Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OW! Watch the sunburn!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirkdig, May 9, 2005.

1. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

OW! Watch the sunburn!

This weekend was my school's beach weekend party, celebrating the time when we should be getting out of school with everyone else, but instead remain for another 3 weeks.

I got sun poisoning, and now I'm peeling. My back itches like heck, anyone have any suggestions? Or their own sunburn sob stories?

2. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Don't take hot showers.

3. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

uh-oh... why not? They've been helping the itching to go away temporarily...

4. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Doesn't it make the burn feel worse? It always did with me.

5. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

right away? Not really, but long-term it's been getting progressively more itchy... I can't really tell what's goin' on back there, so it's hard for me to know what the problem is. I guess the showers might be making it more sensitive/painful, but I don't mind pain nearly as much as I do this itch, because I literally can't stand it, it's making my muscles twitch badly if I let it go without scratching

6. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Use sunscreen next time. With today's spf sunscreen, you should never burn (a far cry from what was available in my youth).

Although it is too late now, if you do happen to get sunburned in the future, take a cold shower immediately over your burn for a few minutes. It will relieve the pain and may even lessen the damage.

Thank your stars that all you got was a first degree burn ... 2nd degree blisters are far worse.

Take care of your skin ... premature aging (wrinkling) and melanoma are side effects that you don't want to experience down the line.

7. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I used sunscreen, but I've been playing daily tennis without a shirt on for a month, so I'm already fairly tan. I figured that once in the morning would be enough for a 4 hour beach trip, obviously I was wrong. Plus, it was so cold and windy I really didn't even think about putting any more on...

I think it probably would have been 2nd degree with blisters if I hadn't owned it repeatedly with aloevera.

8. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Look at the bright side, at least it wasn't from a nude beach.

9. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Aloe vera gel. It works wonders, and feels great. Also, ice will help reduce the itching by making you numb.

10. NightProwler

NightProwler IncGamers Member

I learned my lesson last year after receiving a severe sunburn on my chest. It didn't peel like yours, but it itched like mad and was painful to the touch. I found that a simple skin itch reliever, preferably in syrup form, works great. I had tried various creams and such, but nothing worked like the syrup did. One dose was enough to make the itching almost completely disappear, so maybe this may help you too.

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Don't put lotion and on and why the hell are you taking hot showers? That dries you out even more.

12. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Aloe vera gel is simply amazing when you are burned...nothing, nothing feels better. It will make your back a little sticky, but it is so incredibly worth it. It feels so good having that on your back after burning it that it almost makes you want to get sunburn. But not quite.

13. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

yeah but now that it's peeling it may get into his system and make him sick. the stuff is not meant to be rubbed into cuts.

also ice is a bad idea...go with a cold pack if you absolutely must, but it would be better to avoid that. you wouldn't ice a regular burn, why ice this one.

hot water is a bad idea. shower in tepid, maybe slightly cool if you can handle it water. you don't want to shift the temperature too much...just take the edge off the skin. if you're not peeling too bad put moisturizer on it...but if theres any open cuts don't put it there...use neosporin instead--it won't feel as nice, but it'll help you heal up.

I know this sounds silly, butr stay the hell outta the sun until it's completely healed, and then wait a week after that. wear strong sunscreen next time and next year use at least spf 15--if you burn every year it'll dramatically increase you chances of skin cancer, then if you just tan.

oh, and i feel your pain, I got quite pink because I didn't even think of lotion...it was the first day it was warm, that I got out and about with my shirt off, here in the chicago area. I'm not peeling, but it's a little burned. Drives me nuts because usually i know better.

14. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

Lay a wet (obviously cold water) washcloth/towel over the burn area. Re-soak it in water as necessary.

If you want it to heal faster, don't use anything (no gels, etc). Most things that relieve pain slow the healing process.

Sleep on whatever side is not/least sunburned.

If it's your back/shoulders, don't wear a shirt if possible.

15. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Feel the burn

I got this information from this website but it requires Acrobat Reader to view so here's the important information instead:

1. Cold compresses, cool showers or baths provide symptomatic relief by creating a cooling vasoconstriction (blood vessel narrowing) that helps to reduce redness and the burning sensation. Repeat 3-4 times a day.

2. Apply Corticosteroid lotions or sprays (i.e. Cortaid lotion and other over-the-counter hydrocortisone preparations) after a cold compress or cool shower to further reduce redness and burning. Caution - AVOID creams and ointments which retain heat and may make you more uncomfortable.

3. Take Ibuprofen or Tylenol every 4-6 hours with a full glass of water for the first 24-72 hours to reduce pain.

4. Drink at least 2 quarts of water daily to prevent dehydration.

5. Avoid sun exposure to burned areas for at least 3-4 weeks to allow for complete healing and recovery.

16. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

I got a 2nd degree sunburn at a water park just before a 12 hour drive home, and I didnt have ANYTHING to put on it except to block out the sun and to not touch anything, the small blisters, the peeling, the horrible, horrible, horrible pain whenever I had to put a shirt on to go take a leak at the gas stations on the way home. . . I couldnt lean back onto the back rest, couldnt put on the shoulder strap, couldnt really even move much without learning this very valuable lesson:

This summer im Lubeing up with spf 30 every 45-60 minutes.

17. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

ow... that sounds worse than mine, I can imagine how terrible that must have been, as I was miserable driving home with 1st degree burns, just from the sun coming through the windshield put my skin through intense pain... yours must have been unbearable

18. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

You need to put sunblock on every two hours. Even if you're tanned. Tanning is the human body's response to overexposure of UV, but the natural countermeasure (eg, tanning) kinda sucks. You will get burned less quickly if you have a nice tan, but there will still be damage to your skin and it will not save you from a good sunburn. I know what it is to have blisters from sunburn, luckily I had it only on my forearms. I was at a hockey tournament and I was wearing our white clubtshirt when I fell asleep after 2 exhausting matches, and I woke up 3 hours later. Now, I'm very pale, and I get sunburns from anything, so you can imagine how bad it was after 3 hours of sun in Nice >.<

HoD

19. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I feel your pain man, a mix of lurkwarm and cold water helps me. and staying out of the sun until it heals.

The sun and I do not get along. I may have a pigmentations problem though, an hour and a half will burn me into a crisp. That, and I never can tan, not that I want to.