Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paladin shields?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by TheBigClown, Nov 8, 2006.

1. TheBigClown

TheBigClown IncGamers Member

Paladin shields?

Hi, I just started my first paladin a couple of weeks ago. I have allways thought that it was anoing to have my attack on the left mouse-thing (dunno what it is called). But it works out just fine now, so I have decided to dedicate some more time to my pally :smiley:
    And now to the question. What pally shields should I look out for? Im taking white or grey shields... The ones with ED and AR or the ones with res all? And further more what type of shields are worth picking up? I found this 0 soc kurast shield with 43 res all, is that any good or should the mods be on some other shield? I see that the smite damage on all elite shield are an average of 46 - do one want big max damage or is the elite zarakum better due to the nice avarage of 46? I saw in the european trade forum that a elite "round" shield was traded for 5 hrs and I was wondering what that is about. I dont see the advantage of thoose "round" shields. Sure they got higher block chance which leads me to my next question: Is the block persentage capped at 75% on a shield? Right now my paladin are using sigons and when I have casted HS it gives the shield a block persentage of 75% even though I think it shound be about 90% or something like that.

I hope u can help me with my noobish questions :smiley:

2. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

choosing between ed/ar shields and res shields depends on your current res, if its not max and you need a lot more i suggest you go with extra res, if however you have maxed res and dont need anything more the extra dmg and ar is more useful

43 res on a kurast shield without sockets is pretty good, maximum you can get is 45 but it not having any sockets yet isnt that good, main reason why people pay high for an elite paladin shield with the mods they want is to get runewords as good as possible and i'm guessing you're rather new so options on that shield are rather limited
    if you socket that at larzuk it will get 4 sockets and there's only 3 runewords for 4 socket (paladin) shields :
    - exile ( Vex + Ohm + Ist + Dol ) : 2.5 hr's so rather expensive AND it has autorepair so you really need an eth shield for it
    - phoenix ( Vex + Vex + Lo + Jah ) : 4 hr's, most expensive shield runeword but has 350-400ed and various other cool mods
    - spirit ( Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn ) : no hr's so cheap to make BUT main stats are +2 all skills, faster cast rate and extra vit/mana and on top of that it doesnt add defense or block so only useful for a caster

best options you have for shield that are "easy" to get is either trading for a hoz (the unique shield) or making Sanctuary (ko ko mal) in a 3 socket shield, that will give you fhr, block, defense, dex and 50-70all res

about the elite "round" shield, was it an eth sacred targe? i'm guessing it was, reason why lot of people see this is a good (if not best) option is because of the low str req and the high block chance, those two combined allow people to put more stats into vit since the high block chance allows people to have less dex and still have total block of 75% (which is the maximum)
    75% total block being maximum is also reason why it doesnt show anything higher on your shield, if you have a nice lvl holy shield your shield will most likely have block above 75% but will only show that

i hope this all answers your questions :D

3. TheBigClown

TheBigClown IncGamers Member

Thx for the reply :smiley: It wasn't an eth sacred targe, just normal 4 soc sacred targe that was traded. That shield must be for a caster right? I still dont get it... Guess I have alot to learn about paladins :undecided:

Edit: I wanna use a sanctuary shield for my zealot. Should I take that kurast shield and cube it and hope for 3 soc? or should I bring it to larzak and get 4 soc and then trade it? What would be best econemy-wise?

4. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

economy wise, well....doesnt matter that much i think but i suggest saving on larzuk quests and using cube recipie, there's a chance it will get 3 sockets