Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Video Editing - Help Please?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hp_Sauce, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce Diabloii.Net Member

OT: Video Editing - Help Please?

I'm sorry to post this here as it is quite off topic, but I know this to be a place with many different skilled people.

I'm trying to edit a video. It's 41 minutes long and all I want to do is use a small 2 minute and 20 second section of it that begins 35 minutes and 40 seconds in.

I had assumed I could download pretty much any free video editing software, flag the start position, flag the stop position, hit crop, hit save, and be done with it.

Apparently this is not true?!? I'm on about my 10th program now. There is no shortage of Video Converters (avi to mpeg, or whatever it may be), however, none of them see to have the option of creating a start and stop time.

Some of the other programs I have tried that claim to be designed to actually edit a video do not seem to be able to do that, or I am too dence to figure them out.

The real problem is I wanted to use the video clip in a spanish presentation tomorrow, and I simply don't have time to study up, read guides, learn which one is the best, and how to use it. Screwed myself with procrastination, I know. :banghead:

So I was hoping there might be someone in the SPF croud who has had success doing something similar and might be able to recommend a (free) program for doing this?

I will still get a passing mark on the presentation without the video clip, but I really think it will improve the enjoyability factor!

Thanks in advance guys!
    -hps

2. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

i used to mess around with adobe' premeire a bit. you somewhat have the right idea of flagging the start and stop sections. In premeire though, when you did that, instead of being able to crop, it just divides your clip into sections where you start and stop it. That way you now have three sections. The beggining of the movie until where you flagged the start point. then the area you flagged, and then from where the flagged part ends, till the end of the movie. Then you would delete the two outer sections and have the remaining inner clip that u need. Now I doubt you have Premeire, but that is how I used to do it, so maybe there is some sort of way to do it like that in the programs u use.

3. Psychic Watch

Psychic Watch Diabloii.Net Member

What video format (.WMV, .AVI) is the source in?

I've used two free programs to do the start/end time cropping for those formats - Windows Media File Editor and VirtualDub.

4. Hp_Sauce

It's currently in the .avi format

I downloaded VirtualDub. It's exactly what I was looking for, no features, no instructions, no options, just the basics. I cropped the video and saved it as an avi, everything worked perfectly.

except for one little snag. the 2 minute 20 second video clip is 4.6 GIG's! How is that even possible? it only came from a 700 MB file.

-hps

5. Delreich

Delreich Diabloii.Net Member

6. DarkChaos

DarkChaos Diabloii.Net Member

Encode it using a different codec. VirtualDub is so awesome, just use DivX or something.

7. Hp_Sauce

I've managed to get the clip down to a much more reasonable size by converting it to a .mpq file. I don't know how, or why but its 65 megs now instead of 4.5 gigs. So the only question is if the schools computers will have the codecs to play it properly now.

Thank you very much for your help everyone! VirtualDub was the key to my problem, thanks Psychic Watch for mentioning it. It was so much easier to use then the other's I had tried, and way faster at rendering the file at the end.

-hps

8. trekdanne

trekdanne Diabloii.Net Member

click keep original video stream, dont encode it again

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Probably a bit late now, but I use the mpeg4 - fast motion and mp3 128k audio compression in virtualdub for the pvp videos. I didn't realize that you could compress the audio too until Denton mentioned it :thumbsup: and that will make your file even smaller HP. I use the K-Lite Codec pack.

10. trekdanne

trekdanne Diabloii.Net Member

under Video, select Direct Stream Copy. The new file will be coded with the same codec as the original file and will probably be smaller then 65 megs.

11. Hp_Sauce

It is indeed too late, the presentation was presented, the video clip was played and all was a success (aside from the fact that I'm sure my Spanish accent is garbage).

As extra punishment for my procrastination, when I went to burn the video clip onto a cd last night at about 1:30am I realized that I hadn't installed any form of cd writing software on my computer since my last format. D'oh! So I had to grab and install nero before I could go to bed.

Codec's have always been a bit of a mystery to me. I can make them work as far as watching my favorite TV shows when I download them goes, but I've never been able to do much more with video and its software.

I've got a bunch of video footage from when I went to Barbadoes that I've always wanted to edit into something a little more interesting but have never been able to really start it, and since it was just a personal project I never had enough motivation to learn about it. Maybe now I can actually give it a go since some of your responses actually made a few things 'click' in my brain.

Thanks
    -hps