Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: your nerd credentials

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HBeachBabe, Apr 7, 2004.

1. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

OT: your nerd credentials

the SPF ultimate nerd contest.

post here why you think you deserve the title of Single Player Forum's Biggest Nerd.

I'll start:
    while I generally list 'filmmaker' as my occupation, the reality is I make most of my income doing web site design.
    On my computer desk at home (on which sits the computer I built) is a row of computer & software books. If I look to the left, I see a large LotR:FotR movie poster. To the right is 1 (of 4 total) bookshelves, but what qualifies this one is that it is filled with over 250 Star trek books. Behind me is a poster of the Enterprise-D and in the hall closet are 8 long boxes of Marvel X-men (& related) comics.

And finally, I spend my spare time playing a computer game devoted to killing a big red lizard, a slug, a vapor cloud with a spine, a bug, and a naked green woman and when not playing I post to a message aboard playing.

I think I'd win, except I don't wear glases or keep my hair in a bun

PS - I forgot to mention that I met my partner because of the Alt.TV.Star-Trek.Voyager newsgroup

2. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer IncGamers Member

Aw, too bad it's only a "nerd" credential contest, 'cause I'd win the "loser" contest for sure. ;)

~Wolfgang

3. Brass_Monkey

Brass_Monkey IncGamers Member

I'll step up to the plate..
    I wear glasses, possess a rather unhealthy pallor, and consume far too many snack foods for my own good. I spend several hours a day on the computer, and probably have as many online friends as irl friends (if not more). I have a bunch of Magic cards that I don't use anymore, about 400 bucks worth of Warhammer 40K models on a shelf above the comp (which I frequently move around to simulate battle formations. :lol: ), and own some Mechwarrior Dark Ages models. Oh, and I play Diablo 2 (naturally), D&D, and have a few hundred megs of rpg supplements on my comp. Oh, and I have some J-pop that I occasionally listen to (and sing along when I'm feeling particularly.. er.. high-pitched). Lemme see, what else.. oh, naturally I don't have a job, and I tell everyone I'm going to be a writer (well, I am.. someday..). Does having more than one R.A. Salvatore novel qualify you? And I like Asimov, too. I think that's more than enough to put me into the running, as well as convince everyone I'm a total loser. Oh well, if I'm gonna be a loser, I wanna be.. um.. the best loser? Ah, the wonders of net anonymity.. :lol:
    </Monkey>
    Edit: Wait, am I eligible? I'm both a nerd and a loser, but it's my nerdness that MAKES me a loser..

4. Araknis

Araknis IncGamers Member

:lol: That'll be hard to beat :winner:

Yah... well... we all do that bit :D

5. WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack IncGamers Member

wow...that's a heck of a starting entry. I'm a nerd, but wowheh heh :worship: will you be my queen? (heh heh...kidding)

oh- your film making kind of gives you bonus points in the 'non-nerd' direction...what kinds of projects do you work on?

6. DevontheGnomey

DevontheGnomey IncGamers Member

if I post about how i was always mr. popular in school and had to play d2 mostly in the closet, dated a differant girl bi-weekly, and was known as the God of Beers in addition to having the guinness harp tattoo'd on my back... would that make me seem like a jerk or just posting in the wrong credential thread? :drink:

well not a nerd here but i don't think there is anything wrong with being one, you know... just be who you are and enjoy it!

7. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

so far, mostly $h!tty ones, although I am rather pleased with how
    Zen in the Art of Yard Sailing turned out. Hopefully, it'll be hitting the festival circuit by Fall.

8. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

While we're at it...

I am a Dr Who fanatic. I have all the tv shows on tape and I am currently dubbing them onto DVD with the help of my newly built computer. I have all the novels of the tv shows, just in case I want to read what I just watched. I go to Dr Who conventions once in a while (Yes, they are similar to the Star Trek conventions). I have met many of the actors, but don't collect autographs. I have truckloads of books, records (yes you heard me, records!), and video tapes, filled with Sci Fi stuff like DS9, Babylon 5, and other stuff, that I never watch any more.

At the moment I am reading the Microsoft Networking compendium study guide so I can run my network more efficiently at home. This is a book that IT professionals read and study before becoming certified by Microsoft in networking. I am in sales at work. Not even IT. But I make good money at it, so I can buy replacement pocket protectors (just kidding!). I know some people who use pocket protectors, and they also wear glasses. They are engineers. *Boy, they're a weird group!*

Let's see, I am a fanatical Chicago Cubs fan. I played baseball until I was 21, when I realized that the Cubs were not going to call, so I finished college and went to work. But I still play softball. I like Asimov, and I even read one of the Diablo books. And liked it!

How does that sound? Do I make the cut? (not sure I want to) :scratch:

On the plus side, I am married and have 2 kids, a house and 2 car payments.

9. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Hmmm...

I know lots about Star Wars, and I like history. Do those count? :bonk:

Do playing Ultimate Frisbee and being a cyclist give me negative points :(?

10. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal IncGamers Member

I... um... play D2... and like to read sometimes, dang, I don't stand a chance.

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

**raises hand and votes for HBeachBabe as the most (dis?)Honorable ruler of the SPF Nerds!**

crg

12. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

I am in two heavy rock bands so I can't win.

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I second the motion! :worship: To Hbeachbabe! Gets to drink on the house forever at the EMB! :drink:

Now. let's let this thread die a slow, sinking death. Because I am embarassed as h***

14. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

No way! Please, allow a SPF rookie to take a shot at this title...

Played D&D, Rifts, and White Wolf (especially love Vampire and Mage) every summer since i was, oh, 12. With my Boy Scout buddies. Majoring in computer science, going on to pursue a master's in the same area, and hoping to use that as a foot in the door to a phd in computer science eventually. I wear glasses, but not the heavy-rimmed kind, but only because my nose is sensitive to pressure. I'm the captain of my college ultimate frisbee team, have a girlfriend i've been dating for 3 years now, am the student government representative of my school's sports clubs, BUT (before you give up on me), i play and read about diablo 2 at the expense of all these things. Incessantly. There, how's that?

-FF

15. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I'll throw my hat into the ring. I, too, am a major Dr Who fan and as they are currently showing all surviving shows on Australian ABC at the moment I in little piggy heaven. I received series 1 & 2 of B5 for my birthday and I'm rationing watching them. During the late 70's & early 80's I wouldn't go out on a Saturday night during Blake's 7 seasons. I have at least 50 Wav files of TV themes of shows I use to watch, everything from H. R. Puffnstuff to Cool McCool. I not only only play D&D, but I am still a DM and I have played a number of other RPGs such as Gamma world, Warhammer and Traveler. I read only fantasy and Sci-fi and I can recite whole episodes of Red Dwarf. My major nerd drawback it that I'm married with two children, but I thing my other attributes far outweigh this little glitch.

16. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I dunno, those aren't very nerdy... Skill with women (even if it's just one) and playing a cool sport. :uhhuh:

17. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Almost as nerdy as playing guitar in a band.

18. Couvi

Couvi IncGamers Member

Lets see elements that qualify me as a nerd: I am a big anime fan. I never miss an episode of Dragonball/Z/GT or Inuyasha. I am seventeen years, had two girlfriends, still a virgin, and...well...never had a first kiss :(. I spend many hours on the computer and rarely go out on the weekends. I can quote many lines from all three Lord of the Rings movies. I would like to say I play a lot of D2 but the truth is I am having a hard time trying to have fun with the game. I have glasses but the lenses aren't really thick and I only wear them when I need to see something from far away. I am not a big sports fan and while others talk about hockey or football I just sit there and try to act like I get what they are talking about. The most sport like activity I am into and can have a good discussion about is wrestling and I think that is about it...

I use to play both soccer and North American football but I have stopped due to loss of interest.

Looks at his life... :hanky: I think I need a hug.

19. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

There's nothing to be ashamed of in that. Nothing at all. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get my first kiss until 18 (4 days before my 19th b-day). For me it has paid to wait. The girl I kissed I'm now absolutely head over heels in love with. Your time will come. :thumbsup:

20. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

What exactly is the definition of being a nerd? :scratch:

According to these posts, being interested in comp games like D2, reading a lot (and mostly Fantasy/SF), being able to quote from certain movies, playing games like Warhammer (or collect the mini's), not being good at sports, having a non-standard job/education, etc. makes you a good candidate for being a nerd. But isn't that kinda subjective? I do all of the above, but I don't consider myself, or my friends and boyfriend, a nerd for that matter, tho we do make jokes about it . In fact, I think going mainstream (do/wear/listen to popular things and change look and personality every two months) is worse (no offense ment). Anyway... okay... 'cording to the general world-subjectiveness, I'm a nerd, so what? I have fun, am happy in love and life and my boyfriend thinks I'm the most adorable little nerd ever! :lol:
    Conclusion? I'd rather be a nerd and have fun with everything i do than having to fit in with the general view of non-nerdness and have all the complications of having to keep up with what's popular... ;)

(ok, that was my little rant... i'll quit now)