Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

P.O. Box for DiabloII.net donations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sergeant, Jan 28, 2004.

?

Hardcore or Softcore?

1. Hardcore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Softcore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I blame Durfcore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

P.O. Box for DiabloII.net donations?

Simple enough. If you read Anyee's thread, you know this site is in very real danger of closing down. Mostly due to the costs of maintaining it and the lack of community support in shouldering that burden.

I know many of you cannot donate because you don't have a credit card or paypal account and simply have no mean to do so. I know many of you would if there were a way to donate with a check or cash donation.

My proposal is simple. I'm willing to secure and maintain a post office box here in the states for anyone who wants to donate to dii.net. The donations would get sent to that box and I would make all donations on behalf of whoever sent them. I would only need the donation, site username and how the donation should be split up ($1/mo, $2/mo, etc...).

I've donated for people in the past and have not asked for a dime in return. I love this site and would do all I could to help support it. If any of you out there would donate in this manner if it would be available, please vote as such. If you would not, vote negative.

Also, please leave your suggestions, comments, ideas and whatnot. If you vote, whichever way you vote, please leave a comment here as to why you voted the way you did. I will only do this if there's enough people willing to donate. I will cover the cost of the po box as long as enough people will donate. I'm also open to anyone who will split the cost of the box with me and partner up in this effort. We all love this site, it's high time we really show we want it to stay.

2. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I moved my reply here from the broken thread.

It´s a great idea Sarge (and Zodiac... who originally came up with it).

I have a donation in processing right now so I wouldn´t be using it right away, but the next time I donate it would be great to be able to do it via the old cash in an envelope method. It would still be a hassle but it would be possible at least.
    This time I had to bother another poster with it. Even though it was all worked out I would have preferred to have had a way of solving the problem myself.
    Thanks secret benefactor! :D

3. Sergeant

Yes yes, it was Zodiac's idea. I mentioned that the first time I did this thread but messed that one up. I forgot to mention it in this one. Zodiac suggested this in Anyee's thread.

4. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Thanks Sarge! I would have set one up at the post office where I work, but I run into the problem that I do not work during the winter and it is 45 mins. away. Plus, I don't have a PayPal account.

Everyone who posts here should anty up even $1.00 a month. This site gives everyone countless hours of entertainment.

I can send you off a bit of cash to help with the cost of the box.

5. toader

toader Banned

Well....im kinda having issues with the donation thing. Im just kinda passing it off as people being busy I guess.

I donated money on Jan 9th. Look at my name....what color is it? I understand people get busy, but Elly has the time to remove money from my account, but not click to make me a Pal?

I have sent her PMs...no answer. Finally I copied the PMs and sent them to Gaile, she responded at least to me, saying she would pass it along to Elly...still no word from Elly.

I guess it doesnt really matter, I know the money got into her hands. A lady named Elanor Davis took it out....i can only assume thats Elly. It just kinda irks me a little when I take a risk and send paypal money to someone and then I am not able to contact that person, or they dont return my contacts. Yet I see the person posting new things on the main page, and I know its not that shes out of town or something like that.

Grrr.

Anyways, that was my personal issue and my story of whats been going on. But I love the site, and I know its having money issues, so come February 9th, Ill make another donation.

6. Drosselmeier

That
    wasn´t a jab at you Sarge. I just didn´t want to forget to thank zody for bringing it up.

About a month ago I was kinda wishing for something like this. Had the infrastructure been there I would have used it to donate. It´s a really good idea since a lot of the posters here are either too young to get a credit card or, like me, have... well... bad credit.

I hope this gets a positive response and takes off.

I also think that an Asian and European "donation-station" would be a good idea, as you suggested in another post.

7. zodiac66

I was also thinking about having people from Asia and Europe who can collect donations. It would be much easier, no currency exchange issues.

What all do you guys think of dues to belong to the community? If we have the PO box in place, there is not reason that everyone who wishes to view the forums shouldn't contribute at least a minimum amount. Even though I am not working right now, I think I can manage to scrape together some money each month. The amount contributed would amount to a soda or 2, as Sarge said. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have mandatory contributions.

8. Drosselmeier

I´m against mandatory donations. I think it will just cost the forum a lot of old members and also scare off many new members. I know that I would not have joined the OTF if donations had been mandatory at the time. It took a while to get hooked and to really start appreciating the forum.

9. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Actually Paypal automatically takes the money, and it automatically gets added to Elly's account - assuming you donated to her paypal account.

10. Sergeant

While dues is a good idea at heart, it would not work. As soon as people "have" to pay for something that has long since been free, they tend to get turned off to it.

Keeping them volunteer is the best way to go. It gives people a choice and, with enough urging and logic, most people can see that donating to this site doesn't take much money or effort and the return on investment and gratitude of the site admin is, at minimum, equivalent to the donation made.

11. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

I remember a few other people having this problem when Elly was busy or something. If I remember correctly it all got sorted out within four or five weeks.

12. a3d

a3d IncGamers Member

I'll donate.

Then I can get a damned signature.
    And maybe Alittle respect.:grrr:

13. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Pipe down you! :D

14. zodiac66

I would hope that would be the situation, but as it is now, voluntary donations are just not enough. Maybe the PO box will get more people to donate..I certainly hope so. Dross does bring up some good points. I was just trying to brainstorm some ideas so we can make sure the monthly expedatures get met. I have met many wonderful people here and I sure would hate to see this forum go. :hanky:

15. toader

toader Banned

Yea, I aint worried about it. Im gonna keep on donating, Pal status or not. I just kinda wanted access to the secret Pal forum :)

And a sig would be nice, Hellfire has said some things that need to be in a sig, heh

Back on topic: I think a P.O. Box would help. Although its not a safe way to send money, and the box will cost Elly some money to maintain, and her time to get to it also. If you wanna look at both sides of the issue...we all know there are some punks running around the forums...Elly might find some stinkies in her box (PO Box) from time to time...which wouldnt be pleasant. But I think if enough people emailed her and said they would use it to donate...then it might be a good thing for the sites expenses.

16. a3d

a3d IncGamers Member

"I gets no respect"

Bah, set up the P.O.Box it'll work.
    Can I donate in pennies?

17. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

So get your address up already, i'll send what i have

i have no wishes to be a PAL, but i don't want the forums to go

18. zodiac66

Sarge said he would maintain the PO box, so it wouldn't be a burden on any of the admins. They do enough here, time and money wise.

19. Dark Knight

Dark Knight IncGamers Member

If this were to happen it should surely be the admins setting up the P.O. Box account (e.g holding everyones money)...

20. jaxmax

jaxmax IncGamers Member

i would donate but i am too young for a credit card... this sounds just great as i have some spare money right now. It is just that i would never get enough money to pay for the joy these great sites bring me.... anyhow, just tell me where and i will send some money along.