Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ot : Walmart return policy

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by NightShade, Mar 26, 2004.

1. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Ot : Walmart return policy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

I have yet to see a store policy that accepts returned videogames, exept to recieve a new copy. The reason they don't accept refunds is because people would buy a game, burn/rip it, take it back for a refund, and rinse repeat with another game.

I'm not sure what the policy is for getting new copies of a game bundled with a cd-key. Just take it back and tell them the box was opened or that the game was defective/not working, and ask for a new copy. :)

3. NightShade

*whistles innocently*

4. YouHaveMail

YouHaveMail IncGamers Member

Can't you buy a game, open it, try out, return it, say it's defective they'll give you a brand new one non-opened. Then wait a while and return that for cash?

5. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

I would recommend taking a look at your local consumer laws. Often store policies are not legal in the area of returns but they simply take advantage of the fact that consumer does not know their rights. If it is a case of you abusing a store return policy then shame shame! If not check it out and bring in the appropriate piece of legislation with you and point it out to a manager.

Does this work in reality not just in theory? Across the board I can't say, but it worked for me one time. I purchased a pair of winter boots, fairly pricey, but the salesperson assured me they would meet my requirements and they were quite comfortable. My requirements being, outside of comfort, that they keep the snow and moisture out. I wasn't asking for waterproof but I also didn't want something that felt like I was walking in sandals. I bought them and wore them the next day. I stepped into some slush and bingo complete soaker. Needless to say I was not happy. I looked on the receipt and it read as follows :" No returns or exchanges on footwear after 14 days, or if they have been worn outside." I thought to myself what utter crap, that can't be legal and the research began.

Thanks to a very informative marketing teacher I had in college I knew basically where to look. Living in Ontario Canada we have two pieces of legislation at least that I was aware of. The consumer protection act, and the act of sales and goods. After perusing them I printed them out and marched back to the store. The manager insisted it was store policy and he couldn't do anything about it. So I promptly placed my printouts on the counter and informed him their return policy was blatantly illegal and I refered him to the highlighted sections. At this point he said they weren't, but even if they were that I wouldn't want to take this to court. I agreed I didn't want to but I assured him that as a consumer I was enough of a prick to do something on principle alone if I felt someone was trampling on my rights, and I would gladly take it to small claims court. He called my bluff I started to walk away and mentioned I would return after filing my claim.

End result? Before I took more than five steps he said he would " in the interest of customer relations refund my purchase to keep me happy but the store wasn't in violation of the mentioned legislation". I received my refund and cheerfully told him I would never shop there again, and that I would inform everyone I knew about their terrible policies and lack of customer service. I have never shopped their since and mention this story whenever these types of things come into discussion. I was nice however and didn't forward a complaint to the BBB.

The moral of the story? The big company doesn't always have the edge if you are willing to do a little research and stand your ground, provided you do have a legal leg to stand on. And yes, for the curious, I would have taken it to small claims court on principle alone if he had pushed it that far. Sometimes you have to be a prick to defend your rights, if one can call that being a prick. ;)

6. NightShade

Eh, I got the game as a present. They opened it to make sure there was everything there. They'll probably accept the return, that or I'll give it to one of my younger siblings who enjoy such starwars classics as the origional jedi knight.

7. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

I know of a rental store that hires out computer games...

IMO its kind of stupid if you ask me.

8. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

My friend did that, the first time he got away with it(he refunded) but the second and thrid time, Customer Service wouldnt let him..

but he did exchange it...

the games were D2 and Counterstrike btw..

then again, the 1st return was almost 2 years ago, perhaps Walmart didnt introduce the no-return policy until, like Christopher Sin mentioned,the CD-ripping.

And good job sohcan, show em who pays the taxes... ;)

9. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

LOL Thanks. :)

Canada is a strange country, a country where downloading of music is legal and uploading is illegal. A country where I pay a piracy tax on recordable mediums, regardless of what I put on it, evil downloaded music or my tax returns. So I find its imperative that one pays attention, especially in legal matters! But hey I can pull a big corporation line anytime an artist whines about mp3's! I am sorry you feel that way but it is legal, and gosh darn it I paid my darn piracy tax! If I have to pay the fine, no matter how I use the medium, then perhaps I should be allowed to do the crime? :D

10. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Why's it stupid for a company to rent out PC games Rah?
    I mean, they know damn well that people will burn the game, but they still recieve their 4$ or whatever before it's done.

Unless of course by stupid you mean that they're probably breaking EULAs and possibly some laws ^_^

11. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Tis true sohcan, gotta love our taxes on blank CDs o_O

The Calgary Sun ran a story a couple months ago complaining about the tax, saying it was unfair for people who pay for their music through iTunes or whatever the service is to have to pay for it twice. I, and a few other people I know, wrote them very angry letters about that telling them that this "unfair" hidden charge on blank CDs is protecting millions of 10 yearold Canadians from being sued by the RIAA...one of the letters ended up getting printed ^_^

12. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

haha so true..

when i heard about that illegal uploading, and legal downloading i was really surprised haha...

13. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

In theory that would work. I used to be in management for a large electronics store (no, I won't name them, I don't want to give them any advertising :p) and our policy was that if the game came back "defective" then we would replace it with the same title. The catch was that we were required by "company policy" to open the game in front of the customer. So... they came in with an open game and they left with an open game.

14. Christor

Christor IncGamers Member

WAL-MART SUCKS!

er.....sorry about that, I used to work there :grrr:

Condescending store manager...things got ugly...now I don't work there anymore...:rolleyes:

BTW, all the pictures of smiling employees are fake. No one is happy working there.

15. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

That is because they pay you a slave wage and refuse to give you full time benefits even as they add an hour here or shave 10 minutes there to keep you the VERY edge of full time .... *grumbles*
    (my first job after moving out of Mom & Dad's while I was too dumb to know better)

16. Christor

Christor IncGamers Member

I hear ya...believe me, I hear ya...

One of my best friends also worked there. He worked there for about 3 years, until recently quitting because they screwed him over BIG time (and I'm sure they did something illegal in the process). He was supposed to be transferred to a Wal-Mart closer to his college, but they "lost" all of his files and records of working there, and thus he was forced to move back to the original one, on the bottom rung again with the lowest possible wages and worst job (picking up carts from the parking lot in the middle of a very harsh New England winter).

Pisses me off just thinking about what they did to him.

17. Ka0s047

Ka0s047 IncGamers Member

Hmm makes me thing twice about getting my first job their...Looks like im off to Taco Bell instead...:D