Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

over 20 to a skill

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HBeachBabe, Apr 5, 2004.

1. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

over 20 to a skill

OK, my partner stumped me again today so I have to come ask here.
    once a skill lvl gets over 20, are there any skills that give a bonus? that is to say, does the skill increase more per point, proportianally, over 20 than it did getting to 20? Am I making sense? I guess I'm asking if any skills in the game have in effect, the opposite of diminishing returns - that is, increasing returns based on going over the max? thanks in advance :lady:. my partner would thank you to, but before she gets around to it, she'll probably be asking me more weird questions I don't know the answer to and will come here asking you. :lol:

2. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

Yes, some skills have an closer to exponential usefullness curve as opposed to linear or logarithmic(sp) curve.

Grizzly is one that comes to mind atm.

You could check some skill calculators for the benfit change for slvl20+.

Most skills don't benefit from +skills to synergies.

3. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Depends on the skill. Some skills have increasing returns beyond slvl 20, some are about the same, and some have diminishing returns (e.g. the Sorceress's Energy Shield skill hits 50% damage reduction at only slvl 7, but you have to get it to something like slvl 42 to get 95% reduction).

4. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

You have basically three types:

* Diminishing returns, like Natural Resistance, Burst of Speed, etc.

* Linear, like Warmth, Cold Mastery, etc.

* Linear, where the "line" gets steeper at certain levels, like Fire Wall

(I don´t know if there is a fourth type, the exponentially increasing one).

Whatever the type, the trend the skill follows will hold true after skill level 20 as well.

5. monolith

monolith IncGamers Member

I may be wrong, and reserve every right to be, but I think that bone spirit is one of the skills that gets better and better after level 20. There's a few of them, but I can't for the life of me think of any that I know as a fact.

6. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

If it wasn't clearly enough stated, for a fact I know that druid summon minions have better than linear damage benefits, especially the bear(integrated damage modifier).

I would chance a guess that most summons(of any character) have better than linear damage gain from slvl's beond 20.

Elemental spells tend to have more of a linear damage increase, but even they have better damage gain after slvl20, at least FO and Meteor.

7. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

One important thing to note is that synergies are percentage-based for elemental skills. With higher damage from higher levels, especially over level 20, the number increase from each % added is higher, and that effect is even greater when you have a more strongly ramping skill with higher later values.

So, linear skills with percentage based synergies have much better stat gain with higher levels when synergized.

8. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

To make this point a bit more clear when fully synergized a skill may get 200%+ added to them. The skill itself may be linear and gain say 10 per slvl. Without being synergized the skill would gain 10 each lvl with synergizes it will gain 30 each lvl. You can notice this trend if you watch your synergizes and main skill as you level up. This is why a lot of discussion is created about which order to place skills is it better to place in synergize first or in main skill first. mathmatically there always comes a point in which its best to go back and forth between them.

Some skills once synergized ramp up really fast past slvl 20 hammers and meteor come to mind.

9. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

The following is copy and paste from Blizzards 1.10 patch changes file:

"Increased the damage of nearly all skills above skill level 20"