Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Wings/Pens?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by MoUsE_WiZ, May 4, 2008.

1. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

OT: Wings/Pens?

Wings win in 6 imo. They're so freaking good... the Pens might have star power, but after watching Jagr out play the pens, and Zetterberg/Datsyuk dominate against Forsberg/Sakic/Hejduk, I can't help but think the wings have an edge if it comes down to that match. I can't wait to watch it if it comes to that.

Which of course it might not... anyone wanna predict anything other than the easy results for the semis (and quarters I guess are technically still going...)?

Also, I'm thinking Dallas wins game 6, but I really hope the Sharks come back... Dallas games keep putting me to sleep, plus you don't get to see 3-0 comebacks every day. Pens in 5 too... after watching game 3 I figured NY would win the 4th, but I don't think they're (they meaning Jagr) gonna be able to dominate a 3rd game in a row... if they win 5 I'll be surprised if it wasn't a result of bounces or calls.

And just for the fun of it... Wings 4 Stars 1, cuz I hate Dallas and the less Dallas I have to watch the happier I will be.
    Pens 4 Flyers 0... Ovechkin lit them up. Crosby/Malkin will destroy.

And for the significantly less important prediction:
    Russia/Canada... Canada has the best team for depth, Russia has the best forward currently playing the game... I don't think anyone else has a team that even comes close this year. Of course anything can happen in single elimination (I hate Hasek, Jagr, and 2006 in general, fyi), but I think any other match would be huge upsets. Frankly I think they should just skip ahead to this game, where Canada wins 5-3 vs whostheirgoalieagain?

2. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

Re: Wings/Pens?

Who are those Wings and Pens and Jagr?

...and why am I looking at this thread?

..and does it really belong in HC forum?

:girly:

3. Rekoc

Rekoc IncGamers Member

Firstly, what language is this written in...I dont understand it...<3 what is this..hockey you speak of, is it like football but worse? b/c nothing beats football.

And everything belongs in the hc forum, I dont know what your talking about.

4. MoUsE_WiZ

1) You're wrong.
    2) You watch the wrong football anyways. (I'm not talking about soccer either, just to be clear)
    Edit to add a 3) Single elimination playoffs are lame.

1) Because you clicked on the link
    2) Because it's really code. That's right. I'm talking about HC dueling brackets in a tourney we're running... nothing more... move along >.>

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  5. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

I actually visit daily, just not a very active poster. And I have seen many an OT thread here - this one just caught my eye, because I didn't understand squat about what was about :grin:.

...and I was only making a joke - no harm intended :embarassed:.

6. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

...and I was only making a joke - no harm intended :embarassed:.[/QUOTE]

Pfffffffffffffffffffff! Liar!

7. MoUsE_WiZ

Yes, I realized that I reconized your avatar after... apparently I didn't edit quick enough ~_~

8. MoUsE_WiZ

Came home from work just in time for SJ/Dal OT tonight, and OMFG what a period O_O

The Nabokov save keeps being shown in slow motion which is too bad... it's so much more jaw dropping at full speed.

9. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Re: OT: Wings/Pens?

Wings are looking damn strong... been a fan for a long time (grew up in Jackson, MI).

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Goal Tending is usually the biggest factor and IMO in the Pens/Wings matchup the Wings have the tenders. Much the same with the Avs/Wings, you could put several Sackics and Forsburgs on the ice but without good tenders you are in trouble. Frankly I think the Avs did all they could do with their tenders. I wonder if Sakic isnt under 100% and I know Forsburg isnt 100% and although Hejduk is good I have never looked at him as a "star".

Jagr is one of those somewhat unmatchables in the game. He is so large and skilled that if he is on his game you just cannot stop him but only hope to contain him so to speak. I never liked the over all team build of the Rangers, and losing Avery hurt them IMO a good deal. One thing I have never liked about Jagr is his defensive work. Sure he might score a goal + game average but he can also give that up or better at times.

I havent been able to keep up with the NHL since they arent on ESPN like they were but i do catch a bit on Versus and I still do my NHL fantasy stuff (not that it makes me a pro or anything). Matter of fact, somehow Hossa ended up on the Pens and I didnt even know it!!!

11. marcello

marcello Banned

Pens FTW!!! To bad they didn't get Campbell instead of Hossa. They really need another good defender to be able to beat Red Wings imo. But Crosby/Hossa/Malkin/Malone/Sykora etc is damn strong.

I'm curious if the mule will keep on scoring. Oh and btw, Detroit withouts swe's would be total crap. Last game against Colorado they scored 8(!!!) out of 8 goals. That's good stuff! :thumbsup:

12. MoUsE_WiZ

But just look at how easy it is to make fun of Osgood!!
    Osbad
    Osnogood
    Osgoodgodhowdidthatgetbyhim?
    You get the idea ~_~

Really though... Fleury and Osgood both have GAA <2, and both have save% >.93 in the playoffs. At the same time, neither of them is really an established star goalie like Hasek (who isn't the Hasek of old, hence Osgood playing ~_~), Brodeur, or even a guy you think of an up and coming star like Turco or Nabokov. They're both solid, and both capable of stealing games, but I wouldn't go into games expecting a stolen game, I just wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I think the two teams are fairly even in that department.

It's just that Detroit controls the puck so much it makes Osgood's job easy. Least that's my opinion... I'm clearly not being paid by TSN to do hockey analysis so take that with a grain of salt ^^

Heh... with Crosby and Malkin on the team it can be easy to forget, though going by game 5 it's a good thing they did pick him up.

In other news:
    Nabokov is going to play in the world champs (stupid lazy sharks... we could've had Turco ><)... that combined with Canada barely holding on for the win vs the inferior-on-paper US team 5-4 today... out look not so good for Canada at the moment. Still gotta bet on the home team though ~_~

13. marcello

marcello Banned

I believe you are underestimating the capacity the US team holds. Most think of them as waaay inferior to the other teams, but the way they played against Canada yesterday made me believe in them. I mean, imo they were better than Canada, and the game should've ended with a draw after regulation time.

In other news: Sweden gets Doug Murray and Henrik Lundqvist, so now we have the best goalie in the WC, and most probably in the world. :azn:

14. MoUsE_WiZ

I don't disagree with that. But I still attribute it to Canada's poor play rather than their good play... it's not the first time a Canadian team has failed to click in international play afterall.

WC? Western Conference? Am I mistaken by the acronymn, or are you all mixed up o_O

He sure ain't the best in the west ~_~

15. marcello

marcello Banned

World Championship. And he plays in NYR, Eastern you know? :smiley: And he's the only reason Rangers went past Devils. In my book no goalie in NHL is as complete as him. Brodeur comes damn close but no cigar. Marty Turco or Nabokov are struggling in the shadow of his greatness.

16. MoUsE_WiZ

Yeah, I figured out what you meant after I left for work.
    And yeah, I know he plays in NY, hence the confusion ^^

5 goals on 17 shots is the only reason the pens won game 3 ~_~

I'd take either of the west goalies over him. Kipper&Brodeur I'd consider on par. But ah well... I'm sure he'll do better than Salo for you XD

17. marcello

marcello Banned

Yeah, I mean, he lead us to the olympic gold, ploughin canada 5-2 and usa even more :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have you ever seen Kipper, Turco, Nabokov do the same? :rolleyes::wink3:

18. MoUsE_WiZ

Sweden beat Canada 5-3 with Salo in goal in 2002... yet I don't see much praise for him ~_~

Single elimination tournies where teams don't have much time to play together leave room for all sorts of things to happen, I mean who loses to Switzerland, really? ><

The point is, I wouldn't use performance in a handful of international games to judge a player's ability, at least not when there's multiple seasons of NHL performance to look at.

Also...
    Turco hasn't been given the chance because Brodeur's been the guy.
    Nabokov, not yet, but we'll see what happens in 2010.
    Kipper hasn't had Sundin, Alfredson, and Forsberg playing in front of him... has Lundqvist dragged NYR through to game 7 of the cup finals yet? ~_~

19. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

I'm smelling an excellent opportunity to stomp on some swedish toes.

YOU LOST TO SWITZERLAND HA-HA! -Nelson Muntz

20. marcello

marcello Banned

2003, remember that Quarterfinal? :rolleyes: