Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Overlooked and under used items

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by hackedagainanda, Jan 3, 2018.

1. hackedagainanda

hackedagainanda Diabloii.Net Member

I am sitting on a small mountain of various low runes, set and uniques and I want to utilize them.

Also wondering if you all have made any chars that took low to mid level sets and uniques and made your way to hell "undergeared"

What are your favorite items to use?

2. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

after combing through my head this is what I got..

for low level set, my favorite bar none goes to Iratha's. Combine it with a smoke and rhyme and a few crafted safetys and you're set as far as Block% and Res is concerned. Combine it with Spirit Sword and just about any spell caster can fly through the game, assuming he/she knows what he/she is doing.

as for mid levels.. cow king set, it's the perfect set for a frenzy barb. Once you get you're barb's ball rolling, grab lawbringer pb and crescent moon cryptic sword, throw in a pair of 10% cb blood gloves, angelics rings+amulet and you're golden.

as for unused.. hwanin's justice to heaven's breathren.. both is doable for a tesladin, supplement your damage with cb and open wound, pair up with holy freeze merc and you should be fine.
    sazabi's grand tribute for frenzy barb yet again, toss a voice of reason pb and a pair of laying of the hands, with might merc reapers toll and have fun busting CS.

and lastly sander's gloves and/or boots is good for the stats it provides.

w/e it maybe, hope you have fun.

Jamie likes this.
  3. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a big fan of Twitchthroe.

It's a very versatile armor that's particularly useful for weird, underpowered melee builds. To date, I've mat/pat'd 3 builds using it.
    • It's got the highest increased chance of block on a non-shield (one of only 4 items in the entire game), saving you a bunch of points in dex that can go to vit.
    • It has very useful boosts to IAS and FHR that nearly every melee builds needs in some capacity to hit breakpoints
    • It even has +10 str and dex to free up more points for vit
    • Since it's not a runeword, you can knock a socket into it, and further fill whatever need you might have.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Jamie likes this.
  4. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Twitchthroe ... goes to every single character of mine in the early stage, at least if it does melee damage at the time. Also to all my mercs. Other favourites are Death's gloves and belt (and often the weapon too), Arctic gloves and belt, ... but you were asking about underused items, not ideal twinking stuff, right?

I don't think I have ever really used any of the stuff you mention into endgame, no. Too tempting to take the powerful stuff, after too many years playing the game with very lowly gear because I didn't know what I was doing, and as such never did any mf or rune runs, almost never even got far into Hell ...

5. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Blackhorn's face. PMH and 20 lightning absorb is pretty dope.

The Goldstrike arch bow often get's overlooked in comparison to Windforce and Faith, which is a shame. If good roll, Goldstrike is beatiful.

Iron Pelt when good roll is also strong, the flat dr and mdr can be really useful.

6. OldSoldier

OldSoldier Diabloii.Net Member

x2 on the Iron Pelt, socketed with a Sol and a Duskdeep with a Sol you (or merc) are a hearty tank.

7. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Of course !!! Duskdeep is that other item everyone of my melee characters and all my mercs get in the early stage.

8. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

Spellsteal, esp for Hell Ancients. Decrip for slowing them down and Teleport (non sorc chars) for breaking them up. Then let merc armed with Kelpie, Duress and Guilliames tear them up.

9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Hsaurus belt and boots for the AR bonus. I have used that a few times as it leaves the jewellery slots open compared to Angelics.

Darksight helm for CoS.

Trang’s Girth instead of Ravenfrost for CBF.

10. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a fan of Stealth. It's sort of like a caster's version of twitchthroe. FCR doubling as offense and defense; FRW for time savings and the ultimate defense (don't be where the hurt is); and FHR for the times you forget to not be where the hurt is, to let you use that FRW and FCR to save yourself. Icing: a bit of mana regen and MDR.

I tend to overvalue FHR, I think, but I feel like all my death's come from two things: Either the damage was ridiculous (and sudden) and the only answer was really in not being where the hurt was; or hit recovery stun lock. And the latter feels worse, imo.

Anything with Freezes Target. It's common enough to have lulls with non-magic characters where your gear/output and the enemies stats are such that things slow down and/or get more dangerous. It's worth considering, while you're wishing you were X levels higher to get that next tier of weapon, or what have you, if there's a freeze target option that'll help smooth things out for you in the meantime.

11. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

also want to add; I took a plain 21 pdr magic circlet all the way from nm a3 to completion. pdr works exponentially in your favor, the more you have the more OP you become. headgear and amulet slot is the best places to stack pdr since they are the easiest places to get pdr. so that in mind, rockstopper/vampgaze or even rare/magic pdr circlets socketted with a Sol are/is awesome.

12. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Cracked sashes.

T72on1 likes this.
  13. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

My Act I merc in the '5 Stages of Grief' tournament currently uses Boneflesh, the unique Plate Mail. I've never even noticed this item before, but in this tourney, before starting Hell, I went "OW from my merc would be nice" and this was the only source of it I had that she could wear. Life steal is an added bonus.

Doesn't matter that it's 'heavy' armor because she's wielding a Harmony. Also, much of her movement is me teleporting her around anyway...

14. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 Diabloii.Net Member

Witchwild String is another lower tier favorite of mine. It's got respectable damage and bunch of useful mods, especially for non-amazon archers.

• It fires magic arrows, so you never need to worry about clogging up your inventory with additional quivers or ever running out of ammo (again, for the non-amazon archers who aren't using special bow skills)
    • 40 resist all, helps with the resist issue all two-handed heroes face.
    • Decent ED, but it's augmented by an increasing chance of deadly strike plus it can be upgraded to elite once you reach the right level
    • 2 sockets to boost whatever else you want (probably shaels)
    • Lastly, a chance to cast Amp Damage. It's low chance but it's really helpful for breaking pesky PI's and boosting overall damage.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  15. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

2nd the Darksight Helm, that little beauty has gotten my chars to Guardian alot!

16. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Pre LK running, many of these “under used” items were a bit more commonplace.

I have a Werebear Druid with an upper Crainte Vomir and a TS/DS Assassin with an upped Vile Husk.