Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OW/CB & the bashing-stun barb (theory)

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by batuchka, May 16, 2005.

1. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

OW/CB & the bashing-stun barb (theory)

Hi all! I am thinking of making a bash-stun barb just to see how well it would do in Hell PvM and i want opinions :p Also i was thinking of going either Open Wounds or Crushing Blow route with some Deadly Strike. Skills :

20 Bash
    20 Stun
    20 BO
    20 Weapon Mastery
    10++ Shout

Bash Receives Bonuses From
    Stun: +5% Damage Per Level, while

Stun Receives Bonuses From
    Bash: +8% Damage Per Level

So a fully synergised bash @lvl 20: 245%dmg/115%ar, and
    fully synergised stun @ lvl 20: 160%dmg/110ar, all w/o factoring in weapon mastery/str/charms yet.

@lvl 20 Stun gives a stun length against single targets up to 4.5secs - is this dependent on the mode of the game? Does it work vs all monsters i.e superuniqs/bosses? If it does a typical battle sequence would be as follows:

1) Leap to knockback crowds/breathing space
    2) Switch to dual echoing weapons and cast Battle Command
    3) Cast Battle Cry for melee or Taunt for ranged monsters
    4) cast warcry to stun (no additional pts for dmg, only for stun)
    5) Attack monsters with Stun - get them stunned for 4.5secs
    6) Finish off with Bash non PI/Zerk for PI
    Basically its like a Shockwave-Bear style of combat relying on hoardes being in constant stun animation hehe.Merc of choice : Might or Holy Freeze I think pts into Shout is ok for its defense bonus and synergy to Berserk for PIs?

Also i had looked at many weapons in order to hit 9FPA bash/stun and have narrowed down to 5 considering i could manage to eek out max 90ias from gear:

1) Shael Death Cleaver Berserker Axe (66% DS)
    2) Shael Stormlash Scourge (33%CB, static)
    3) Eth 'Oath' Champion Sword (easily had,fast and decent dmg)
    4) Shael Upped Butcher's Pupil Small Crescent (35%DS, 25%OW)
    5) Eth 'Death' Warspike (50%CB, 0.5%DS per clvl)

Now suppose i go all out OW and use a upgraded Swordback Hold Blade Barrier (upped = 65% blocking for barb, 50%OW) and use Duress (33%OW) and goreriders (10%OW) and hit 93%OW off weapon - is this useful/good for PvM..or going CB better? I could get 100% if i use crafted blood belt :p In the CB route i'd go with Stormlash as it has 33%CB and if i use Duress+gores+crafted gloves i could hit 73%CB and lvl 10 static. Lastly i found a Demonhorn's Edge Destroyer Helm just now and just to be different i shall try not to be tempted to use Arreats and stick an ias jewel there and that with Swordback Hold shield means up to +87 dmg to attacker - which seems interesting to me in PvM with the effects of amp/deceprify too hehe.What u guys think?

2. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Open wounds is not that useful in pvm, especially in big games, CB is what u want though, as much of it as possible, did u think of a last wish phase?

3. batuchka

Hmm ya i did browse thru existing r/w and last wish provides huge cb but i am not in a position to blow high runes after slogging for Enigma for my bone/summon mf necro :( I did wonder at a Kingslayer Highland/Champ Sword but Stormlash would edge it for PvM with static i feel and much cheaper too:D I like that e-Death warspike but i need 89ias to hit 9fpa bash/stun and is barely possible hehe

4. batuchka

Aha just made my theory into reality and my bash-stun barb is lvl 42 now and he is very fun to play! For now BashingBiff has 16 BO, 10 bash, 5 stun and none into weapon mastery yet as i am undecided on what weapon i shall use :p Stun does not work with act bosses so bash is the skill of choice there hehe. I get sympathetic people thiking i am crazy but they marvel when i killed Memp almost solo @ lvl 22 in players 5 :p I love to take on crowds and battlecry, warcry , stun then bash them hehe. My chance to hit is surprisingly high and i had just finished normal and his gear (for now) is as follows

Sigon's helm
    Sigons gloves (30ias/10ll/ar/+10str)
    Rattlecage Gothic Plate
    Goblin Toe Light Plated Boots (50%cb)
    Weapon 1 : 196ed Butcher's Pupil Cleaver (35%ds/25%OW)
    Shield : 2 p-diamond mosers (63res all)
    Weapon 2 : 250ed Steeldriver Martel De Fer (huge dmg!)
    angelic ring+ammy+manaheal :p (ar/75life/dtm/mana leech)
    nighsmoke belt (10 res all/50dtm)

I'm muling over Guillaume's Face and sigons belt as i love that cb kicking in hehe. I am thinking with set winged helm, highlords,gores,duress Butchers might actually cut it in hell when upped :p Waiting to hit 45+ so i can wear ravenfrost, dual +3wc weapons and 65 for highlords ^^ Steeldriver does nice dmg and if only it had ds/cb mmm Gonna go with might merc too :D Initially it was an experiment but if this cuts it in hell it'll be one of the most fun PvM chars i have lol Undecided whether to use Arreats, Set winged helm or Demonhorn Edge as end game helm as well :(

p.s Oh ya those frozenstein-like monsters are bad and could stun me so i warcry and bash them asap hehe

5. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

Use a nice barb circlet, a bb/cb sword in 2h, and some dusk type armor and an A5 merc - see the resemblance? Just an idea.

6. batuchka

Hehe then peeps would wonder : what's a barb merc doing withouts his master/mistress in hell lol Actually i did consider it and the fpa rates are slower with 2-h weapons strangely :( I found a non-eth tomb reaver and thought i'd use that but guess the thought of a bad ass fury wolf with 4fps is appealing hehe