Paladin from normal to hell: starting from zero

skymningsdagar

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello everyone. I haven't played Diablo 2 in probably ten years or so (and even then I mostly PvPed and never actually played through the whole game), but a few days ago I played and finished the acts of Diablo 3 in a couple of hours and got the urge to revisit my old favourite game, the predecessor. I've started from the beginning with a Paladin, and I straddle a bit between going for a Smiter or some other meele-oriented skill-build. I scanned a couple of guides here on this forum but I noticed a lot of them has as a precondition the prospect of having access to highly qualified gear, which I don't, nor do I have any desire to get free items or so – I seek to complete every quest in every act solely by my own and by the equipment I find doing this. But which skill-build should I be going for with this in mind? As I said, a Smiter or a Zealot or something was what I had in mind. But the Smiter guide I can find in the collected guide-list on this forum is for a Uber Smiter who already has access to the best possible equipment. Maybe a Paladin with Fanaticism/Zeal is more realistically than a Smither? Hm...

As of now, I just arrived to Act 2 in normal as a lvl 14 Paladin.

Best regards,
skymningsdagar

peytron

Diabloii.Net Member
A Zealot Paladin is likely your best choice. You can use Smite as a backup skill for bosses of course.

Paladin's are probably the easiest class to run through to Hell untwinked since they are not as gear dependent.

I generally followed the guide you mentioned using the "budget" items mentioned at first and didn't have any difficulty questing through.

skymningsdagar

Diabloii.Net Member
A Zealot Paladin is likely your best choice. You can use Smite as a backup skill for bosses of course.

Paladin's are probably the easiest class to run through to Hell untwinked since they are not as gear dependent.

I generally followed the guide you mentioned using the "budget" items mentioned at first and didn't have any difficulty questing through.
Thanks man. Your comment confirmed my suspicion that a Zealot would be the way to go. It's been quite a ride so far. I'm currently lvl 73 at Act 2 in Hell. Until now most stages have been quite easy. Not everywhere and always (Act 2 has been the most difficult act in all modes), but for the most time things have been doable. But it's seems that I now have reached a dead-end... I can't seem to get through the first quest in Act 2. Radamant is punishing me hard for my unwillingness to repent and surrender to the Dark Side of the Force... I won't! Journey continues...

NoisemakerArrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Melee characters are too gear-dependent to make good first characters. Make a Summoning Necro or a Sorc to start with. Or a Hammerdin.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Melee characters are too gear-dependent to make good first characters. Make a Summoning Necro or a Sorc to start with. Or a Hammerdin.
Not really true. Fanazealots can get by with a progression of runeword weapons, and runes are easily farmed. Then you have elemental zealots, which can use almost anything. Steel > Strength > Black works fine. Anything fast.

skymningsdagar

Diabloii.Net Member
I realised maybe we aren't looking at the same guide since we didn't post a link.

If you feel like typing up an overview of your stats and gear I'm sure there are lots of people here who can help advise on improvements. Good luck!

Hi again, sorry for getting back to you and this thread so slowly. I've played so much D2 the past couple of weeks I've not had the time nor the energy to get in here and speak on this character. So I managed to kill Radament by just eating up the corpses he constantly, as I recall it, revived by Redemption. And then it was pretty straightforward and I found a Heaven's Light off Andy which I killed Baal in Hell with. I took my Zealot to lvl 87 and then retired him. I've not touched him since the beginning of March.

After that I chose to lvl up an MF Sorc, which I've done. She's a Frozen Orb/Fireballer currently lvl 91. She's wearing a Tal Armor, Shako with P Topaz, Eschuta's, Spirit, Magefists, Tal-belt, War Travs, +1 Sorc Skills Amu, 1 Nagelring, 1 10% FCR Ring, and a two isted Alibabas and a Milbrega-shield on switch plus a 17/16/8 Anni. All this is self-found of course. The intention with her is obviously to fund other characters and to find that Holy Grail. Through the loot which I've gained with her I've started another Zealot, but this one with Holy Fire as the aura of choice. A completely unorthodox build of course, but I wanted to try it as I read a pretty cool and exciting guide on that character. I've been MFing like a maniac to fund his well-being, and as of now I've found him the following: Alma Negra with +2 Pally Skills (though I really want to get a hold of a Dragonscale, but Pindle has not been the most generous pal to me yet), Duriel's Shell/Guardian Angel (haven't decided which armor my Holy Fire Paladin is to wear), Djinn Slayer with 2 sockets (going to put two Fire Facets in it when I find my second), G Face, Gore Riders, String of Ears, Highlord's Wrath, Raven Frost and Bul Kathos as rings, Lava Gouts. I've got one +1 Offensive Auras and +1 Defensive Auras too, and an extra, low Anni.

I've found other cool items too but none that concern my future Holy Fire Paladin, so I guess those items shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

I'm very glad that there still is an alive forum for Diablo II and I greatly appreciate all advice I've gotten so far here. I've been reading lots of guides and threads here to refresh my knowledge and make my experience as smooth and enriching as possible.

Greetings from Sweden,
skymningsdagar

Last edited by a moderator:

Zyr

Diabloii.Net Member
P.S. I couldn't find in the SPF Rules whether or not it is allowed to speak of {prohibited mod name} here. It just says: "1.4 Do not post the names of/discuss mods or practices we don’t accept" but not whether it is permissible to speak of {prohibited mod name} or not.
Rule 2.10 is explicit.

2.10. No other mods are permitted and may not be named. Unless the mod is named above, it is not accepted here, even if it does something similar to something that we do accept. If in doubt, PM the Moderators and wait for a response.
Mods of the following types are banned, including but not limited to:
  • Character Editors
  • Trainers
  • Drop Mods
  • Muling applications other than ATMA / GoMule
  • Annihilus / Torch mods
  • Pandemonium event mod
Naming of banned mods is not permitted. We want to keep the forum as mod free as possible - Naming of banned mods means posts show up in search results, which attracts the wrong sort of players.