Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Your Days of Yore

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kung Poo, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

OT: Your Days of Yore

Ok, folks. It's time for K_P's oddball question of the month. *waits for the cheering and clapping to die down*

Ehem.

I judge most of the people here to be an adult, or at least, in an adult mindset, since... well, let's face it. This is one heck of a mature forum, and as such, the topics that are presented (whether inquisite or downright dumb [GIB ITAMZ!]) are handled with respect in just about all cases.

That being said, I'm curious: Briefly, what were you like in your school days? Let's narrow it down to high school and college, since no one really has much of a personality before that. What were you like, and how have you grown? For those of you still in school, well... I think it's still easy to answer the question.

So I'll kick it off.

In high school, I was timid, shy... at least at first. I entered 9th grade into a college-level program thinking it'd be great for my college entry exams and such. Wrong. In fact, in 11th grade, I had to drop from it and go into "regular" advanced classes, lest I have a nervous breakdown from all the work.

That's really when my personality kicked off; it's when I started learning what really mattered. I no longer strived to blend in and not be noticed. I just... lived. From there, I gained a profound appreciation for music and art, which led to my choice of being an artist as a career.

College was great, but that's probably because I attended a rather liberal college. When you see hot girls walk into class wearing a bikini or cute pajamas with fuzzy slippers and the teaching staff doesn't care... you know life is good.

That's probably when I got out of pop culture, so to speak, and into my own little world. Yes, I dressed in black a lot, wore dusters, etc., though I wouldn't exactly label me a goth. For that matter, I wouldn't exactly LABEL me anything. The same still exists for today. I still enjoy dressing in black, wearing a longcoat, going to a local industrial/goth dance club, etc.

And that's my school story in a nutshell: From introvert to goth-dancing-comic-making-fool in just 5 little years or so. What's that mean? Well, nothing really. I just thought I'd share it, and see if anyone else has a story or two to tell.

Peace, folks.

~K_P

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

:lol: oddball

well to tell you the truth i havent changed much other then getting more cynical then ever.

was a lonewolf in school but could still meet 40+ people i knew and who would say hi and start discussing what the latest news and such was.

paradox?

yes probebly i was both for myself and still right there among my friends at school. hard to explain really :scratch:

lets just call it that i was a ghost that came to life once i was among friends.

3. Neely022

Neely022 IncGamers Member

Well, I am a new member to this forum, abnd I ain't exactly an adult. Heck, I ain't even that mature. But that might be OK, because I'm still in college. I am a huge music geek, to the point of being extremely condescending to the casual listener. I play guitar, drums, and piano, and I play a regular show at school about once a month. I love being outside... going for bike rides, etc. Day time is for being outside (and sometimes class) and night time is for coffee, homework, and Diablo. I tend to be a social butterfly, migrating constantly from group to group and back again. I spend plenty of time in the Residential Dean's office too. I've already been banned from one of the dorms on campus for.... actually, don't worry about that. Let's just say I hope you guys don't look down on some kinds of illegal hobbies. Ah, well, life is good. And I hope it is for all of you as well.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

well, am tryign to remember my school years but it was a whole 6 hours since i last was in school, so it difficult...
    ok, it comign to me, i was a slightly rebellious above average intelligence (dispite the grammer / spelling errors here) who was addicted to rock music and creme eggs (do you have creme eggs in america? i presume so).
    i liked strategy games, RPG's and some shoot-em-ups. i was also very social, often forgottign about homework and important stuff to go out and get drunk or whatever.
    come tothink of it, i havet changed much since school...

5. jwilliams152000

jwilliams152000 IncGamers Member

Lets see how have i changed since school??? well since im still in college getting drunk almost every night and playing halo and diablo all the time...........my god its exactly the same as high school!!!! Well not exactly cuz my girl keeps me in line and i dont do coke anymore...i dont think it is relevent to talk about that. Well i love music, video games, and college water(keystone light baby) but other than that i go to school, gunna major in mechanical enigneering, go to halo national tournaments and **** **** up and thats about it.

6. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Hmmm, half a lifetime ago....

I was extremely involved in high school - 3 season sports, class president, yearbook editor and valedictorian - figures eh?

Got married and had a daughter in college, so things changed dramatically. Focused on my degree (accounting) & family, graduated with honors, and moved on to be a responsible dad and husband.

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

What were I like in my school days?

Well, just that what in now, in at school now, namely at uni. I have always been quite shy guy and very slow making friends. During the last 3 years at other school I got 5 or 6 friends but now our studies and other resposibilities have spread us around and im kinda alone here now, I just haven't found any friend's yet. People seem to be interested in very different things than I am.

Im not that type who wants to be 24/7 with friends. If I try that, my head will explode. I want to be at least couple of hours/day alone, I enjoy being alone quite much (but of course it has its own limits). Then I can really relax and recharge my batteries. On weekends I just do my own things and seldom want to go out with some friends or so

I would say im quite philosophical (sp?), I think about things quite much ( the meaning of life and that stuff, you know :lol: ). That is important, at least it is for me. Im also somekind of a perfectionist, I think it has caused me many problems but thats a part of me, I can't escape it even if I try. Too bad im a pessimist and lazy too...I always see how things could have been much better but seldom do anything to fix that and feel angry/stupid/depressed afterwards. Maybe thats the reason why I listen quite much heavy rock and goth rock/metal, it just fits to my personality

I was very good at maths/physics and that stuff before, now I mostly hate it. I just can't see the reason to learn Simpson's rule or something like that. Maybe it would help me to get some jobs but...I just don't care about that so much anymore. How can one make himself or someone else happy by playing around with integrals? I just can't understand that. I have really considered about quitting at uni and doing something else

I am such a weirdo, I don't even know myself what I am or what I want to be :cheesy:

Whew, that one was really hard to write...dunno what people will think about me after this but well...life is for experimenting ;)

8. colony

colony IncGamers Member

As im still at school (last year, about to go to uni (chemical engineering)), ill answer as best as i can. I can probably be summed up in a few words: lazy (homework??? whats that?), good at exams (i really cant call myself clever) and hungover (i dont get drunk, i just feel the after effects)

I havent played sport competitively for 3 or 4 years, when i was in the schools rugby team
    As far as music is concerned, it just always seems to have been there, probably due to having 2 sisters and a brother all at leat 5 years older than me.

9. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

What was I like in school? Well, let's see. It was 24 years ago that I graduated from high school. Yes, I was a 70's kid. I wore plaid pants and had a big afro. But so did everyone else in my high school (even the girls! :scratch: Na, thats not true! They were hot! We were geeks). We drove Chevy Vegas or Gremlins. We listened to bad 70's pop music. Stuff that now, I am ashamed that I used to like. We blew off pep rallys to go smoke. And usually got busted by the Dean. But I played baseball in H.S. and was not too bad, even if I do say so myself.

In college I blew off classes to go drink or go to Chicago Bulls or Blackhawks games. I graduated in 1985 and have had jobs ever since. I think college made me grow up a little. Drinking does that to a guy! I continued to play baseball in college. Until I was 25 years old I played. Then I decided that the Cubs were never going to call and I began looking for work.

I met my wife and really grew up. I have 2 kids 5 & 8 yrs old now. I own a house and live in a nice community outside of Chicago. I don't smoke anymore (it's been at least 20 years) but I still like to have a beer or two. And I still play softball in the summer. I am not as good as I used to be. I am slower and not as good a hitter, but it's still a lot of fun.

I changed dramatically from high school to now. But thats what growing up is all about. I still have fun in life, but it's just a different kind of fun. My kids watch me play Diablo. They understand what killing monsters is all about. Sometimes it's like having a little cheering section over here!

10. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Wow, I'm still in school, grade 10 to be precise, and you just summed up exactly how i am right now....kinda creepy :scratch:

-Pb

11. Couvi

Couvi IncGamers Member

Wow, I found a duplicate of me. :surprise:

12. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

I was the smartest person in school, when I showed up. I wasn't much into sports, but I did play tennis, swim, and dance on the dance team. I am the kind of person that you either love or hate, but nobody has a neutral opinion. I have an extremely overbearing personality, and I tend to think that I'm always right. I never got into fights, but I'm sure there were a few folks who wouldn't have minded taking a swing at me. Most of the people I hung out with are still friends, though I have moved on in my life, and most of them have not. Personality-wise, I'm exactly the same as I was in high school, but my behavior has matured considerably. I dated the same girl through just about all of high school, and she dumped me when she found out I was going into the Coast Guard. Nice girl, really; I'm not bitter. Anyhow, I'm me, and that's about the only way to describe it.

13. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

In high school, college, and now (31 yr old married father of 2) I have always had just a couple of very close friends. I drank to extreme excess in college, and still graduated on Dean's list (I test well, what can I say). I met lots of people, befriended almost none of them, and have probably been forgotten by most of them.

I prefer having only a few true friends to lots of friendly acquaintances. I am still a friendly person, and I mingle well in social settings, I just usually have no interest in anything more than a nice shallow conversation, then I can go home to my family and be happy. :uhhuh:

14. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

I was a nerd-geek-loser-who-doesn't-talk-much-and-hate-pretty-much-everyone-shy-timid-who-hated-been-watched-who-also-didn't-care-much-for-everything-and-everyone in high school.

Guess what? I still am today! :clap: Although maybe not the loser part. But Spook_Cell will probably say otherwise. :innocent: And also, no more in high school, but in technical school, so that's the only difference.

I won't had a 'No but seriously, blah blah' because I already told you just now how I was and am, and it's serious. :lol:

15. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

well, at the moment im technically a sophomore in highschool, although i just got so fed up with the BS that went on in public schools (I have an above average IQ, and alot of people in public schools have major problems with people who are smarter than them.....), and theres no private schools nearby, so i started getting homeschooled, since then ive been doing alot better, im about to start taking some math and science courses at a local college, as the homeschooling has subpar math and science classes. I play RPG's like DnD, and the like, lots of video and computer games and magic the gathering.
    i listen to hard rock, and techno (wow... weird combo, eh?)

16. farting bob

farting bob Banned

hard rock and techno?
    your 1 of a kind brad!

17. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

Haven't got a clue what the different kind of grades are called there in the usa but after basic school i went to.. well, what shall i call it, i believe in english classes we learned it was called lower secundary school. Went there because through quite a bit of varying problems they thought i couldn't handle much more.
    I was shy, timid, did not have any friends and generally hated everything about it :) i mean, no offences to intended to anyone of course, the people there were not the smartest in the world, didn't do anything honest then and probably won't in there entire life (yes i'm talking about crime)
    After that i didn't know what to do, in here there isn't much further education (let alone a job) u can do after that school.
    So i proceeded to higher secondary school, and what a change it was!! i started to live there. Got friends, good friends, discovered music, party's and discovered how it was to be around smart and like minded people. Despite the fact that many people hate their school time i had one hell of a great time there and i became how i am now.

After that i started studying something that would translate to Enviromental science not really a succes and i was at more party's and playing games with friends than at school (D&D, lots of online diplomacy and a multitude of board games)
    After three years i quitted that education and went to work for a year thinking to search another study for after that year and that's where i am now :D univerity (probably english culture&language) next september

18. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Well, I've spent most of my time trying to forget what happened in my school days... let's just say that being intelligent and male is a very bad combination.

Generally, I hated sports (and still do, either watching or playing), didn't talk much to anyone (with the exception of my few friends), and didn't really take part in that much socially.

So I haven't really changed, except for maybe being a bit taller and somewhat quieter than normal... and I still don't have that much of a personality.

19. LowLander

LowLander IncGamers Member

Pfff, that's quite a question you put there! But you get a lot of honest responses as well, so why not:

Being 40 now I have quite a sketchy memory of high school (Well, middelbare school, the Dutch not-quite equivalent) Mostly I remember not fitting in. I enjoyed reading, fishing, being outdoors. Sorta geeky. But I wasn't quite in the geek position. 'cause I could defend myself rather well when needed (Black belt in tae-kwon-do, brown in judo, also training jiu-jitsu and Kung Fu.)

Sorta the same applied when I attended tech school. And I was totally new there, not knowing anyone. So, usually finding my own company ok, I turned even more into a loner. Which, at heart, I am. But the few friends I *do* have, I value immensly. I also met my wife in that period. Never regretted that for one moment, she is my soul-mate, my other half.

Then I had to go in the army, forced to live with other conscripts for 14 months, living among them five days a week, 24 hrs a day, and often going for training to Germany, usually for weeks.

I learned to be social enough to survive, but always stayed out of the clans and groups that inevitably form in such a situation. But on the other hand I always stood up for "my" men, I had sargeanthood pushed upon me, and protected "my" lads any way I could.

I even managed to get two of the worst idiots in my team out from under a couple of weeks prison sentence, which in this case would even have reflected on their civilian status. But I was there when the "event" happened, and I knew they were not to blame.

Nowadays, I'm a techie. Don't know how to make money any other way. Can't sell, won't do management, too unorganized to go small-independant, so there it is: A too-old gamer (A trait I only discovered twelve years ago), managing reasonably in real life, with a wife and two kids, a mortgage and a car-loan. And a liking for D2. That's me.

20. schillerdc78

schillerdc78 IncGamers Member

delete the sports, change coast guard to navy and you've got pretty much me