Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[OT] xey sorta joins the dark side

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by xeyloderixed, May 19, 2005.

1. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

[OT] xey sorta joins the dark side

so..... i got bored of mfing after the... 20kth pindle run? (imagine that) bnet punished me by 2x 10+hr r/ds, so...

i purchased guild wars -.-

anyway, i have a computer question. my comp is behaving rather... odd. after i log on to gw, i have 10 min cycles of flawless play and never ending lag. i think the lag is due to memory thingies (im not a computer genius here). so how do i increase virtual memory? what does RAM mean? (the lag is sort of connected to low RAM?)

meh

whelp

2. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

It would help if you stated your computers specs, as if the CPU, how much memory you have on it etc.

RAM comes from the words Random Access Memory, and it is the main "memory" of your computer. You know, those sticks you buy and stick into your mother board. Im not sure if a insufficient amount of memory would cause 10 mins of flawless gameplay and then 10 minutes of lag, in a loop. It would rather be only lag then. Try it, buy a 512mb additional stick to your computer (make sure its the right type of memory and that you have a free slot, ask a friend to check it out unless you know how to). Its not like they're that expensive, you'll get one for 35-45 euros

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

1) What video card do you have?
    2) How much RAM do you have?
    3) Have you tried playing on lower settings with no result?
    4) Using XP I assume?
    5) If using XP is it newly installed?
    6) Does the lag appear random, or is it almost always in areas where you'd expect lag (or more specifically, not usually in areas where you wouldn't expect lag compared to others...if that makes sense)?

It's odd though, if you were able to play D2 without any troubles I'd think your machine would be able to handle GW... D2 eats memory like there's no tomorrow. I'd guess it's probably your video card being unable to keep up with the settings you're trying to play on, but without know what you're running I wouldn't say that for sure.

As to your specific questions:
    -To the best of my knowledge you can't specify the size of your page file(virtual RAM) with Windows and it is always 2x the amount of RAM you have. I could be wrong about this, not really something I've ever looked into but I think it's fairly accurate. Anyways lots of paging (using virtual RAM) isn't likely to help you anyways. The time it takes to access your HDD is much higher than the amount of time it takes to access your RAM.
    -RAM is random access memory. It stores the instructions a program is going to execute, as well as information the program is using. Basically what's going on is thus:
    instruction grabbed from RAM
    instruction decoded
    if it uses anything in memory as a variable, grab the value from memory
    execute instruction
    if anything needs to be written back to memory it is written
    repeat
    That isn't 100% accurate, but it's close enough to give you an idea as to how your processor and RAM are related, and as such an idea as to what RAM is.

But more importantly:
    GIB CHARACTER NAME~~~~~~~~~

4. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

*Tigris Of Gaul if you need help, or would like some decent starter items

5. xeyloderixed

ok ill try this -.-

dell inspiron 600m
    intel pentium M processor 1.8 Hz
    1.80 GHz
    512 MB of RAM
    38.2 GB free space if that matters

how do i check the vid card? -.- sorry they dont teach us this in chemical engineering o_O

6. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

with that setup i would say its the video card or the internet connection. you should be able to see at least the memory of your video card in your "Control panel" -> "System" page.

7. xeyloderixed

is this it?

mobility radeon 9000

im using xp btw if that matters

8. MoUsE_WiZ

I ask again:
    Have you tried the game with the absolute lowest settings, and do you still have the same troubles at said settings?

According to Dell's site that laptop comes with either a 32MB or 64MB Radeon Mobility 9000. If you've got the 32MB version you're barely scraping the min reqs listed on GW's box for a video card, and min reqs listed on a box can tend to be a bit lower than they should actually be for a playable experience.
    If however you've got the 64MB version you should be ok to play the game with at least absolute lowest settings I think.

To check which card you've got try:
    control panel > display > settings > advanced

edit because I took 10 years between starting this post and getting around to writing it and you posted in the mean time:
    Yeah, that's the card, but we need to know if it's the 32MB or 64MB version.
    Using XP matters in some cases as it can eat resources better than older versions of windows, but you should be fine with it on your box.

9. xeyloderixed

32 ><

so i guess im screwed ><

and yes i tried the absolute lowest settings

10. MoUsE_WiZ

Yeah, you're probably screwed with that card, and it being a laptop I can't even say "go spend 50$ on a 9600" t.t

You could try all the fun:
    -update drivers
    -update DirectX
    -defrag
    -scan for spyware with 5 different apps
    -do the same for viruses
    -format/update windows then try again on a fresh install
    But it's not likely that any of that would work, as if things like that were the problem you'd just find it generally unplayable, and your computer likely wouldn't be usable either.

11. xeyloderixed

erm

omg

it seems to have fixed itself

i lied earlier when i said "lowest possible"

im up to like 15 min without lag :)

let's see if all goes well

and...

char name: kharlos alexi (i dont know how to use any commands btw)

[EDIT]: nope, just made it somewhat better. oh well, im stuck with this pos comp ><