Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: when do you check the time?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tolano, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Tolano

Tolano IncGamers Member

OT: when do you check the time?

i noticed the other day that i always seemed to check my watch on the 47th minute of every hour. i don't know why i was thinking about this, but i just looked at my watch, and it was 9:47 and it just clicked in my head. im curious, does anyone else find themselves checking the time at a specific time?

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I check the time every time i need to get a watch.
    Also, at college, lessons are an hour long. I always seem to see the clock or ask a friend for the time at about 50 minutes. then i just sit and watch the clock waiting for the lesson to end.
    I have a really short attention span....poo.
    EDIT: wouldnt it make sense to just think everytime you want to know the time 'Ah, must be 47mins past' then all you have to remember is the hour. :thumbsup:

3. Alien

Alien IncGamers Member

Yea, every 5 minutes I'm in a class :lol: ...seriously, whenever I have the time or urge to look up from doing whatever I'm doing. Ironic that as I'm typing it it is 5:47...

Fear the 47. It's coming for us.

4. lasagnaman

lasagnaman IncGamers Member

11:11 and 4:44. really really weird. it's been happening for over a year now. those aren't the ONLY times i check the time, to be sure, but those 2 times seem to crop up more often than they should if it were completely random.

5. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Heh, 12:34. I have woke up from a sound sleep, and looked at the clock..12:34. It is almost frustrating.

6. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I rarely use a clock. Class is over when I get done... usually quite a bit before the scheduled end. I get to class early enough that I rarely have to check time there either. I guess the only time I really clock watch is to make sure I don't start class early.

7. LOCO

LOCO IncGamers Member

i havent worn a watch for about 7 years, i dont even have a clock in my bedroom.

if i want to know the time i just look at the sun,
    and i wonder why i cant see so good.

8. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

It's called selective memory. You look at your watch a lot, and for some reasons the times when you look at it and it says 47 are sticking. So you think, man I always look at my watch at 47 minutes past the hour.

We all do it to various degrees. Like thinking it always rains when I forget my jacket. It rains a lot and you forget your jacket a lot, just the times when both occur are more memorable, so this is what you remember.

9. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

briefly answering: when it's too late.

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I believe we often check the time when we don't need, but forgot to check when it is already late.

I don't even remember what's the last time I wear a watch. For some years now, the only watch I carry is my mobile phone, and most often I just look the computer screen.

11. Tolano

Tolano IncGamers Member

its 7:47 here. that would make sense that it was selective memory, i just cant figure out why it has to be 47, its a stupid number anyway.

12. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Selective memory must be it...

It must be the selective-memory-thing; you think it's always 47 when you watch. You probably just don't remember other instances you check the time and it ends with something different.

And times like 12:34, 4:44 and 11:11 are just easier to remember; they get your attention.

David.

13. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Yeah, everybody has a tendancy to remember something they find interesting or unusual as well as remember bad things more then good.

For some reason :47 seems to be a number that sticks in you head Tolano. Go figure. :D

14. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

a typical dialogue between my cousin and myself:

cousin: what's the time?
    myself: time for a pint of beer ! ;)

I wear no watch. if I have an appointment, I set an alarm on my mobile phone so I can keep it.

15. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Never wore a watch myself.

Yeah, if you've got an appointment just have you're mobile remind you.

There are clocks everywhere and mobiles show you the time, so why bother with a sweaty wrist...

David.

Isengart, congrat's, party on....

16. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

12:34 for me, at both the middle and end of the day.
    Been happening since I was a teenager.
    I'm so conscious of it that I would absolutely notice any time I look and it says 12:30-33 or 12:35-40. Never ever happens. Always 12:34.

It is no coincidence at all that it is around those times (I eat lunch and go to bed at 12:30, pm and am respectively, most days) but the reproducibility of the experiment puts it way outside the realm of chance acceptable to a trained statistician (which I am).

The curious thing is it doesn't matter which clock I look at, and the clocks in my house are not all on exactly the same time. I seem to look at the clock exactly when that clock says 12:34.