OT: USA won Wold Cup of Baking

WhiskeyJack

Diabloii.Net Member
OT: USA won Wold Cup of Baking

Just had to post it, since my brother-in-law was team captain, and they took first! the Coupe was a couple of weeks ago in Paris (yes, I took my time posting- but I'm not used to posting semi-family related things), and the US took first (France 2nd, Japan 3rd). The competition involves teams of three completing artistic showpiece (yes, made of bread and dough), traditional+innovative breads, and viennoisserie (croissant/brioche and associated creations). This year, they added a requirement to have some odd dozens of finger sandwhiches added as well (they ended up featured on the artistic piece). All of the above has to be finished within 8 hours (iirc, or was it 5?).

Anyways, it was a fantastic win for them, as they competed against the best in the world (to just make it to the competition speaks so highly of the teams, and the dedication of all the team members to their craft). So- congrats to all the competitors, and congrats to my brother-in-law! WOO!!!! :D

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
Wha... o_O They sure have a cup for everything, don' they. Anyway congrats!

Oh yeah, got any picture of their final product? :D

water_moon will be proud. I wonder if she will be on there team next year. she should be if she can artistically style bread as well as she can make cookies.:thumbsup:

barren

Diabloii.Net Member
Lol, that's pretty cool. So I guess you're famous now that you're related to the world's best baker :)

WhiskeyJack

Diabloii.Net Member
barren said:
Lol, that's pretty cool. So I guess you're famous now that you're related to the world's best baker :)
not famous no...lol...could barely find news on it here...ah well. as for cookies- nope, none involved, although some darn fine vienoisserie. Also- he'll be going to a chocolate/pastry contest this summer (used to be in vegas), again, an artistic showpiece (this time made out of chocolate), a european style cake (think 'torte' for us americans), small cakes, a small assortment of candies, frozen cake, and a sugar sculpture (those things are beautiful sometimes...)...so, i'll report on that later this summer. As for pics of the artistic piece, I still have to get some from them, and I'll get them posted in the next day or so...

cheers,
WJ

Slothman

Diabloii.Net Member
mmmmmmmm vienoisserie *drool*

not that i know what it/they are/is at all but it sounds mighty delicious :thumbsup:

just thinking about being a proffesional err pastry chef? (im sure there must be a technical title) makes me want to go bake something :)

congrats on your borther in law's achievements!

ToastedTacoGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
omg, i saw those contests on food network, well last years anyway. food is the roxxor, and anyone who wins at making food is pretty much the person(this is the politically correct form of "the man"). tell your brother-in-law that i want some cookays