Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Unemployment.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie IncGamers Member

OT: Unemployment.

I've seen some occasional mentions of unemployment on the forums, but being new to it myself, I thought I'd make a thread where people can share stories, vent, offer advice and support and maybe share ideas about short-term money-making or something. Hopefully international boundaries won't be an issue with regards to any government schemes, etc.

Here goes me:

My GF is a newly-qualified teacher, and last month we moved in together, ~100 miles away from where we were, to be close to her school where she now works. I left my job (fast food manager) with the hope of finding a new job (hopefully unrelated to fast food :crazyeyes:) in the city. It was the only job I've ever had and I've never been unemployed before.

Once we were settled with the house, and I'd fixed some things and assembled some new furniture, I started applying for jobs. Initially I just went up and down the high street handing out CVs to those who had vacancies, though most stores said they were only taking on temp staff in October for the Christmas rush. It's been over two weeks now and I still haven't heard anything, except from a bookshop where I was as-good-as told I was overqualified.

My GF is pulling in a lot of money (to what we've known before) as a first-year teacher (although money is tight until she gets her first paycheck at the end of the month) and it's wearing me down not being able to contribute financially to the relationship. While the GF's been at her job I've been watching old DVDs to later sell them, and generally trying to make money that way.

The management experience I have at McDonald's is pretty good but I did nothing on the ordering/HR/higher-management side of things, which makes me nervous about applying for other management jobs. I also have no formal IT qualifications as I was unable to choose it as an option at GCSE/A-level but I am self-taught to a competent level. I have a FdSc in Forensic Science, but have no real wish to work in this area.

I'd be happy working on a shop floor, or even as something like a receptionist, just while I get the lay of this new city (I come from quite a rural background). Later on today I'm going to apply for JSA (Job Seeker's Allowance) from the government website and do some more online searches.

-FE

2. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Re: OT: Unemployment.

I'm a college lecturer of 15+ years. Each summer I get 14-15 weeks of "vacation". Sounds like a dream job until you realize that much time can really suck. For the last 13 or so years I've been putting in with a temp agency for summer work. Until about 3 years ago, I'd have as much work as I would take on... mostly warehouse work or printing (lots of printing in our area due to wine production). It was fun because I'd do something different when ever I wanted to change up. For the last three summers there has been no work other than goodwill industries. It's been a real drag not having that extra paycheck and more time than I would ever ask for "vacation".

On the advice front: Marry the girl. Shacking up is fun, but marriage has it's advantages in term of employment too. Plus, you'll get on her health coverage. Ask at her school's HR if there's a job for you. Schools will often give spouses advantage in hiring as a retention strategy. They also hire quite a few people other than teachers. Other places to look: Hospitals and prisons hire about 5 times as many people as most people think they would. That's why we build so many of them here in the US. They run 24/7 fully staffed. Don't limit yourself as to what YOU think you can do... let employers figure out if they can use you. I never knew I could do half the summer jobs I have taken on. All else fails, go back to school.

3. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

On the advice side, I can only offer one thing: never give up.

You never know what you can do and what chance you would have. My current job was a chance that was sort of outside of my field 6 years ago.

Good luck.

4. Juicy Cheese

Juicy Cheese IncGamers Member

I was looking for a summer job as I make the transition between College and University and my mum suggested the local nursery she works at. Personally, I love kids, so it's not difficult for me, but I get to work whatever hours I want, providing they need staff, but also being male brings a huge advantage for you. Of the 40+ staff there, 3, including myself, are male. I've just got back after an 10 and a half hour shift and am suitifiably shattered, but feel very fulfilled and it is a really good temporary job to have.

Echoing DM, I'd stress never giving up, I'm sure you won't, but it's an important bit of advice, towards the end of my A levels I got a really jolt into responsiblity and persistance makes things happen 10 times faster in 99% of situations.

Of course if you can't stand kids then ignore most of the above :p

5. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Swing manager? Were you certified? That should mean you have excellent skills working with people as well as leading teams towards goals, be it hourly sales, high customer counts, etc. All you have to do is reword what you did as a manager and remove the fast food element, you have an excellent proposal for anyone hiring, and also have an excellent chunk to put on a resume.

And if your McDonald's is anything like mine you probably have a couple of people there that would love to act as a reference.

And worst case scenario, there are McDonalds every-freakin-where. Pick it back up at another store for a while for some "easy" money. Plus, think of the social networking you can get done at McDonalds. There are so many people there, you could essentially find a job just by taking the order of a businessman on lunch.

Also, anyone else not having a job, McDonalds pretty much always hires. All you have to do is have a shred of common sense and a slightly higher than average patience. (Which you guys play D2, so patience is pretty much in the bag. "LOL I RAN LK 20000 TIMES, NO HR YET BUT I'LL DO MORE")

6. corax

corax IncGamers Member

I had a friend who put their wow character on their resume and that landed them a job at maccas.

My advice: Get a Trade. They are not as hard as they look, most can be easily finished in under half the allotted time and then you always have thos skills to fall back on. IMO its the best option for anyone who doesn't know what they want to do. you might find you love it and keep at it or that you want to move onto something else afterwards but its always there to back you up.

7. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

This has nothing to do with unemployment, and being unemployed for 2 years, I really don't want to talk about it, but I met my wife working at a McDonalds. And I'm about a month shy of being married for 7 years

8. Ojimijam

Ojimijam IncGamers Member

Having had several (thankfully fairly short) stints of unemployment my advice is ask everywhere. If theres a place where you might fancy working drop in with a CV in a bag and have an ask, worst thing that happens is they take a sheet of paper and you never hear from them again. That and be open minded about what you can do, just because you were a fas food shift manager doesnt mean you wont have a decent stab at estate agent/tree surgeon/cook if you come across as a nice hard working guy.

and @ashmer gratz on the marriage.

9. Arranj

Arranj IncGamers Member

@ Fasteddie

Sign yourself up to some recruitment agencies mate. Just go there and ask if they have any work available for you. If your living in a city there will be a shed load of them around. They'll have plenty of stuff up for grabs, just keep popping in to them every 2 weeks or so and keep asking, you'll definatley have a job within a month.

I started my job as an agency boy on the shop floor of a starter company making a new kind of battery and within 3 years ive got myself into a technical role working under Dr's of chemistry and electrochemistry. I fell on my feet i guess.

So if your looking for work, get your *** in some agencies, job centre couldn't find you a job if their lives depended on it.

10. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

I was unemployed for the first ~2 months of marriage. It was terribly stressful, because the only serious job I'd held previous to that was 8 years in the Army.
    That transition to civilian life is tough.

But like others said, don't give up. And don't just "pound the pavement" either. You can make some great progress just searching on the internet for employment.

11. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

I agree with Arranj - try agencies like Reed, Hays, BlueArrow, Randstad, Greer, Manpower, OfficeAngels, Wise Employment and Pertemps.

Try going to your local connexions office for a list of agencies to try or just google recruitment agencies in your area.

I don't know what your CV looks like - but you may want to have someone look over it (I don't mind looking at it for you - I have designed a lot of CVs - I do some contemporary layouts and use various shades of grey to make the important info in black stand out more. Of course I completely understand if you don't want essentially a stranger to look at your details! If you're interested I can perhaps send you some templates with dummy info although I will have to change an existing one with the dummy info as I don't have one right now!) . Write covering letters for each specific job and perhaps call up the company and ask to speak to the HR department and get a contact name and email address. That way you can be sure your CV reaches a person who can actually help.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  12. charli

charli IncGamers Member

I'm just desperately unemployed :(

13. charli

charli IncGamers Member

Edit: sorry double post

14. corax

corax IncGamers Member

army boys...psssssh

my brother and brother in law are both army, i'd love to see them come to work with me for a day, they'd go home crying

15. ioupainmax

Do you work as a drag queen? That would make me cry too. :whistling:

16. corax

corax IncGamers Member

drag queening looks like fun.

but no, sadly i'm just a butcher

17. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I have several different professions, but no-one is hiring. It's age discrimination.

The way I see it is that I have two options:

1. Start to play online poker and try to win big. Which means enough to live.

2. Go back behind bar and serve the booze to those who have it worse than I.

Neither opinion suits me very well.

18. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie IncGamers Member

I'm glad this thread has picked up some ideas, I wasn't sure if it would.

@Shagsbeard: I've been looking at hospital jobs on the NHS website, there's one right near my GF's school. I'm going to double-check the requirements and apply tomorrow.

@Serdash: Yeah, I was a swing shift manager. I did write a lot of my job roles into my CV, but I guess I didn't flesh it out as much as you suggest. Back to the drawing board.

@Ashmer: Congratulations. I met my GF at work too.

@ioupainmax: I think I recognise a couple of those names from the high street. Do any of the agencies charge you to put you on a list, or is there just a commission when they land you a job?

Thanks to all others who posted. Remember this thread is for everyone, and not just one man's portrayal of life in the gritty urban underbelly of southwest England <cough>.

19. ioupainmax

They shouldn't charge you any fees. They usually make money off the companies they recruit for. You're never really involved in the process. The agencies can differ. For example 2 agencies might recruit for the same company if it needs lots of people. Agency A might list the position as £10 p/h and Agency B might be £8 p/h. Overall the budget from Company X might be £11.50 p/h. In this case Agency B would be taking more of a commission - although you only ever find this out too late or if you get contacted by both agencies for the same position...

Ultimately it's best to apply to companies directly for the best salary. But agencies can help you find temp work until you get a more permanent position. Also some companies only recruit through agencies.

20. squall78

squall78 IncGamers Member

Used to be a loan officer at a mortgage company. Was doing ok and started to get the hang of things then boom 2008 rolls around....

now I'm back in school getting a degree in a job which will pay quite well. If you don't mind loading up on student loans it's a good buffer for unemployment, plus you walk out with a degree. I don't know how England works but you guys have more assistance in terms of financial aid compared to US?