So silence in the phase blade would be the best out of what i have, but kingslayer would be the best possible? further information on kingslayer would be nice if possible i havent seen it before

Thanks all:)

6. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

The Arreat Summit is blizz's official resource for d2 info. It's not always 100% accurate but remains my go-to site when I need to check stuff.

Kingslayer
    4 Socket Swords/Axes
    Mal + Um + Gul + Fal
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    +230-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -25% Target Defense
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    50% Chance of Open Wounds
    +1 To Vengeance
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +10 To Strength
    40% Extra Gold From Monsters

Silence
    6 Socket Weapons
    Dol + Eld + Hel + Ist + Tir + Vex
    200% Enhanced Damage
    +75% Damage To Undead
    Requirements -20%
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    +50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
    +2 To All Skills
    All Resistances +75
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    11% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    Hit Causes Monster To Flee 25%
    Hit Blinds Target +33
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    30% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

Generally I think people recommend Kingslayer for general use and Silence as more of a situational weapon when you need resists.

Looking at the two, Kingslayer is definitely the more offensive weapon and it's 33% crushing blow is quite good since smiters rely on it for a good chunk of their damage. CB usually will do more then damage then the skill itself (if you're not using Grief). Open wounds is also great as it prevents monster heal, and the damage it does can be pretty good once you achieve a high character level.

Silence is the more defensive weapon with 20% hit recov, 75% resist all, monster flee, and blind. Now, monster flee is something all melee attackers hate but I tested this myself and blinded monsters don't run away so the two mods on Silence basically negate each other.

Based on that information and whatever you use for gear you should be able to make a decision.

7. Nnyl

Nnyl IncGamers Member

wow thx for the stats and the source, i think ill try for the kingslayer just because im hoping it will serve me better for the little pvp rinks my friends and i put together, thx a ton for the help! :clap: :thumbsup:

8. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

If you were planning on max block for any shield you'll need way more than 100 dex.

9. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

That would depend on his level. Besides, any smiter would max out holy shield, which adds a lot to shield block. HoZ/+3 combat scepter on switch may help a little, since HS block bonus can be pre-buffed. (defense will change, however). Also, guardian angel gives an awesome +1 pala skill, +15 MAX all resist and godly 20% increased block chanse. Some crafted safety amulets give up to 10% added block, and then with a good block shield (smiters wouldn't use Whitstan's Guard, but you get the point) only a very little amount of dex is required. My hammerdin has max block at lvl 90 with only 103 or so dex, a lot of it from equipment.