Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paladin-related stuff

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Wonko the Sane, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

Paladin-related stuff

I've got a level 12 SP Paladin, and was wondering what a viable build to go for would be. (I am leaning toward either Holy Fire/Shock or Vengeance), and tips would be welcome (as well as helpful items from you ATMA users out there. ;) I suppose I should check out the giveaway thread.)

My skills/stats are as follows:
    Skills
    Sacrifice, Zeal, and Smite all have one point, and that's it for combat skills so far.
    Offensive Auras: Thorns and Might have 1 point each, Holy Fire has 2.
    Defensive Auras: Prayer has 3 points (I'm kicking myself over this, though it could be a quasi-helpful post-battle alternative to potions), Resist Fire has 2 (added more damage as a synergy to HF than actually putting a point into HF =P)
    Stats
    STR: 48
    DEX: 28
    VIT: 44
    ENE: 20

So, once again, any tips/help/criticism would be gladly accepted, thanks in advance.

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

My opinion is stick with one, either fire or shock, as you will not have enough skill points for two. I'm not sure if your energy is from item, or did you drop 5 points in there, as paladin build need no energy investment. Heck even my hammerdin has a base energy. Prayer is an absolute waste, even maxed will not be a substitute for potion (that's why they sell it no?). I'd say start over as you are only level 12, and stick with one aura of damage.

Holy fire paladin has been tried by several people, none works well as far as I know, even with dragonscale shield.

3. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

Well I don't see much point in starting over; I'm by no means trying for a 'perfect' build here, just looking for something that can survive. Also, by the 'Fire/Shock' bit I meant one or the other, not both. Sorry for not being clearer on that.

Yeah, I must have put some points into energy. This is an old character that I recently picked up again, so I have no idea when/why I did that. Stats and skills are all with no items equipped, BTW. (currently using a scepter with +1 to HF, and some +STR items)

What I may end up doing is going for Vengeance and Conviction. I don't think I've wasted enough points to make that unviable. :p

4. Kaelin

Kaelin IncGamers Member

Well, sure, you *could* just carry on, and you'll almost certainly live, but you won't kill as fast/survive as well as if you start over (small difference but still). And it only takes 10-15 minutes to get back to level 12, so it's not a big deal.

Regards,
    Kaelin

5. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

with 1 point in cleansing your prayer points won't be wasted as cleansing gets a passive bonus from prayer, so instead of running prayer, run cleansing - you get all the healing from prayer, plus the reduced poison/curse time for a cost of 0 mana

6. WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack IncGamers Member

I didn't realize that clensing would heal- I have 1 pt in it and in prayer (latter was pre-req for redemption), and I haven't noticed a healing effect from cleaing, just the reduced curse time. For myself, I find that redemption works a lot better then prayer for after a battle healing. It seems to be much faster, especially if there are a bunch of dead things around, and the mana restore has been a life save at mid levels, until i could get a little leach.

@ Wonko- as for whether to restart or not- I currently have a lvl 80 zealot, and I wasted a couple of points that I'm currently wishing I could put someplace else. Hell seems to be pretty demanding for allocating pts corretly to do damage and survive for melee pallys, so you might want to consider that. I'm figuring i have about 10 pts left to allocate, so I'm really trying to determine which will be the most effective use, and having a couple of extra pts would make me a bit happier. using players 8 will let you get back to lvl 12 in no time, if you choose to do so.

cheers all,
    WJ

7. StarWarz2

StarWarz2 IncGamers Member

As of 1.10, Cleansing and meditation have a synergy w/ Prayer. In addition to the poison clearing and the mana recover, you get the healing benefits of prayer. For 0 mana cost (like HBeachBabe said. :))

Makes it MUCH nicer to be a Pally.

Cheers!

8. MeBrutox

MeBrutox IncGamers Member

A couple lost points will not doom your character. If you choose to go with only of the holy shock/freeze/fire group, I would either go holy freeze, for the crowd control, or holy shock, will does more damage then any of the others. Holy fire is not a viable skill in late hell, IMHO.

Holy shock can get good damage if you get a very fast weapon, using Zeal. Do not worry about the damage on the weapon, as your killing damage will come from the lightning damage added to your attack, so a fast weapon is a must.

All though if you wanted to do the vengeance/conviction, you can still do that and be ok, your holy shield will not be as high as it could be, but you should still do well with it.

9. StarWarz2

StarWarz2 IncGamers Member

Thinking about it, a good weapon for an Avenger would be a Crescent Moon runeword, in a weapon like a Phase Blade. :D That -% Lightning Resist would make the additional damage from Vengeance's lightning even better. Hmmm .... Think I'm going to be doing some more work on my Avenger this weekend (started him last week, but haven't been able to play much this week). :grin:

Cheers!

10. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

Ok, you lost 3 points, so what? Go and be an Avenger, they are very cool!
    go for 1 Vengeance, then 10 Resist Fire, 10 Lightning 10 Cold. At level 30, stop it and raise Conviction to 10 or more. After Conviction 15, Resists 10, pump Vengeance to the max. You may want to get a saving point in Redemption. Get ASAP also 1 point in Holy Shield, and put one point there whenever you feel like. Last thing to consider: Conviction has a cap of -150% resist reduction, at level 25, if I remember right. Plan for it. I got +2 Mara, +1 Guardian Angel, +2 HoZ, 20 spent points for the right number. If you plan using stuff like Shako or delirium, SoJ or BK wedband, Arach Mesh, a +skill weapon, you can save some points in conviction.

Equipment, go for a Guardian Angel / Herald of Zakarum, they are the best! And a BotD Berserker Axe. Sure you don't have it - me neither - so I went Crescent Moon on Berserker Axe, worked very fine.

Around your 50s, get Mana Leech. 10% or more. And keep in mind you will use Zeal a lot, especially for mana leeching, quickly triggering CB/OW/CTC spells like Static Field.

Cool things to have in mind: Holy Shield always ON, Vigor for running faster those endless maps, Cleansing to get rid of poison and curses, while activating the prayer synergy.

I used Gore Riders, Ears, Gaze, Maras, Laying of Hands, Ravenfrost ring with dual leech/resists, 1 GC +1 to Combat, and lots of resist charms, to get resists to 95/95/95/90. I laughed at Gloams. Holy Cheeze Merc with Reapers Toll was my choice, because I didn't have the balls to hire an act 3 guy.

Good luck!