Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Painfull bonespears

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Slartibartfast, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

Painfull bonespears

I Was wondering... is there any way that u people know of to prevent being killed by bonespears in a matter of seconds?
    My hammerdin has really big problems with claw vipers during baal runs.... (usually i just run past the entire keep lvl as soon as i see them :)) after taking only 4 or 5 bonespears its really time to start teking rejuvs
    Black souls etc are no big problem.. all resist are 90 but those bonespears hurt a lot.. just a question of more MDR? or are there other ways?

2. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

More physical damage reduction. Those bone spears actually deal physical damage, as opposed to the necromancer spell. Bit like those bolts fired by Sirens and the likes, they also deal physical damage.

3. Slartibartfast

Ah thx. That explains a lot, although I have no clue how get more pdr on him :D ah well i just keep skipping the vipers then i guess

4. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

shaftshop/gaze/stormshield that kind off items have great PDR, and since PDR is capped @ 50% anywayz, all u need is a nice shaft (maybe upgrade it to a boneweave for some huge defense) and your set ... off course u can switch it when finishing off baal and put your, possibly, skulders back on ;)

robin

5. Slartibartfast

Hehe i know what items have pdr.. i've been playing for a few years now.. But what i meant is that when I give him shaft instead of Guardian all his resists will go down quite a bit and his blocking... i wouldn't even dare to think what'll happen to that... he is not wearing a HoZ as i can't seem to find it.. I think block will go under 60... And for a storm he hasn't got enough str :D

6. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Odd. My fishymancer loves those claw viper and alike, once revived, they make up a powerfull kill machine and unstopable army. I seems to record they kill PIs in hell, in act5 hell they are one of the best to revive. I'm sure they kill PIs, 'cos I sometimes use them to kill those ghost like PIs, without cast amp dmg (eg. if there are too many glaoms/blacksoul/burningsoul around, I don't want to get killed, so I would hind behind a wall, and let my army, if possible revive to do all the work without my curse support).

I need to do some test on this, just to be sure they deal physical dmg.

7. Slartibartfast

Well if i recall correctly Blessed hammer does magical damage but i can't say i have any probs with Horadrim Ancients or whatever they are called in act 5 but they are definately immune to magic Thought that was a bit weird too in the beginning... not that i mind havving any probs killing that but it still seems a bit odd to me :)

8. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

blessed hammer pierces MI on undead thasts why you can kill them only the big monsters in the ruined temple are immune to blessed hammer no other monster in the game is.

nice isent it :clap:

9. DeathMaster

check the hammerdin guard, your answer is there. The hammer bypass their resist/immune.

10. Slartibartfast

I see.. Well i have never been someone te read lots of guides an articles etc :) but still nice to know, thx

11. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

I find that the ones on the last level of Halls of Pain are so much stronger. They shoot that kinda poison trap you find in act 2 and 3. Beat the hell out of my paly with 75% poison resist.

12. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

There are also fire spitting ones, it the pit of acheron and abyddon IIRC.

13. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

i'm sorry, i couldn't resist :lol:

14. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

yeah i was waiting for that one ^^ would be kinda lame if i quoted myself now wouldn't it :lol:

robin

15. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Depending on what character you are playing, I would recommend Cloak of Shadows for assassins and attract/dim vision/comfuse for necro's. Other than that, PDR works too.

crg

16. Gruntmaster

Gruntmaster IncGamers Member

Another option is to make a Sanctuary [ Ko Ko Mal ] shield and use the Slow Missles charges to slow the spears down and then you can walk away from them while still casting hammers.

Of course you give up any bonuses on a Pally shield, but it might be handy on the weapon switch the the bone spears start coming in.

17. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

They're bugged and deal insanely high damage everytime you walk IN the stream of poison.

18. DeathMaster

Just tested, and the result:

Those bone spears, they do magic damage!!!! PDR will offer you no protection against them. How did I know? I run my HC fishy to WSK, found some claw viper (or alike), take one hit from bone spear. I can see health drop in half, and my crappy bone armor was still around. If it deals physical damage, bone armor should be gone, but it didn't. To be sure sure, I TP back to town, change a gear to give some PDR, back to WSK, take another hit, back to town, write down the health level, change back to normal gear, heal and back to another hit, compare the result; both time, health lost were the same. So, NO WAY it is physical damage. You just can't do much about it, as there is no much in game you can reduce magic damage (magic damage reduced by X item is a joke again such attack).

I repeat, it is MAGIC damage!

19. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Also tested.. I guess i was hallucinating when i thought my necro takes less damage from them spears... lol..

My pally took between 70-90 damage a spear, with 30%DR from shaft...

My necro, the only time i could observe a spear hit, was at about 60 damage, other times, it was too many at one go, or messed up with charge or the snakes keep trying to melee me.. morons.. had to get my merc to die too. I's say it's about the same...

Speare are definitely blockable though =D. Will help a lot on a hamerdin.

20. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Energy Shield works fine against magic damage ;)
    I guess I was confused with the balls fired by the stygian harlot types then...I recall those being physical (and thus extra-hurty with their Amplify Damage).