Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: What TV Shows/Anime are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ioupainmax, Jun 21, 2018.

1. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

We have a small hobby farm and a big family, so we don't get much time for TV let alone Diablo! But here's what I got going on:

TV Shows
    1. Westworld:
      My wife and I's favorite show. Though, lots of nudity and violence but she's handling it ok :) lol
    2. Stranger Things:
      This one is just "ok" for me. I was mainly interested because I've been following MK Ultra since I found my first conspiracy theory website... like a decade ago. Good show that keeps us interested but not my favorite
    Anime

I actually do not watch much anime lol. In fact, none!

2. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I started watching Stranger Thinks but it hasn’t really grabbed me.

Currently on the third book of the Gentlemen Bastards sequence by Scott Lynch. After ASOFAI and Patrick Rothfuss I swore never to read an unfinished sequence again, but found out on the internet that there are more books planned for this one. At least the stories are fairly self contained.

I actually wonder if GRRM will ever finish the sequence.

ioupainmax, dkn and Luhkoh like this.
  3. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

I hate to be too pessimistic, but I don't think there's any chance at all. I fully expect book 6 and no book 7. Gentlemen bastards is really fun! The third book was a bit polarizing though. Love to hear what you think of it when you finish it.

4. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Ditto, couldn't get through more than 1 or 2 episodes. It being overhyped just made things worse.

5. zemaj

zemaj Diabloii.Net Member

I'm glad I caught Stranger Things before all the hype... I don't think there is any way it COULD live up to all the hype it's gotten.

That said, still need to binge the new season, but I mentioned not really feeling TV in my last post...

6. ioupainmax

I just don't think I'm the target audience for it.

7. AlexTheNextOne

AlexTheNextOne Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a podcast guy, so I almost never consume product unless I have nothing to do and am sitting with my family, watching whatever they've got on (and I don't do anime).

The other day we checked out the first episode of NOS4A2 (after the little one went to bed, of course), which intrigued me a little bit, I'll probably check out more tonight.

8. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

Haha, glad you enjoyed it. I've only listened to the first 3-4 audiobooks I think, so don't know how the books compare with the audiobooks, or how the later books were, but it's an odd twist to the modern fantasy genre that I found refreshing, with very light-hearted, easy going writing style.

I do think with every series, things go down hill towards the end. From movies that just have one too many sequels, to novels, it's hard to keep something creative, fresh, and still the same, and relevant to the current time.
    The Sword of Truth series mentioned above, I loved the first few books, but never finished the series, as it always seemed to go on, without getting anywhere.
    Belgariad and Malloreon series, again, I love them, but the ending is something that just didn't work for me. (Without going into detail, the ending just made the entire series... Anti-climactic, like the events that took place didn't even really matter. Still love the books and story!)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    Void Stalker likes this.
  9. ioupainmax

Yeah I understand, books/tv shows/film sequels fall into a few different categories:
    • Story stretched too thin - should have finished sooner, but human greed got in the way and they wouldn't let go at the natural end point, so now they have ruined it's legacy.
    • Books with forgone conclusions - like the Belgariad series - loss of a sense of danger (understandable in a book marketed towards a younger audience)
    • Power creep - they've written themselves into a corner and to get out of it, they have to ruin stories or characters.
    • Filler - padding out a story (worse than 'stretching out too thin') this is just irrelevant stuff that should be cut.

10. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I think that Stranger Things is brilliant, but very few shows live up to the 'hype'. The best thing to do is not get taken in by the hype. Similarly, I tried three times over the year to get into Breaking Bad and just couldn't do it, currently I'm two seasons in and loving it *shrug*