Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

P.O. Box for PAL donations goes live!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sergeant, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

P.O. Box for PAL donations goes live!

I have dubbed this program G.O.R.E. (you figure it out, it's not that cryptic).

So, here's how it works:

• A donation is received through the postal box.
    • A donation is made via paypal by myself in the amount received. Any instructions that came with the payment will be included. For total donation amounts of $100 or less, the donation will be sent through paypal the day it is received. For donations totalling $101 or more, I will deposit it before sending it through paypal.
    • A follow on e-mail is sent to Elly and the person donating. Notifying site admin of the donation, who it is for and any other pertinent information needed to complete the donation.
    • The user's name, forum name, e-mail address, donation amount and date received will be tracked on a custom written program (thanks to Zodiac's husband for this!) to keep a clean record of what was received, when and by who as well as the effective dates of the donation.
    • With the above logged information, we will be able to send an e-mail to the user on the last month (about 2.5 weeks out) of their donation to allow time for the donation to be renewed, if desired, so their status remains unchanged.
    • This postal box will be used for no other purpose than receiving donations for this site and any other associate sites run by our dear admins.
    • Your personal information sent with donation will not be distributed, sold or given to ANYONE with the exception of passing necessary info to the admins so the donation can be completed. It will be used for no other purpose than this donation program.
    • Donations must be in US funds. Acceptable forms are cash (please send in a security envelop or secure packaging), personal checks or money orders. All non-cash donations (checks & money orders) MUST be made out to me so I can deposit them to my account, otherwise the donation will have to be returned.

Here is the spanking new address to use:

Sergeant Joshua Tripp
    Attn: PAL Donation
    P.O. Box 25162
    Scott AFB, IL 62225

When you send a donation, please include:

• Real Name
    • Forum Name
    • E-mail address
    • Instructions for disbursement (i.e. a $20 total donation, spread it out $2/month for 10 months)

Also, the mailbox costs $24 for six months. It's very cheap. I've already received word from two people who want to split the cost with me. So as of right now, it's costing each of us only $16 per YEAR. If any of you want to chip in a buck or two to that, it will be appreciated. If you do and the post box has been paid up for the year, I will deposit that amount in my paypal account. If in the future the box gets shutdown because I move or some similar situation, I will keep a log of what money has been collected and from whom it came. At that time, I will contact the people concerned and ask you what you'd like to do with it, whether it be a refund to you, a PAL donation on your behalf (if enough) or a single, flat donation to the site.

I realize some will have issued with sending someone money in the mail. I realize you have to make payments in my name and I realize it is an issue of trust and trustworthiness. I wish there was some way to reassure you all. I hold this site and it's admins in the highest regards. I will treat your donation and personal information with the utmost of care, privacy and integrity. You will be included in any correspondence to the site admin referring to your donation.

Zodiac is going to be the first to make her donation in this method and several of you have expressed interest in doing the same. I encourage you all to give it a shot. Once you see how well it works, word will spread, more will donate and we may be able to keep this site off the chopping block. We all love this site, especially the forums. This is an easy way we can help safeguard it's future.

It doesn't cost much for your support. A minimum of $1 per month is all that's required for PAL status. If you make a donation that amounts to less than that, your donation will still be valid but you will not have PAL status. That is a site directive, not mine. So please, most all of us can afford $1 per month. For a measly $12 (minimum remember) bucks you can secure PAL status for a whole YEAR and help support this site and the phenomenal people who run it and shoulder much of the financial burden.

You have my word, on the reputation I've made for myself here as an upstanding guy that your money is in good, safe hands with me. There are many people here who would vouch the same of me. My ONLY interest in this is to help this site stay afloat and prosper as long as it can. Nor I or anyone else helping me will make ANY money off this. All money will go to either Elly and crew or to pay for the mailbox, depending on your own instructions. With that, I open the floor for discussion and let the donations begin!

EDIT: Also, appreciate if an admin can sticky this somewhere and get the word to the other forums. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would like to get in on this and donate.

2. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

Hey sarge, thanks for doing this again. Got the envelope addressed and I just need to get stamps and then It'll be there. Thanks again! :)

3. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

Well, It'll be a lil bit of a hassle getting my Canadian $$$ transfered into US funds, but I'll do what i can

mods i say sticky this thread so we can all easily see the address to send to in these dark times

4. Empired

Empired IncGamers Member

This really is a great idea... thanks, Zodiac and Sarge. This'll make it so much easier to donate. My donation will be in the mail tomorrow.

5. Sergeant

I've PM'd Gaile and Freet requesting they sticky this thread, we'll wait that one out. For now, it's enough that it's on the front page and we'll do our best to keep it visible for all to see.

6. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Boy this thread is Uber-cool! If only there were some Method of keeping it in the Public eye . . .

Good work, guys.

7. Sergeant

Durf, your blatant subtlty is completely unacceptable.

8. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

I have a question. Say a well-to-do gentleman was to allocate an outlandish sum of money to donate to this site (for example's sake, 1,000,000). If the donation was more than enough to last the site for a good while, would Elly pocket the extra money? Do the moderators get a salary? How is this handled?

**Note: I am not a well-to-do gentleman [ not yet ]

9. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

Can we like get this sticky plskthx.

Dj_Otaku

10. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Elly would most likely keep it in the D2 Paypal account, which also serves as a bank account. She would not access the money herself unless given permission to do so. I have found the admins to be above reproach when it comes to monetary matters. Please trust me when I say the slow turnaround in Palness is not due to laziness, but due to other factors beyond everyone's control.

11. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Lets keep this at the top!

12. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Thank you, Sergeant, for providing a wonderful, community-created method for donating to this site. diabloii.net has been my home page for around three years now and I'd hate to see it vanish.

I wonder if there is anything else we as a community can do to help improve the quality and content of this site and perhaps even reduce the costs to maintain it. I can only donate a few dollars here and there, but I do have a wealth of time to give.

At any rate, one thing at a time I suppose. ;) This thread needs to be stickied!

13. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Nice idea Sarge ... very commendable :thumbsup:

14. Sergeant

I'm thinking Elly would hang onto it in the D2 PayPal account. I think the Admins here have proved themselves to be trustworthy with the money put in their charge. I don't think Elly would do such a thing as take money donated to support the site and use it for personal means.

*NOTE TO ALL*

We are currently in a brief holding pattern while Gaile gets word to Elly and probably Rush. Since the call is in the hands of Elly and Rush, it's only appropriate we have their backing before going full bore. Gaile has given me her thanks and approval, as has OneMadOgre. Now we're just waiting on word from Elly and Rush. Once (and if) we have their backing, we will blow this thing wide open. For the people who have already sent money by the time they read this, don't worry, your money will be safe while we wait on word from our dear admins.

Elly has been unavailable for a short while and Gaile is working very hard at getting word to her so we don't lose the momentum that's been built up from interest in this. Be patient and keep encouraging and supporting this program and this site. If the admins see an overwhelming outpouring of support, it'd be hard for them to turn down so many who are ready and willing, eager, to help. I'm so priveleged to be doing this and if anyone has ideas to improve this process or help out in it in anyway, please let us know.

No one's mentioned the desire to do something like this in Canada, Asia or Europe for those in those areas to make similar donations easier. Thanks for all your support and keep it up, no one here wants to look for another site like this cause we all know there just isn't one with this kind of community. :xsmile5:

15. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

Heheh.. that reminds me that my contribution will be over next month. Time to refill the PAL status. :)

16. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Sarge,

See my post (#67) in your other thread.

All of these checks and money orders will be made out to you personally. It would be teh suxxor if the IRS wants to consider this income for you. You should look into this. I am sure that proper recordkeeping is a must here for this reason. Please seek proffessional advice here.

Very commendable actions, sir!

NB :thumbsup:

~edit~ If the IRS thinks you are screwing them, they will take your money from your account without any notice and then the burden of proof is on you. Meanwhile, your mortgage or car payment check bounces, and people are pissed at you for being a "deadbeat."

Not sure, but, if the donations go over $600.00 a year, then they can look at it, I believe. Please, be careful.

17. jaxmax

jaxmax IncGamers Member

Does this mean that it is only people in the US that can donate, or can i do it too as long as i send it to the US? (sorry if it is a stupid question but i never did this kind of thing before)

18. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

Well if it is possable to get this stickyed in all the forums you would get more responses back, considering that not all people that use the forums come to the OTF..

19. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Need some ideas on how you can support dii.net?

• Mow someone's lawn once a month
    • Shovel someone's snow
    • Babysit
    • House sit
    • Pet sit (don't actually sit on the pets, experience has shown that this is not good)
    • Beat your friends in poker and yoink their money
    • Learn how to pick pockets
    • Go into politics and just take some
    • Become a CEO, say you'll fire a bunch of peopel so your stock goes up a quarter of a point. Multiply that by your 4 million shares, and you're a millionaire!
    • Go one day without food, and spend your food money here
    • Go one day without smoking/drinking *gasp* and spend your sin money here ;)
    • Sell your children on ebay
    • Sell yourself on ebay
    • Sell yourself on the street corner
    • Rob a bank
    • Print your own money. Just make sure it's not a 3-dollar bill with Durf's face on it. I don't think you'd be able to pass that in many stores.
    • Go back in time to the Old West and rob the train carrying the master money printing plates
    • Hell, since you've got a time machine, go back to 1998 and bet someone that in 5 years the Bengals won't have a losing season. Or bet that the Cubs will make the NLCS.
    • Check under the couch cushions of everyone's house you go to
    • Look behind people's ears. Magicians always find money there.
    • Shop somewhere having a "the more you buy, the more you save" sale, and buy lots of stuff. Send in all the money you saved.
    • Eat giraffes
    • Grow your hair out really long, then cut it off and sell it to a wig store
    • Dance naked for pennies (you're not that good looking)
    • Play an instrument on a street corner
    • Sit on a street corner with a sign that says "my online personality is homless, ah screw it, why lie, my online personality wants beer"
    • Sell AOL CDs as futuristic coasters

That's just a small sampling of things you can do to earn money to support your favorite website. Now get out there and get busy!

20. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

when it gets warmer out im going to start improvising with one of my friends in front of this small pizza place down the street from me, ill see what i can scrounge meanwhile.