OT: Ubuntu or Mandriva?

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
OT: Ubuntu or Mandriva?

My new laptop has not arrived yet. Dell should deliver at 20th the latest, but it is now 30th and it is the earliest possible.

Anyway, once it arrives, I'm going to install Linux. My option now pretty much limited to either Ubuntu or Mandriva.

The reason to choose these two:

1. well supported, many "ready" to install software for Linux n00b.
2. they don't sell their soul to the devil. I will not touch OpenSuse, even it is the best available, let alone it is not.

But, which one should I choose?

I'm already running Mandriva on my father's laptop. It is easy to use, however the urpmi update is little dodgy. And after the last KDE update (I believe it is beta KDE4), some component of KDE "regularly" crashes. I say "regularly" because it does not bring down the system, and it only happens once every couple of days. I also found some software I could only find instructions for Ubuntu.

Ubuntu seems to be the most popular, but there are also a lot of voices from Linux community strongly against it. I don't know what's wrong with Ubuntu that some many Linux users "hate it" so much. The only "issue" I know of, is Ubuntu does not create SU account by default, but I see it as good thing, and creating SU account is as easy as one line commend. I haven't used it myself, but the live CD works fine, I cannot fault it yet (unless install it on harddrive, it is very hard to compare with Mandriva).

I'm currently more prefer to Ubuntu and I'm not really big fan of KDE either.

Any suggestions/experiences/other distro you would recommend?

silospen

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: OT: Ubuntu or Mandriva?

Linux mint.

www.linuxmint.com

It's a stable Ubuntu base with the new Ubuntu packages on top. It also has a few extras to make life easier. I can't recommend it more.

As it is (essentially) ubuntu with some tweaks, it's well supported due to the huge ubuntu user base. However, due to the tweaks, it's more stable than ubuntu. At the very least, you should try this out.

The SU thing is prompted on install, so that's that issue out of the way :)

Huriel

Diabloii.Net Member

My vote goes to Ubuntu 8.04 :D

Though that linux mint does look pretty cool...

moo-cow

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm happy enough with ubuntu that I'm thinking of moving my D2 files to it from my mac side.

Huriel

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, and Diablo works great with wine. Although not in fullscreen, and I have problems keeping my mouse in the window :p

silospen

Diabloii.Net Member

My vote goes to Ubuntu 8.04 :D

Though that linux mint does look pretty cool...
Linux mint is 8.04 essentially, it's just a more stable old ubuntu base with the new stuff on top! Download it and try it....it kicks vanilla ubuntu's *** so much....

HC Gunther

Diabloii.Net Member

What are using the laptop for? I have a Linux computer that I use for Oracle development that has Oracle 12i loaded on it. I am using Enterprise Linux from Oracle as that is certified with Oracle 12i. So I would guess that correct answer depends on what you applications you are running.

Huriel

Diabloii.Net Member

I think I just may, silos. What kind of extra stuff does it have, apart from stability?

silospen

Diabloii.Net Member

I think I just may, silos. What kind of extra stuff does it have, apart from stability?
To quote someone else:

Ubuntu + mulitmedia codecs + user-friendly tools + software portal + broad range of support et al = Mint
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=156

explains it quite well. Though the article isn't amazing, he says Ubuntu's massive support is what makes it better. Since mint is ubuntu underneath, then mint also has that :D Just teh guy is an idiot.

Basically for me, it's got everything I need on the install without messing around too much. I don't mind messing, I quite enjoy it, but it's the really basic stuff you have to install again andagain every time you update....mint has it included.

The mint tools are quite cool too I guess, depends if you're a GUI man or not.

It also seems to agree with more hardware than Ubuntu.

Just pop in the live CD and give it a go :)

Huriel

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I downloaded the ISO and burned it, and am about to give it a go. However when it finished burning the DVD (With Brasero) and it checked for errors, it found some. Should I re-download/burn it? Or is Brasero just being stupid?

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

HC Gunther said:
What are using the laptop for?
For generic using, like banking, SPF, email, internet, watch movie, D2, etc, the normal stuff.

silospen said:
The mint tools are quite cool too I guess, depends if you're a GUI man or not.

It also seems to agree with more hardware than Ubuntu.

Just pop in the live CD and give it a go
I already downloaded the live CD, and tried it. It seems okay. I haven't get into the mint tools last time, so I cannot say if I will like it. For me (n00b), GUI is preferred, but I can learn commend line (I was a very good at DOS, this just makes me feel old. Nowadays, young people wouldn't know what is DOS or what to do with it).

silospen

Diabloii.Net Member

I shouldn't worry too much about the errors, Huriel. I've never put much faith in any CD checking software.

Huriel

Diabloii.Net Member

So I did install it and I'm loving it (Thanks for the suggestion =D), but one thing;

You might be using a different display manager, such as KDM (KDE Display Manager), CDE login (dtlogin), or XDM. If you wish to use this feature, then your system will need to be configured to use GDM instead.

Pops up when I try to run some applications. How do I configure it to use Gnome?

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

I went Linux Mint. It is the only one that support all my laptop hardware out of box.

Two questions:

1. how to install software package for Ubuntu? I know they should all install fine, but how?
2. how to make the system remember wireless network? I can connect when I go to my sister's place (like now), but I have to enter the AP name and key everytime I login, it doesn't remember the setting.

nebux

Diabloii.Net Member

i use ubuntu 8.04
for installing software click
system | administration | synaptic package manager and there you will have lots of programs to install.
also in software sources you could add more repositories.
if you don't find your desired program there, you just download your program from his main site, click or double clicking it will install all the needed libraries for that. all off course without going in terminal.

2. my laptop always remembers my wep key and wireless connection. network manager should find all available networks

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

For security reason, I setup my own and family/friend wireless network with the following standard:

1. WPA2 only, no WEP
2. MAC access control, only the allowed MAC address may access the AP. Disable router remote admin. And if allowed, only computer with certain IP addresses may enter the router interface.
3. Wireless isolation
4. Hide AP

The "normal" auto search doesn't detect the AP. For windows, or Mandriva linux, I only need to enter the AP name once, and the system remembers the "hidden" AP. The Ubuntu network manager clearly works different. I cannot seem to find the option to let it remember and search for the hidden AP.

The software was not a standard Ubuntu software. It is a simple card game pack "Xpat2". I found it under Mint install "ATP" tab. It was downloaded and reportedly installed. I can see it under package manager (shows installed), however, there is nowhere I can see it from the menu and doesn't know how to start it manually. It is a "standard" software package for Mandriva.