Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Overpowered or underpowered?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by nebby, Feb 19, 2004.

1. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

Overpowered or underpowered?

Just wondering what people here on the boards think- I know what the consensus is on bnet... do you like to / spend more of your time playing the overpowered cookie cutter builds (no offense meant, it's ok to admit it: hammeradins, meteorbs, windruids, etc) or more experimental (ie, weak) builds? Sure, we've all got our MF runners, but even that is a bit of a choice in the philosophy: take your hammerdin and MF till ya puke Tals's or get killed in NM with the medic pally?

Just curious if there were any masochists out there...

2. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

If I want to get itams and build up my wealth so that PvP becomes possibility, I'd have to go with CC's. And since I always seem to die before getting that wealth, I'd say I always go for the CC.

However, my idea of fun is untwinked or underpowered, experimental play.

3. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Rotweill, I'm so proud of you! You do know "lagom" and "compromising" are patented Swedish inventions :lol:

4. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

I usually have two or three projects going on at a time - some CC Builds, some Very Experimental.

For example at the moment I'm working on 1 Lightening Trappasin ( pretty CC if you ask me), 1 Armageddon Werewolf ( slightly weird), and 1 static/inferno sorc (blatantly suicidal - but I had a bet I could make it through hell using only lvl 6 skills or lower:))

For Mfing to get the items I will use a standard build - as you have to balance the time/items found - or give up on RL which is so much more important:D

I couldnt agree with Rottweil more though, fun is weird/untwinked play preferably with a good group of friend who will loot your hideously underpowered charac when they meet with the inevitable deeds:)

It is also weird finding how effective some non cookie cutter builds are - I heve a Guardian Tesladin - not exactly the most common of Pally builds who can hold his own very well in Hell - In fact I think he is the highest level charac I've ever had - so you never know when the underdog will come out on top!

Chill

5. Dire_Wulf

Dire_Wulf IncGamers Member

I have 2 builds right now that are active,

Blizzard only sorc (CC)
    Tesladin (sorta underpowered CC)

I have way more fun with the tesladin (and play a lot more). THe only reason for the existance of the sorc was to work to buy gear for my pally.

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

My Hammerdin has rusty Hammers......to simple but i use him some
    WW Druid pretty fun to run
    Barbs, I am still try to make barbs
    Trapsin....well, isnt all taht easy to ply even with the high light damage for me I enjoy it, it doesnt seem over power but more or less just solid.
    Necro.....well what can you say, those little skellies do a fine job
    Blizz Sorc (I hate sorcs) but this one I like, not necessarily over powered but solid as I didnt pump all the synergies and she has high defensive skills.
    Started an Avenger, my first ever and boy Bloodletter isnt very fast without Zeal or Fanta!!! This one should be a nice challenge.

I have a Clegs Barb in classic that is fun as well as a Zealot both of which I havent messed with in a while.

I havent made a zon yet so I may soon. I was a firm beleiver in Freezing in 1.09 so i know its potential and that has left me doing other things. Javas.....well, I can play them stone drunk and have little worrys with high block and Passives so I am in no rush to do one of them either!

7. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

See, that's what I thought. I guess my usual problem is that I end up having so much fun trying get my weakling along as far as I can, that I kinda tend to not spend enough time MF-ing.

Part of the reason I ask is that I'm starting to think that 1.10 has made character diversity on the realms lower, not higher. All it really did was eliminate melee characters in favor of casters. I'm not really saying that's bad, it's just an observation. It makes perfect sense that if the game is to get harder, more strict "Darwinian selection" of the character types will prevail.

That doesn't stop me from cheering: "Gogogo infernosorc!"

8. killerxbabe

killerxbabe IncGamers Member

Mostly play the CC's til i can get my itembase up a little better. Still itching to try a hybrid assassin. I really think they might be viable, but I have to do the math on it. Right now I've got a 74 hybrid zon, 72 CS zon, 82 Nec, 71 Meteorb and a 23 Trapper. I guess for me it's about finding the things that can only drop on the ladder and doing upgrades at the moment, so I'm sticking with the power killers. And man, the skellie/bonespear/marrowalk necro is BAAAAADDD.......

9. rachelene2

rachelene2 IncGamers Member

After all this time

I still Melee. With barbarians. So I guess I have to classify myself as a masochist.

I do have some overpowered builds hower--

A Mavina multishot/frostmaiden zon
    A pair of baba singers
    A hammerdin and an Electric Zealot

And I'm starting a skellymancer, which I think is my main CC build. Oh, and I'm making a Chain Lightning/Orb sork. No fire :)

10. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

I like to build at least one Godly character at any given time.

Right now I think my Sorceress is among the most overpowered Frozen Orb sorcs on USEast, since I have not seen anyone with her gear (no MH needed since my gear is distinctive as hell)... everyone is still chasing the Shakos. When will you people LEARN!?!?!?

On top of that I like to have about 6 or 7 PvP/PK builds going at any given time, and then maybe an extra assist character like a BO Barb or Concentrate Pally to help me with my solo Baal runs (I play on multi comps, tons of fun, I suggest it).

11. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

From my experience I think the inferno sorc would be viable if I allowed myself energy shield - basically a tank sorc with a weaker but far more controllable firewall seems a usable prospect:)

Half way through ACT 2 Hell (O and solo'd apart from Act1 Norm) I am kind of dreading Duriel tho - He's wiped the floor with several of my sorcies before:(

Chill

12. Frezzist

Frezzist IncGamers Member

My builds are strictly underpowered. I look around the board to see what builds are popular and then vow not to use them. No hammerdins, no sorcs, and no lightning fury zons. I have a wind druid in act 5 norm but since I had one in 1.09, I think it's fair. However, who's idea was it to over synergize tornado? It's crazy. I learned how to aim the skill in 1.09 and now I can take down whole crowds with one tornado. I refuse to even use DR equipment, and yet I still play no-loot hardcore. Melee style!
    I'm so crazy.

Main builds (currently alive):
    I have an arma/volc druid and polearm ww druid in Hell
    I have a frostmaiden (but I got bored with her; too powerful) a leaping sword barb, and a polearm ww barb in nm right now.

Main Failed builds:
    Full summoner necro (very boring; dead from nm baal's tentacles in an amusing incident)
    Hunter druid (nm Threshsocket in another amusing incident.)
    Both made it to Hell (necro was really under equiped, first successful ladder char) yet both fell in nm in the act of mfing. For hell-ready equipment.
    Defiance paladin (dead from something in nm act 4; still under investigation)
    Spearmaiden (This one was just stupid. No damage. No defense. No chance.)
    Dagger/shield Werebear (dead from IM, I think, in act 4 NM. It was one hell of a dagger.)

I think the main reason I play harcore is that builds that fail in hc are more obvious than builds that fail in sc.

13. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

That's my kinda player! I love that adrenalin rush you get when you kill Diablo with with your meleemancer, after a few narrow escapes from some OKs and Infector's EF/CE pack.

I just read the thread on the article about "Infinity Mode", and got pretty pissed off. All these people complaining "Its too easy, blah, blah blah." I'm not saying there aren't harder games out there, but you just know these people are playing nothing but uber-twinked cookie cutters, and you also know what kinda lame mode they are playing in *cough* sc *cough*...

Besides, those that wanted real challenges went ear hunting or left the game.

No offense to the cookie-cutter fans out there- just had to vent on that.

14. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

I only play cookie cutter. I also haven't played enough to make all the cookie cutters. Toward the end of 1.09 I got to the point of trying some different builds. I'd need a year or more to get there again.

I'm on my 4th character since the expansion. I made a mf barb that died in act 1 hell, after I got sick of mfing nm meph. I have an 84 blizz sorc that doesn't have the baal quest. When I made her, I didn't know that maxing tk was important, so she's pretty weak. I had an 85 necro that died in the pit. Right now I'm working on another barb (he's level 51).

I messed around with a couple other characters, but for only a couple hours each. My pc is pretty crappy, so I get plenty of challenge just dealing with lag.

15. DarkHoly

DarkHoly IncGamers Member

I have a 71 classic enchantress, 'nuff said.

-Dark

16. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I play something like 2-3 untwinked variants that I think might be viable and fun for every one cookie cutter...unfortunately the last cookie cutter I played managed to consistently avoid death until I made her die out of boredom.
    So, although generally I play the variants for fun, in 1.10 most of my time has been spent so far doing baal runs and mf runs with a trapper =/

17. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

Lol..Well you can call me Mr Moderation...

How's that for a Swede? :lol:

18. Naheet

Naheet IncGamers Member

I play two ladder barbs, one is a Sword/Shield WW build, the other is a throwbarb. They can both solo hell with moderate MF without dying, so I wouldn't consider them underpowered.

I have a javazon, 76, but she doesn't get much play anymore. Also, a 76 Aldur's Melee druid. Kills slow on Hell, but its still fun to walk around all glowy.

Tried getting a hammerdin, but gave up at level 20. Also have a 31 sorc pending, but I doubt I'll level her anymore.

I made a wind druid a few monhts ago, died to hell ancients. Heheheh. I suck with the overpowered's. (or just overplayed?)