Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pain Enhancer LG + Sentrys = ?

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by DemonScumby, Oct 30, 2014.

1. DemonScumby

DemonScumby Diabloii.Net Member

I have been researching and testing Pain Enhancer on my M6, and cannot figure out if Sentrys are proccing it.
    My first test was seeing if Pain Enhancer was deadly against Reflect Damage packs, much like Flux's story about the Gem of Efficacious Toxin with Stonesinger. As luck had it, I actually got Stonesinger in the second rift, laid out sentrys and took no damage. Then I started thinking Is it even proccing? I have looked through threads and it seems to be a back and forth of yes it does, no it doesn't. Does anybody have any knowledge about this? I would really love to figure this out. Thanks. Back to testing.

Demonscumby#1159

2. tougeznut

tougeznut Diabloii.Net Member

Bump. Curious as well.

3. altermaven

altermaven Diabloii.Net Member

From my conclusion of testing on M6 level, it appears that the sentries do proc Pain Enhancer, but as we're not seeing the action involved on the monster most of the time it's a tough call to see if PE is doing its job. But it is.

Since PE only works on conditional (Crit damage) it seems to dodge the ability of being reflected back on you with the DOT, but if a monster throws up Reflects Damage, the only thing that you'll feel is the crit bouncing back, not the DOT.

Toxin gem, however is a different case; since the effect is applied immediately, that too will work against you only if monster has Missile Reflection skill, and you are so happen to be hit by your reflected projectile, forcing a slow, painful, almost inevitable death if you don't have Awareness, or if Awareness proc'd already, and you're not using Smoke Screen, and you can't use your potion b/c it's on cooldown.

In general: yes it's safer to use PE over toxin gem esp. against monsters that have Missile Reflection skills like Stonesinger, Sokahr the Keywarden, and the general mobs for whom these two are based. Having an activated toxin gem is simply not worth the risk, and PE can carry the damage more effectively in this case without wiping you out in the process.