Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Overlapping map problem

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by FatGuy-LittleCoat, Dec 29, 2015.

1. FatGuy-LittleCoat

FatGuy-LittleCoat IncGamers Member

Hello, not sure if the is the place for this, or if there is a tech support forum, but here it goes.

I'm having an issue with my maps overlapping. Whats happening is the map doesn't reset on the screen after i switch difficulties. So the old map is still on the screen, but the map of the game has changed, so as i go through the level, it will show both maps overlapped onto each other. It's happening on several different characters, on different acts,(Act 1 catacombs, Act 3 Durance of hate, most of act 5)

I recently got a new hard drive and did a clean install of windows 7(old hard drive was vista). After that i transferred my d2 characters over to the new drive. I'm guessing this has something to do with it, but have no idea what happened, or how i can fix it.

Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated. If there's any other info needed, i will try to give as much as i can

Thank you
    FatGuy

2. Gynli

Gynli IncGamers Member

afaik, if you go to the save folder in your diablo 2 directory, there are about 3 or 4 different files for each character. The one that ends with .d2s is your character save file and should be left as is. Character 's' is what i remember off the top of my head, but not 100% confident on the "d2". the one that ends in .d2x is GoMule stash i believe.

Anyhow, if you delete the remaining files (one of the files is the one holding your map data) and re open your character, your map should be clean as if you've never been outside of town.
    Give this a try, and if it doesn't reset, I'm sure other members here will lend a better hand. =)

Also, don't forget to backup the files before deleting and on second thought, you might as well simply 'move' the files out of save folder and see what happens.

Edit: is this happening on only some of the maps, or all the maps? And, does the bug persist even when you move to another act with the character that's in act V?

3. FatGuy-LittleCoat

That worked perfectly, problem solved. It did seem like a lot of files in there, but i didn't want to go poking around too much in there and mess everything up.
    Thanks a lot, i really appreciate the help.

4. Gynli

Gynli IncGamers Member

You are welcome! Good to know it worked. =)

Just for further clarification, the file extension that holds the data for where you've been on the map is actually called "charname.map". should've been obvious xD

5. FatGuy-LittleCoat

yeah, i saw that one before i posted, and moved it, and it didn't work. But there were 4 or 5 other ones named ma0, ma1 and so on, I kinda assumed they were map files, but i wasn't sure. I moved them and it worked, so now i know.

Thanks again

6. Gynli

Gynli IncGamers Member

np. =)
    Edit: meant obvious as in I should've been able to rmb it off the top of my head xD
    not as in you should've been able to figure it out by urself lol

Always glad to help =D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It could be the case that the game has no write permissions on the existing map files, perhaps because you had to start it as admin when patching it up. If you played the game right thereafter, the files are "owned" be admin and could perhaps not been overwritten or you copied the map files from your previous computer. Deleting them might help. Before that, I would try to run the game as admin again and see if the map changes when switching the difficulty.

coju and NoisemakerArrow like this.