Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paintballers(?) needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cyclotronic, Mar 27, 2004.

1. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Paintballers(?) needed

I'm in the market for a good baintball gun. Im a begginer so i dont need anyfancy high priced guns.
    Im lasking you guys what you recommend in a paint ball gun for a begginer. And also whats a good price for it(dont want to be screwed)

I have heard the tippman98 is an excelent begginer gun, a few of my freinds like them, but what do you guys think i should look for.
    Thanks

2. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I have the tipmann 98 custom and I like it. People might say OMG TEH TIPMAN IS TEH SUXXOR!!!1! but those are the people who have been playing for hella long and have angels. The tipmann has awesome upgradability. Get a flatliner and a reponse trigger and maybe an expansion chamber and your good to go.

3. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

This is all you'll ever need. Beginner or otherwise :innocent:

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

:O Holly smack! That woudl go well with the halo armor.

5. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

OT: wow th did you get a haircut or something you look different. Oh wait its that crazy new avatar.

To make this post revelant. Cyclo you might wanna look into spyders. They have some nice guns, especially the E99, a couple of my friends have those and they got them pretty modded up and they are hella good.

6. cyclotronic

Ya my freind had a spider shutter he said was decent.

7. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Here's some advice. When you buy a mask MAKE SURE IT HAS ANTI FOG!!!!!!!!!!!! If you get a mask with no anti fog you will regret it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. When your running around you get reallly sweaty and your mask it fog up hella bad and if you don't have the anti-fog then you won't be able to see ****. Even if it costs you $20 more to get the AF then do it. It will be worth every penny.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Cyc, the Tippmann 98 Custom is a very versatile, cheap and good overall gun. It's upgradeable and it will last you a long time. If you are beggining, like seriously beggining, I recommend just borrowing guns (usually spyders or 98's in most paintball fields).

If you've just started and you must get a marker, I'd say get a tippmann 98 or a spyder. The Spyder Shutter is pretty good from my experience. Do not get the tippman A5, it sucks.

Look into other guns if you don't want to end up buying two (look for higher-end ones, like angels etc...)

Yes, your headgear is the most important part really. A lot of newbies buy really nice guns and stinge on the mask:

Awesome gun + crappy mask = can't see anything, shoot teammates with awesome gun

crappy gun + awesome mask = see everything, shoot enemies with crappy gun (sometimes team mates)

Awesome gun + awesome mask = teh win

but seriously, get a mask with double lenses (anti-fog). DO NOT BUY A MASK WITH FANS. Although those do clear the fog off really quick (they're not on all teh time, you turn them on when fog comes up and off when it's gone), they are noisy, heavy and require batteries. Just buy a good mask with good anti-fog

Gloves are also very important. You don't have to go out and buy nice leather gloves or anything, just get some garden gloves and cut the ends so that your fingertips stick out for grip etc...

9. cyclotronic

I wrote that down. Thanks. What about the suit? Thinken about some camo from a army surplus store?

10. cyclotronic

Masterazn, I am not starting completly. I'v barrowed guns and stuff. I thinking spider with the extras, colapsable stock sounds cool too. I don't have the cash for angels and autocockers and what now, and i will never be in a game where i need those.

11. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Okay, then definetely get a 98 or a spyder.

(I personally prefer the spyders over the custom 98 because they're lighter and much easier to handle, go for spyder shutter or Xtra)

The Shutter does have a bunch of useless crap but you may need it some day. There some new Spyders (we're talking semi-auto because full auto is stupid and no fun) but I haven't tried them. I have tried the Victor and Victor second generation, they both weren't that good. So, shutter or xtra in my opinion, you won't regret it.

12. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Listen to masterazn about the gloves. Getting hit in the fingers, especially the knuckle, hurts more than any other place on the body. I'd rather get shot in the nuts than on my knuckle. And yes I say this from experience.

For clothes: When you go try to wear stuff that is light and breathable but will also protect you from the pain(or just take it like a man). If you get something too heavy and thick you will sweat and become reaaalllly hot and then your mask will fog up from all the presperation. Also for camo, it depends what type of paintballing arenas are in your area. We have two, one you wouldn't have to worry about wearing camo because its small and there's mostly human-made bunkers. The other one is completly wooded and camo is a must. So scope out the territory and then choose accordindly. Unless you just wanna buy paintball clothes like I have then just get all camo. But remember light not thick.

EDIT: Thought about something with the tipmann 98. If you get the response trigger there's this little trick you can do to make it fire almost 100% full auto. You have to pull the trigger back to a certain spot and hold your finger there. When the trigger gets popped back up from the gas(read up on how it works) it will fire so it doesn't have to most very fast so it's like full auto. Of course you would probably get in big trouble if you were caught doing this since you can't have full autos in a recreational arena.

13. KillerQueen

KillerQueen IncGamers Member

My husband has the Tippmann 98 one, too and he likes it. When he was shopping for his paintball gun he really wanted the Tippman A5, but they were out of stock, so he got the 98 and he is very happy with it.

He usually plays in this really dense forest with a lot of trees and vines and stuff, and for that he went all out at a military store and got all kinds of cammo. He also plays at a field, and then he doesn't care what he wears.

14. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Ph34r my angel LCD!!!!!!

For camo, he's playing in woodlands. Like Canadia said, get something light and breathable. Protection from pain? You kind of get used to it after a while, but sure why not. Later on, if you really get into, consider knee pads and elbow pads as they help a lot (wrist guards are very nice to have). But first, gloves are a must and a good mask is essential.

15. Night

Night IncGamers Member

I need to know your price range for all of your gear:) Especially your gun.

When paintballing if you're at a field that is anything but woods ball just wear whatever you want. I usually go out in a t-shirt (sometimes I'll have a long sleeve shirt on top if I'm feeling like a baby) and jeans and its no easier to see me than it is to see the fools with camo on.
    (((EDIT:some camo is alright for woodsball but you really don't want to wear more than 2 layers of clothes (shirt and army jacket, for example).)))
    I'd recommend knee pads ASAP--they have saved me from so much pain its unbelievable.
    Get a good mask.

Masterazn: Bah, I like my bushy.

16. cyclotronic

Tippman98,good antifog mask, army gear. gloves. Thats what i will buy to start out with. anyother things you think i will need?

EDIS: Ohya what size Co2 do I need, my freinds say anything below 20 is crap.

17. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Refills generally are all around $5 and a 20 oz will last waaaaay longer than the rest, only trade off is bigger and heavier, but go to the gym a few times and you'll be straight. I used a 12 oz for a very long time as it was slightly smaller, and then jumped to Nitro. But it seems to be 20 is a standard these days.

Also if you spray paint like a mofo then buy paint harness, when I started I bought an anti-fog enforcer mask and some generic paint harness but it went on my belt loop and held two pods that carried 100 a piece, only used it like 5 or 6 time out of 50, but those times I needed it really made me feel good for having it.
    Whats worse? Running low on paint and conserving and then getting shot soon, or knowing you'll have enough by spending another $5?

18. cyclotronic

So there like hard plastic or something that loop onto your belt? Sounds pretty nice.

19. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Ah yes I forgot all about pods. They are pods that hold extra paint in them. You can get those pretty cheap, and you'll want a pack to hold them in and those are kinda expensive.

I have a 9oz tank and that gives me about 300 shots. Refills for it are 2 bucks at every place I've gone, so I'm assuming it'd be the same for you. You might wanna get a bigger tank but remember they get pretty heavy. Eventually you might wanna upgrade to nitrogen, thats a lot more effecient but woo is it expensive.

20. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Stick with CO2, nitrogen is way too expensive in my opinion. Plus, you don't want to switch your 98 to nitrogen.

As for pods, really depends how much you shoot. But just remember, get a good mask before anything else.

Night: I have BM2k as well! :)