OT: Torchlight Frontiers changing direction, goint to release as Torchlight 3

mrpinsky

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi all, very surprised to hear that Torchlight Frontiers is changing direction rather drastically, and will be released as more traditional box release under the name Torchlight 3. There is no more mention of an MMO, only multiplayer. The new concept of "horizontal progression" is apparently gone. And they won't work with Arc anymore, it will be back on Steam.

There is a video in which Max Schaefer announces this. But I can't reach it right now, the server seems down.

What do you guys make of this?

Edit: Link to PC Gamer article https://www.pcgamer.com/torchlight-frontiers-is-now-torchlight-3-will-release-on-steam/

Edit2: https://www.torchlight3.com/en/news-article/11350673

Last edited:

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
I think it is great news. I played in the first couple Alphas but then lost interest. I was never much for MMO's and I always liked the franchise. So this is good news to me.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
Been keeping an eye on it loosely, the MMO never grabbed me much. Max is a pretty cool guy from what I can tell, I hope the game pans out well for this group Diablo veterans. It is weird though, is the MMO actually going to be in the game or were they just jebaiting Blizzard with it? D4 looks like an estranged monster that isn't an MMO but has MMO elements like they don't know what direction to take with it.

Last edited:

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
It apparently has the ability to match up with others, similar to matching up in D2 or D3. I also read that you can interact with others while in towns.

mrpinsky

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a little funny (or tragic?) that they never seem to get the MMO done. As is well known, Max Schaefer and the others wanted to go the MMO route already with their original vision of D3 (as a Blizzard North project), but we all know that didn't happen. Then at Runic they also aimed for an MMO, and Torchlight 1 was supposed to be a sort of first step and foundation for the studio that would later be followed by a Torchlight MMO. Instead, they made TL2 and after that Hob and then the studio closed down. After Runic, they started anew at Echtra with the goal of an MMO, but once again it didn't happen.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
But what is the attraction to making an MMO, all people do is run off to some apparent lair where they drop their avatars and chat. The once in a while they try their luck on some OP dungeon and get wiped out. It's has a kind of turn based mentality to it if anyone here played desktop DND might remember. How is that attractive to dev's that plan to make ARPG's? It seems like an oxymoron to me. If you make it isometric the players will treat it like a shoot'em up which would hammer the servers and create a lot of performance spikes and dips depending on the time of day and day of week. I would really like these dev's to open up and explain what they are trying to achieve.