Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paladin question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by erics, May 22, 2008.

1. erics

erics IncGamers Member

Paladin question

I'm looking to make a paladin with as much damage as possible. I'm looking for some opinions.

• Sacrifice- has some good damage with one hefty synergy and one weenie one.
    • Charge- I'm thinking this is the winner with large damage and two generous synergies.
    • Zeal- Does this one offer large damage when compared over a time frame compared to others?
    • Vengeance- This one may be good for large damage with larger physical and good elemental teamed with generous elemental synergies.
    • Holy shock- Would large physical damage teamed up with nice lightning damage and synergies compete with the others?

I'm going to use a one-handed weapon with shield and as much damage modifiers on items/auras/merc/summonables that I can get my hands on. What's your thoughts on each and which would you recommend?

2. LD50

LD50 IncGamers Member

Re: Paladin question

I don't have any real info on this one, but I'm guessing Asmo will stop by to advertise his avenger with >8000 damage at 8fps...

3. TheSupercrab

TheSupercrab IncGamers Member

A cheap and very overpowered pala is holyshock/zeal pala. Can do decent phsyical damage and one hell of alot of lightning damage. Does alot of damage.. mine is sitting on 5k and is only in act1 normal on level 49. + the crescent moon to the mix and ur effective damage increases even further.

4. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

If you were willing to go 2H, the winner would be charge. End of story.

1H, charge will still give you the most damage, but if HS runs out midcharge, you have to S&E and restart, so that will be extremely annoying. Zeal is probably your best bet here. Get lots of DS and you will double your damage on the LCS. It also works great with CB and OW, but if you're doing max damage, you probably wont need them. I find vengeance too slow of a killer for my taste, but all my chars are untwinked.

I'd go with zeal + fanat, it's great for damage/time.

5. Naab

Naab IncGamers Member

Charge will give you the bigger LCS damage, but zeal is definetly win with damage done over time(check San's latest paladins patriarch thread,he had some gg damage)

6. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Now we have Grief, how would a 1hnd charger do? Would it still block?

7. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Average-roll Grief PB Zealot with the correct setup has an average of 75k damage per second. You won't go higher than that without using cheese.

Equipment:
    Shield: Herald of Zakarum
    Armor: Fortitude (Duress for the poor? :D)
    Helm: Guillaume's Face
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    Belt: String of Ears/Thundergods
    Boots: Gore Rider
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Ring 1: Raven Frost
    Ring 2: Rare

Mercenary with The Reaper's Toll, Kira's Guardian+Shaftstop or Duriel's Shell + Vampire Gaze. IAS sockets. This way you'll have a merc that survives well and is capable of applying decrepify very fast because he's never frozen.

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

• Sacrifice- average damage, but you need spec. gear to make for the life loss **
    • Charge- good damage on paper, but hard to use and buggy *
    • Zeal- Strong and fast, we got winner *****
    • Vengeance- average damage, slow, need good (and fast) weapon ***
    • Holy shock- good damage, you only need fast weapon and good AR. ****

9. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

What exactly is your definition of "as much damage as possible"?

Charge definitely wins when it comes to LCS readouts. And a good charge chain should do about 1.5 - 2 times as much damage over time as zeal. But only in short bursts, as you need to reposition in between chains.

10. erics

erics IncGamers Member

I want to make grief, use a pally 65% dam shield I just traded for, and a fortitude I made a while back along with a helm with +enhanced damage. Put them all on a paladin and do as much damage as possible. It's just a goal I'm trying to reach. Something that would make you say, "wow that's a lot of damage". Something that could down baal in record time.

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Well if you're going fortitude for the +%ED then you definitely want to stay away from vengeance as that extra+%ED off weapon won't add to the vengeance damage only to the physical portion. If you want Vengeance damage you need just +min damage gear as much + min damage as you can get, which is true for all pure physical damage builds.

Charge is the biggest of those in % damage value, a whopping 1375% without +skills, and Fantacism is the best pure % damage aura at 373% without +skills. which is 86 skill points to reach leaving plenty for 1 pt wonders or a different option blessed aim to make sure you don't miss with your big attacks.

A fanatic, charger would probably net you the most +%ED for your weapon of choice, but charging with a 1H weapon and shield may be troublesome.

Also make sure you have a might merc so you get both fantacism and might at the same time.

---

edit; Then again you might want to take a look at a smiter since off weapon %ED adds to smite damage, and you will be using a shield for sure.

12. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Then you need to prioritize :laugh:

Charge wins in the "wow, that's a lot of damage" competition. But against Baal, it'll suck harder than an Strong/Fast/Fanat enchanted vacuum cleaner on steroids.

If the above leaves you undecided, my personal recommendation would be zeal. Relatively speaking, it'll benefit more from the off-weapon %ED you plan to pack. Plus it's so easy to use you can do it while drunk. Whereas drunken chargers tend to have a lot of "Where the feep am I?!?" moments.

13. erics

erics IncGamers Member

Then I imagine that Grief isn't the best weapon for a smiter then since it's a +dam not +ed...

With fanatacism not holy shock then I reckon.

14. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

No, the grief +damage adds to the base shield damage, which then gets upped by smite etc, so you can reach high damage

Someone give us the numbers about smiting with grief

15. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Yeah. The gear you mentioned definitely implies physical damage.

Plus, the way I see it, elemental zealing is more appropriate for a low-twinked context. Physical zealots seem to get the upper hand if you're richer. Elemental might come out on top again if you factor in stuff like infinity and dream. But I haven't yet gotten to the point where I do that outside of my own dreams.

16. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Exactly, you get the +~370 from grief which is added before your off weapon %Ed, your Aura %ED and your Smite %ED.

Bnetters use smite to take down the ubers since it can carry crushing blow, and ignores defense. They find grief nets them in the 5400 damage range, however, they use different armors to maintain the high %CB. So depending on how and where the %ED from fortitude enters the equation you should net between double or quadruple that amount. I would assume in the 10-12k range.

17. erics

erics IncGamers Member

Ultimately I'd like to pvp with thes fella. Is smite also good for that?

Is smite still treated like physical damage (I'm guessing so)? So Physical immune monsters will still be an issue?

Thanks everyone for your help/info :thumbsup: I think I'm about to make a character I've never tried before.

18. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

That's why a lot of smiters (also known as vindicators) use FoH as a secondary skill, There is a guide in the pally forum for a vindicator/templar.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=284278

19. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Well I guess I need to admit when I am wrong,

I did some testing with smite this weekend seems as though off weapon %ED does not add to the smite damage (didn't have much off weapon %ED to try with but even 10% on 110 smite damage with holy shield should have gone up some amount), nor does +min damage. not sure about plain old +damage (don't have any items to try with).

And found that smite damage is boosted with points into strength, I assume that has to do with the "weapon type" bonus from stats.

Would be a fun build with grief it would work, but not so sure it will work.

I found this in the pally forum

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  20. erics

erics IncGamers Member

Only RTB could make a post with more numbers than letters.