Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Over one million served

Discussion in 'Site Feedback, Suggestions & Support' started by Flux, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Over one million served

The wiki went over 1,000,000 page views sometime this morning or late last night. It's at 1,018,463 right now, and with more than 20,000 page loads a day (and climbing) it's pretty clear a lot of people are still interested in referencing up-to-date information about this 7 year old game.

Quite an achievement by Blizzard North; creating something so durable and of such lasting value, when so many games are forgotten a month or two after their release. Blizzard North and most of the D2 team are long gone, but let's hope we'll all still be playing D3 in 2016?

2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Re: Over one million served

Congrats to the Incgamers team for the huge number of page views in such short a time. Nice job everyone involved for making the Wiki.

3. Elly

Elly Administrator

Just when I think D2 is on the wane it surprises me again. Testament to its quality.

OT - Isn't there a famous line in a movie that starts like that "Just when you think....

4. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

Not to rain on your parade, and this is a nice number of views in any case. But...
    keep in mind the constant page-refreshing and previewing that goes along with editing and creating content on a wiki, does create a lot of traffic in itself. Do you have a unique hit nr?

5. Flux

Flux Administrator

Look in the wiki. On the left nav bar there's a "special pages" link, and if you click that and then select "statistics" you'll see the hit stats. They are broken down by number of edits and views per page and per edit. You can also view the most popular pages, also from the special pages link, and every wiki page has a display at the bottom of how many times it's been viewed.

Of course some amount of the views are by people making the pages, but that's true for every website, and in the wiki it's a small fraction of the total. The busiest pages have many thousands of views, of which a few dozen are due to the people making them and checking their work. Lots of hits come from search engine spiders too, if you want to really nitpick?

6. Jaquiezz

Jaquiezz IncGamers Member

In exactly how many days has it achieved 1mil+ hits? I'm a D2 fanatic yet have only visited it maybe 2-3 times, so 20k views a day is quite impressive

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

I'm not sure exactly when to start counting from. The wiki template was set up in January 2008, and anyone could view it then, but there wasn't much to see. I started producing content pages in February (Elly was wiki-fying lots of pages into the item section at the same time), and we began putting links to wiki pages in a few forum posts in March, but we didn't officially open it until April 20th, when we debuted the Diablo 3 page (which has around 60,000 views itself) and posted news about it on the forums and the site's main page.

I didn't write down the stats that first day, but they were under 100k, I believe. The first time I took note of the stats was April 26th, when there were 186,416 page views. Quick math: april 26 to the 1m day, June 14th is 4 + 31 + 14 = 49 days, divided into 816,000 page loads = 16653 per day.

The per day views are increasing since there are new pages being added every day, and as more people learn about an updated source of D2 info they make use of it. Right now there are 1,118,542, or almost exactly 100k more than there were 5 days ago, when I made this 1m post. That makes for some easy math, eh?

8. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

I think a 'congratz' is on it's place here :D

GJ admins/mods/wiki editors! :D

9. barker

barker IncGamers Member

I second that, GJ!!! And thanks for keeping a lot of the archived stuff online! We luv ya!