Paladin build questions (come V1.10)

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Paladin build questions (come V1.10)

Hey all. I've got a few questions/requests from all you veterans/experts here on the DII paladin forum. I've played the game before, but this is the first time I've played since 1.10 came out. My questions reguarding the paladin are these: what significant changes have been made reguarding the paladin's skills/abilities etc. (besides the synergy addition), and what builds are there that are viable in a 1.10 setting? I'm looking to make a character that can kill a lot in solo or large party hell games, be OK at dueling, and just be able to easily rush friends/others through all difficulties (I guess that goes under the kill-a-lot-in-hell category). Basically, I'm deciding what build to make that's pretty much good in an all around setting come V1.10. As I said, I just started playing again, but I still have background with the game itself. Maybe, if you can like...respond with different builds and like pros/cons or compare/contrast them for my purposes?

Enjoy, and thanks in advance.
:D

GargonCerlan

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd have to say the new runewords are the biggest boost besides the synergies in 1.10. Starting out a hammerdin seems to fit the criteria that you have laid out, and would suggest you do so, since one of the runewords which is fairly cheap and easy to make, ***Spirit*** can provide you with a great start to making a hammerdin.

***Spirit***
4 socket swords and shields (paladin only shields are great since they can be used way earlier than any of the other classes as all paladin shields can have 4 os with a level requirement of i think 3 (but the highest level requirement of the runes needed, amn is level 25 so you'd have to be level 25 to use it), while other classes can first use spirit in a monarch shield at level (56?))

Tal Thul Ort Amn

Weapons
+2 To All Skills
+25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage
+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
+250 Defense Vs. Missile
+22 To Vitality
+89-112 To Mana (varies)
+3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)

Shields
+2 To All Skills
+25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense Vs. Missile
+22 To Vitality
+89-112 To Mana (varies)
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
Attacker Takes Damage of 14

There are tons of new runewords out there which will benefit a multitude of classes, but I think starting out with a hammerdin would work great for rushing friends, leveling, and general magic find, enough to get you the gear to make whatever your next character will be. Welcome Back.

GargonCerlan :drink: :buddies:

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the insight...I also have a sorceress I'm making for the same general criteria: MF, solo/group hell, rushing, etc. I think I chose the most versitile build for that too--meteorb (well, I'll leave sorceress discussion to that forum, so as to not clutter this one). I still wonder what other builds are equally viable for the paladin. I hear that a zealot still might work, as sacrifice is now a synergy for zeal, and that there are a few other builds that look pretty enticing too. I hear smiters now work pretty well, and also chargers, avengers, etc. Again--if anyone can like do a compare/contrast type thingy, that'd help me too. Is the "dreamer" build really as wellrounded as it sounds? According to the guide(s) I've read, it sounds like a pretty...unique--but effective--build. Does it really fare as well in Hell as it says it does?

Thanks again.

GargonCerlan

Diabloii.Net Member
well let's put it this way. Every other paladin build is gear-intensive including zealot. You need a high damage weapon to make it work. The reason I suggest hammerdin is this:

Hammers have two synergies which add 14% damage per skill point added (vigor and blessed aim).

I have a hammerdin which has not put points into concentrate (which is the only paladin aura that affects blessed hammer) and he has about 6k min and max damage. I think with his +skills items, he is at level 28 blessed hammers. (I de-geared him). Hammerdins have the potential to do about 15,000 min and max hammer damage which is huge given the large life boost all monsters got with the 1.10 patch. This is why I suggest hammerdin at first until you get the gear to start with another build.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
...the only negative thing I've heard about hammerdins is that in order to have a "good" or "successful" one, you need mad-expensive gear. Like...enigma or heart of the oak runewords.

blah...

foh pally

Diabloii.Net Member
gibsonSG said:
...the only negative thing I've heard about hammerdins is that in order to have a "good" or "successful" one, you need mad-expensive gear. Like...enigma or heart of the oak runewords.

blah...
actually hammerdin is probally one of the cheapest gear based builds for a pally, even without all the good gear just havin hammer,syn, and conc maxed gives you good damage, hoto is nice with the plus skills and fcr and some resists but you can use a wizspike or something else too. only prob with a hammerdin is that the skill kinda requires you to be in the middle of everything unless you play it safe and just cast hammerfields and run, thats why ppl like usin enigma with a hammerdin(well that and the life boost) I've seen some really poor hammerdin rock at pvm by playin it safe so.......

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Ooooooo. Sounds pretty neat. But again, just out of curiosity, what are some of the other builds that can "compete" with the hammerdin come 1.10? I might think of leaning towards a more melee character, or one of the "wierder" builds (dreamer maybe?). Meh, either way I have plenty of time to decide--my paladin's only like a level...15, or so, mule.

GargonCerlan

Diabloii.Net Member
gibsonSG said:
I might think of leaning towards a more melee character, or one of the "wierder" builds (dreamer maybe?).
The problem is, if you can afford the 2 Dream runewords (helm and shield) then you should be able to afford enigma, and heart of the oak. Without the 2 dreams, you can't really make a dreamer, tesladin yes, dreamer no. If you want to go with melee, a zealot can make it through hell finding equipment along the way, but without any leech, it will be incredibly hard, although I suppose you could always use redemption...

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
If your looking for a melee type pally, a frost zealot or a tesladin is probably your best choice. Both can do fine in hell w/o much twinking. There are some pretty good guides in the sticy, you should check them out, they'll describe the chars far better than I can.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmmm....sounds interesting, though the one frost-zealot guide I read said something about getting destroyed come early/mid hell games. Does anyone know how effective the build is against baal in hell? If I'm not mistaken, the cold aura will chill cold immunes, but not damage them, correct?

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
Taken from the 1.10 Paladin FAQ by Ragnarod: Holy Freeze: This aura has got Cold damage added to your attack now, besides its classic slow effect, which makes it an even more useful aura than it ever was, specially since you can hire a mercenary with this aura, or get it from the ‘Doom’ runeword. Note that even if you get the aura from the runeword, its cold damage will be increased by the synergies, if you have points invested in any (Cold Resistance and Salvation). Holy Freeze isn’t affected by Cannot Be Frozen or any other mod, and cannot be resisted. You can avoid being targeted by Holy Freeze if there’s some obstacle between the character with Holy Freeze and you, such as a house, the mud pools you can’t thread in the Blood Moor... Note that some monsters are immune to the effects of Holy Freeze (Act 5 Frenzytaurs for example)

As for the frost zealot, from what I've read you need alot of crushing blow in order to do well in the later stages of hell.

Weltkriegpally

Diabloii.Net Member
its damage CAN be resisted and absorbed, but its slow cannot. however, crushing blow isn't required, but it does make things more interesting. for any zealot, crushing blow/deadly strike are desirable mods, given that you are a fast hitter. a frost zealot has the added advantage (or any zealot with high crushing, really) of being able to take down act bosses and dclone really quickly. Its very useful. add in a merc with reapers and bingo, happy times for you!

--welt

zero_hour

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a level 83 Frost Zealot and he can solo Hell Baal Pretty easily. If you are not underlevel you shouldnt get destroyed.

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal
Weltkriegpally said:
its damage CAN be resisted and absorbed, but its slow cannot
That's right, the holy freeze part in the FAQ is misleading now that I reread it, probably because I originally wrote it for 1.09, and missed updating it properly when I remade the FAQ for 1.10 :mad: