Outsourcing as a positive - the med'yuh!

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Outsourcing as a positive - the med'yuh!

I happened upon this when reading my morning news
The Inquirer (no said:
US journalists afraid their jobs will be outsourced

A passage to India

By Nick Farrell: Monday 20 November 2006, 06:29

JOURNOS working for the US print media are steaming with righteous indignation as their bosses start outsourcing their jobs to India.
Cited Int'l Trib article here.

I'm ROFLMAO on this one, since I'm in the often-threatened IT industry. A couple of years ago, there was some discussion of outsourcing regarding Radiology and other subjects aside from IT. I was of the opinion at the time that those people gleefully throwing their geeks under the trains' wheels might find themselves next.

I will personally cheer when the NYT suddenly starts firing their overpriced cretins and offshoring the work. Not only will the quality be better, but we get a whole new set of biases to sift through. And whether they like to contemplate it or not, once the underlings go, what is the point of keeping the management local?

Discuss.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
People who complain about outsourcing are basically saying:

"I love what capitalism has given me but I'll be damned if I support it elsewhere."

Which is a natural opinion for most people, I've found. They want free stuff, and the they want the government to intervene to get it to them.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
People who complain about outsourcing are basically saying:

"I love what capitalism has given me but I'll be damned if I support it elsewhere."
I better be crystal, since I often wind up as boogeyman around here. I don't like outsourcing, but it is extremely sensible and I support it for non-core competencies of an industry. Outsourcing a specific project to contractors is a no-brainer, but history is stuffed with spectacular failures to outsource "properly".

Plus a rising tide floats you boat, etc. :flip:

SD said:
Which is a natural opinion for most people, I've found. They want free stuff, and the they want the government to intervene to get it to them.
In this case, neither party wants to get too close to the issue - and I found that in itself very interesting.

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
How exactly do you outsource journalism? How is a reporter in Bombay going to find out about the news in Toronto?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
How exactly do you outsource journalism? How is a reporter in Bombay going to find out about the news in Toronto?
What, you think these no-accounts do their own work? Check out a paper some time and see how much copy is simply re-written AP coverage. The investigative coverage obviously couldn't be sent outside of an area, but everything else?

And don't get me started about the talking heads... :drunk: {missing a barf icon}

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I believe in trade protectionism because many foreign countries are not competing on an even playing field. That and the fact I'm sick to death of having to talk to some idiot in India who can barely speak English and can't help me with my problem anyway whenever I call customer service.

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi Don,

I see the problem from both sides, having recently set-up and trained a Support Desk in Chennai, India.

I find the problem is the numerous options you need to select once you have gotten through on the phone, push 1 fo this, 2 for that, 3 for ... oh you picked optioned 2 ... Now you have 1 for this, and 2 for that ... and you end up a hoemapage address and can't go back :(

However once you get through to an India, particulaly a techincian, you'll end up with a skilled person. You just have to be a little patient over the language getting there.

Its the phone system ... someone needs to be shot !

And don't get me started about the talking heads
What you mean ? Talking Heads, great music ...

Regards
Syxx

I refuse to talk to any customer service rep that I can't understand. I've pissed many a phone jockey off when I've told them to put somebody on who can speak proper English. It doesn't matter if they're Indian, Pakistani or from the Bronx.

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Sigh Smeggy,

Everyone might speak english where you come from, but there's a whole world out and not everyone else does ... what's so bloody special about english ?

You won't give a bloke who's trying to speak a 2nd language ... a break ? Get off you high horse and smell the roses. (how's that for a mixed metaphor)- Outsourcing is here ...

Regards
Syxx

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
If it's faster and less of a pain, why not ask for someone you can communicate with more easily?

KillerAim

Diabloii.Net Member
Dondrei:
I believe in trade protectionism because many foreign countries are not competing on an even playing field.
Ah, protectionism is good, minimum wage laws are good, etc. :sad2:

Please see if you can take one Econ class in your studies. There isn't one credible Economist who would agree with you.

That and the fact I'm sick to death of having to talk to some idiot in India who can barely speak English and can't help me with my problem anyway whenever I call customer service.
My trouble with them is not that they can't speak English; it's that they do not know our idioms or much about our culture.

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Not when they're in the business of customer service. If I can't understand you then you're not providing me service.
... but if the Customer Service part of the business has been 'outsourced' .. then you need to accept that not everyone speaks english as well as you do.

Its plain economics. Big business save costs due to cheaper wages. Consumers rarely judge goods on who privides the after sales care. They decide by price / quality.

Start sniffing ...
Syxx

hardnfast

Diabloii.Net Member
Sigh Smeggy,

Everyone might speak english where you come from, but there's a whole world out and not everyone else does ... what's so bloody special about english ?

You won't give a bloke who's trying to speak a 2nd language ... a break ? Get off you high horse and smell the roses. (how's that for a mixed metaphor)- Outsourcing is here ...

Regards
Syxx
I live in Australia, when I'm calling up an Australian company for assistance with a problem I expect the person on the other end to speak english and for me to be able to understand what they are saying.

As for outsourcing, I've seen it work and I've seen it not work. I think the problems begin when the people at the top of the company push on with outsourcing regardless of the cost / outcome for the company.