Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT:When did you first ever play Diablo and what was your incentive?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Sep 19, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

OT:When did you first ever play Diablo and what was your incentive?

Hi guys, I just got to thinking back to when I first started playing D2 and wondered how each and every one of you started as well. I guess I'll start first.

Every summer, all I would do was hang out with my neighbor's nephew, John, who came out every year. Every day pretty much consisted of the same two things:Either going to the pool at my house or upstairs in John's room playing Xbox (I cannot tell you how many times we've beaten Halo, my guess would have to be in the thousand range haha, man did we have fun). But this year, while I was playing xbox by myself at times, John would be on this game called Diablo :rolleyes: At first, I almost made fun of him for it and ridiculed the game...but on one dreary afternoon...John was playing Xbox when I walked in and I decided to get on the computer instead of playing. I was planning on playing some Monopoly Tycoon-I know, laugh it up, but that game was, for some god forsaken reason, a guilty pleasure to me and on some nights John, his aunt and uncle, and me would play monopoly for hours. But for some reason, I thought I'd give this "Diablo" thing a try, and the rest is history. I remember staying up for whole nights playing it and to this day I still believe the most fun time I've ever had on this game was back then when I was absolutely clueless about every character and every thing and was still trying to figure everything out. A crappy unique to me back then was like winning the lottery and the game just never got old.

Well I don't really have to get into detail after that. Just post when, why, and how you guys started and have fun.

P.S-When I said I first started playing Diablo, that was LoD, I know, I know...I regret that I never got to experience old school D, but there was nothing I could do.

2. BabyLink

BabyLink IncGamers Member

How did i had d2? Well, it was my friend who brought it at home some day, and i was impressed by this and i bought the game. I started in LoD too, and i made a sin and druid before trying bnet. Note that my both char weren't godly at all :laugh:

3. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

well my first time was back in D1 (even before hellfire). Anyone need me to dupe their godly plate of the whale, kings sword of haste or obsidian rings of the zodiac? I can probably find a arch angles staff of chain lightning or apocalypse if anyone needs it. That was back in my college days. I remember buiding my pentium 166. Some of my friends still had 486's. At first 1 of my friends got into it. We spend the summer working at a local tourist trap and living in their bunkhouse. There was only 1 phone line so we couldn't even dial up to play with each other. (this was in the days back before network cards a standard install - actually modems weren't even standard.) So we'd sit around and watch the 1 guy who was playing. Diablo I was a big step up for us gaming wize. Beside that we would play civilization I or maybe break out the super nintendo for a night of super mario cart or bomberman (those are both great drinking games if you haven't tried it)

Years later a friend of mine at work was talking about playing a new computer game online. He was telling me about while I followed along. Some of it really started to sound familiar. By the end of the week he had me hooked.

4. diablo loves donutz

*Note to self-buy alcohol and find super nintendo in attic. Thanks for the tip mage.

Although I'm still sick from the party I went to Friday night. More than likely due to the jungle juice, everclear with lots of fruit and stuff, in the cooler and you got a refill by simply dipping your cup in the cooler...very sanitary. Altough after a few screwdrivers and pretty much a whole bottle of malibu coconut rum (i had to laugh at the fact since no one likes coconut i pretty much had the whole bottle to myself) i wasn't really too worried about sanitation.

5. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

I was looking for some games that would work on my old Power Mac 6100/60 and noticed Diablo among some others. Since it came with the strategy guide and seemed to be somewhat of a RPG (although I realized after I got it that it was more of a hack & slash game with a good story), and I already had Warcraft by the same company (Blizzard), I bought it. That got me hooked and I planned on buying Diablo II as soon as they announced it.

Jude

6. Mardonius

Mardonius IncGamers Member

:shocked: I haven't posted in this forum in over 3 years, and I have recently started playing D2 again.

Anyway, as to the question of this thread, I bought D2 as it was released. I had recently quit Everquest and was looking for something new for gaming entertainment.

I play D2 when I am not online palying WoW.

7. DIIRob

DIIRob IncGamers Member

My sister's boyfriend at the time was a big fan of the original Diablo for the PlayStation and ended up buying Diablo 2 shortly after it was released. I was extremely skeptical at first; I never saw the appeal in fantasy RPGs. Needless to say, that skepticism didn't last long... And the rest is history!

There was nothing like 3-player LAN questing from the very beginning. Completely unaware of upcoming items/plot/characters, it was like Christmas all over again every time something foreign would drop. "A cracked great maul! Whoa!" "150 defense armor?!"

God, I wish I could experience that again!

8. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

I only owned a PS1 when the first Diablo was released:sad:Being a horror film/game fan I loved the look of diablo. It scored game of the year and the cover of the game box was very enticing to me.

Not long after it came out on PS and I found a second hand copy in a games shop and diablo kind of consumed me:laugh:
    I had D2 on preorder for 18 months before it finally came out :rolleyes:Funny thing was it took me a month before I really got into it but the rest is history...

Btw another great drinking is micro machines multiplayer and the worms series much much much FUN:grin:

9. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

OT (if there is such a thing in an OT thread)

James Bond for the N64 was another great dorm game. I was an RA my senior year and about half of mt students failed out of school because they were in my room playing it 24x7. It was fun though.

But the greatest RPG of all time? well, check out my avatar.

by the way - I never cared for D1 on the playstation. I had the PC game and my brother pought the PS1 version. The control and graphics were no where near as good. I think the best part of the game was (and still is) the on-line interaction.

10. grossesexy

grossesexy IncGamers Member

Friend of mine had D1 and it looked like loads of fun so I borrowed it from him. Beat it, then bought it on ps1 and beat it there too later.

I knew I wanted D2 from the experience of the first, so we both picked up retail copies the day before it was actually released. I take long periods of time off every now and then but I keep coming back. I bought the LoD expansion the day it came out too.

11. diablo loves donutz

Oh god yes, James bond. While although that was during my youth years of around 10 or 11 or even younger...not to sure, my friend and I would play non stop omg it was fun. I remember playing 3 player with his neighbor and my friend and I said we wouldn't gang up on him, but we both got golden guns and pawned him :azn:

12. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

I don't really remember. I think I just randomly bought D1 way back in the day. Randomly bought D2 years later because D1 was fun. Played like a noob forever and eventually tried out bnet and learned how to actually make a useful character. Now I'm on SP cause losing your characters sucks. Legitness is good too.

13. MysticDragon

MysticDragon IncGamers Member

First time I played Diablo 1 was a some time back. Around 3 years ago. I played Starcraft (best game ever! Well... D2 is good, too) before then and I was interested in other Blizzard titles. I played D2 LoD after that. I never got to experience classic. I tried playing classic, but I was too used to the LoD-only items. It never really stuck with me. Has anyone else ever notice that the warrior without a weapon and using a Stormshield with shift attack look like a Smite? Oh, yeah. The butcher! Really scary the first time I saw him.

14. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

The butcher scared the hell outta me too the first time I found him:grin:
    When you get to him youre around lvl2-3 and hes about lvl10:shocked:

Theres just something about that room hes in that says open me and then you find it was a bad idea!!

15. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

The first time I played a Diablo release was when a friend bought over the Diablo demo waaay back when (I don't even remember when it was - it could have been around 1997 or 1998?), and we played it on my Pentium 166. From then I got Diablo II via a copy from my friends who were all hooked on it at the time of release. I immediately fell in love with the game and it actually took me close to 6 years to find the Battle Chest and buy it - and I bought it in California, 10,000 miles away from home, here in Sydney.

I remember playing my first Barb by myself and defeating Blood Raven, then walking into the Mausoleum. I remember being so damn scared of what would happen - the music, I'll always remember the music having that impact on me. I remember kicking open a barrel and a Zombie popping out, so I simply ran out of the Mausoleum.

16. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

A sydney-sider! Ye gods, what is this forum coming to! Just kidding. Good to see some aussies rippin up the SPF.

Sorry for the OT

Edit: I'm in Melbourne, BTW

17. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

There are plenty of us to go around, mate :wink3:

A few weeks back every second intro thread I read had someone from Victoria or Queensland signing into the SPF.

18. herobomberman

herobomberman IncGamers Member

that made me lol.

i played a game called "castle of the winds" on my v.old 386 back in like 91? it was a very cool rpg (for its time i guess) Its availible free on "teh internetz" now, and about 6 months ago, a guy uploaded it on a local site and i saw it and went "zomg oldschool?" so my brother and i got right into it again, played it hardcore for a few weeks tilla mate of mine saw me and sed "d00d, just get d2"

.. so i did.. and my lord... and i havent stopped.

EDIT: oh how random.. im from perth. wa>easties :p

19. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Interesting. I'll start up an OT thread about where people are, and then PM the ones here in Melbourne. It would be cool to meet some local people who play D2, apart from you CelciusXII, but you're just a forum lurker anyways :wink:

20. herobomberman

herobomberman IncGamers Member

i'll be in melbourne for the boxing day test :)