OT: Why game companies cannot earn my trust

Nautilus

Diabloii.Net Member
oh the humanity

This is why I always felt sick when people farm in mmorpgs. It shames me to see just how exploitable the system really is. But I will not be participating in it again.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
The problem isn't with the botters, it's the idiots who pay real money for items in these games. I know I've considered selling enigmas on ebay when I played bnet, but decided to just play and have fun.

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
skoolbus said:
The problem isn't with the botters, it's the idiots who pay real money for items in these games.
Yep, kill demand and suddenly it's no longer profitable.

Though if the "farmers" weren't doing better at that job then the others available, they wouldn't take it. Shoot, I bet if you were tending goats all day in the rain and had the oppurtunity to sit inside in front of the computer all day "playing games" and you'd make more money while you were at it, you'd be happy with it too. Unlike real sweat shops, the farm owners have a high demand for the jobs they offer.

Dark Warrior

Diabloii.Net Member
What gets me about the whole MMORPG thing is that 1st, you pay 50$ for the game then you have to play 15-20$ a month jsut to play it....Thats just wrong.. It's kinda like buying a Car with no rims....sure looks kool sittin in the driveway, just cant do anything with it.

-dw

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, Guild Wars looked interesting to me, at least for a little while, and having played the beta, it seemed like they fixed many things I don't like about MMOs. But now I'm already hearing about the botting/farming being done there as well.

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
Tarr said:
Well, Guild Wars looked interesting to me, at least for a little while, and having played the beta, it seemed like they fixed many things I don't like about MMOs. But now I'm already hearing about the botting/farming being done there as well.
unlike many other MMos though, you never have to inter act with the people who farm/bot or the people who buy the junk. Once you leave town, it's only you and who ever's on your team. (which an be henchmen if you want to avoid people) And frankly, there are people who farm D2, too. You just chose to not interact with them. That's all you can do on any popular game.

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
That's very true. But like the cattle.net D2 farming, whether or not I have to directly interact with the botters, in realm D2, I didn't have to either, but it leads to ruination of economies. Those games are supposed to thrive on trading and a player ran economy. But when someone farms 1000 of X super rare item it now has no value, so the one I find legitly consequently is worthless if it's not for my own character.

Edit: Also, water_moon, I agree with your point on the farmers themselves...let's see, physical labor, or tending bots in a PC game for about the same money...hmmm.

And also, I should mention that RL money becoming a factor in the competitive nature of an MMO is an absolute crime. The driving monetary factor is what forced me from another game I used to love years ago, and, yep, you guessed it from my av, it was M:TG. I was called a newbie at tournaments because my deck didn't cost over $1000 US to build.

Rynda

Diabloii.Net Member
I just recently quit FFXI after playing it for nearly 2 years. Boy has that game gone down the tubes. People have become so elitist such that they won't party with people unless they have certain very high end items. And yet, it takes a lot of time and effort to make gil in a ligit way in that game. So this leads to a lot of gil buying, which has led to a lot of Chinese gil farmers... Who subsequently ruin the market for people trying to make gil ligitly. And I know FFXI isn't the only game with this problem. It's just a vicious circle.

I now have people trying to convince me to play World of Warcraft, but right now I need that like I need a hole in my head. I'll just stick to Diablo II for the time being. :thumbsup:

Mage11

Diabloii.Net Member
Dark Warrior said:
What gets me about the whole MMORPG thing is that 1st, you pay 50$ for the game then you have to play 15-20$ a month jsut to play it....Thats just wrong.. It's kinda like buying a Car with no rims....sure looks kool sittin in the driveway, just cant do anything with it.

-dw
I would liken it more to buying a car, and having to refuel every week/month. Of course, the fuel doesn't cost 30-40% of the car value. I would never pay real money for a game item.