Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paladin from normal to hell: starting from zero

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by skymningsdagar, Feb 23, 2019.

1. skymningsdagar

skymningsdagar IncGamers Member

Hello everyone. I haven't played Diablo 2 in probably ten years or so (and even then I mostly PvPed and never actually played through the whole game), but a few days ago I played and finished the acts of Diablo 3 in a couple of hours and got the urge to revisit my old favourite game, the predecessor. I've started from the beginning with a Paladin, and I straddle a bit between going for a Smiter or some other meele-oriented skill-build. I scanned a couple of guides here on this forum but I noticed a lot of them has as a precondition the prospect of having access to highly qualified gear, which I don't, nor do I have any desire to get free items or so – I seek to complete every quest in every act solely by my own and by the equipment I find doing this. But which skill-build should I be going for with this in mind? As I said, a Smiter or a Zealot or something was what I had in mind. But the Smiter guide I can find in the collected guide-list on this forum is for a Uber Smiter who already has access to the best possible equipment. Maybe a Paladin with Fanaticism/Zeal is more realistically than a Smither? Hm...

As of now, I just arrived to Act 2 in normal as a lvl 14 Paladin.

Best regards,
    skymningsdagar

galtwish and peytron like this.
  2. peytron

peytron IncGamers Member

A Zealot Paladin is likely your best choice. You can use Smite as a backup skill for bosses of course.

Paladin's are probably the easiest class to run through to Hell untwinked since they are not as gear dependent.

I generally followed the guide you mentioned using the "budget" items mentioned at first and didn't have any difficulty questing through.

skymningsdagar and galtwish like this.
  3. skymningsdagar

skymningsdagar IncGamers Member

Thanks man. Your comment confirmed my suspicion that a Zealot would be the way to go. It's been quite a ride so far. I'm currently lvl 73 at Act 2 in Hell. Until now most stages have been quite easy. Not everywhere and always (Act 2 has been the most difficult act in all modes), but for the most time things have been doable. But it's seems that I now have reached a dead-end... I can't seem to get through the first quest in Act 2. Radamant is punishing me hard for my unwillingness to repent and surrender to the Dark Side of the Force... I won't! Journey continues...

4. peytron

peytron IncGamers Member

5. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Melee characters are too gear-dependent to make good first characters. Make a Summoning Necro or a Sorc to start with. Or a Hammerdin.

6. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Not really true. Fanazealots can get by with a progression of runeword weapons, and runes are easily farmed. Then you have elemental zealots, which can use almost anything. Steel > Strength > Black works fine. Anything fast.

7. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Runes are easily farmed by melee characters? Where?