Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT Top-selling Computer Games

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by baalos, Mar 8, 2004.

1. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

OT Top-selling Computer Games

According to the New York TImes Aliminac, the top 10 selling games were:

1. The Sims Vacation
    2. The Sims Unleashed
    3 Warcraft III Reign of Chaos
    4. Medal of Honor Alied Assualt
    5. The Sims
    6. The Sims Hot Date
    7. The Sims Delux
    8. Zoo Tycone
    9, Harry Potter and the Soreror's Stone
    10, Roller Coaster Tyoon 2

Is it not strange to you the Roller Coaster is on the list but diabloo 2 isnt?

2. IamTheTest

IamTheTest IncGamers Member

I hate to say it but anything with SIM in it isnt actually a game. Games have an end, they can be beaten. SIM games have no end ergo they arent games. Maybe D2X v1.11 will be in SIMs format...

WW Barb XXX gets a job as a security guard. PAY: $500 a week.

hehe

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

The top lists always look like that...
    Personally I find it strange that WC3 is up there, but Frozen Throne isn't -.-

4. det

det IncGamers Member

In Germany, some of the worst game imaginable (badly executed freeway chase games) are on the top of the list, because they sell for only 20 Euro and are placed near the counter in supermarkets.

I don't really trust any list that I have not forged myself :lol:

5. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

go go det... what's YOUR top 10 selling games list?!?! :D

6. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

1. Tribes. If you haven't played this game, leave.
    2. Half life. Because I love it....Not for counter strike.
    3.Quake 2. BUY IT. It's like 4 bucks now.
    4.Starcraft
    5. Warcraft 2. OHMYGOOSE OGRE RUSH!!111

The rest of my games I have leased for the past couple of years..so I can't really tell ya.

7. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Perhaps Jayson Blair was the article author. :lol:

I don't think the Fallout or Civilization games would be on the lists, since they were slow starters that built a cult-like following, rather than ones everybody & dog ran out to buy. Likewise, Bard's Tale, Privateer, and Wing Commander may have sold a lot of units but their dollar value was probably lower than those mentioned.

I do find it strange that Starcraft wasn't mentioned...

8. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

I always thought Q2 was a *great* single player game... the first time I got to the part where the aliens are experimenting on the marines, and they're all mumbling things like, "Kill me, it hurts!" I had nightmares... and how about those machines that ground the marines into bloody hamburger... sick... Wish it would run on my modern 'puter, but for some reason, it won't...

9. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Technically it can be had for free now. Quake and Quake2 were graciously released by John Carmack and the fine folks at id software under the GPL (Gnu Public License). Although the source code is guaranteed freely available I am sure there are binaries available too. Now there is a company that loves its customers.

Quake easily is my favorite game of all time. So much hot-fraggin love!

**Quake2 was designed for older systems, I remember playing it on my 166 :D. However you can tweak it so it performs well on modern boxes, just search for quake 2 tweaks, or something similar on google. I had a guide bookmarked, but it seems to have disappeared.

10. det

det IncGamers Member

What was that Star Wars game that single handed helped CD Roms drives to become established? Wing Commander? The Larry Laffer Series? Kings Quest? Surely they must have sold bucket loads.

And about Quake? Couldn't agree more. Fantastic..and better when 3DFX was available. Funnily I don't like 3 D shooters anymore..but Quake is still on my hard drive..1, 2 and 3...And the action figures are on my shelf..

..hm..might as well play some... :lol:

11. NightShade

Reaver bots Pwn joo.

12. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

I remember reaper bots, was there a reaver too? This is going back a few years for me.

Funny bot story...

I had a quake server set up in residence at university and someone from the next residence up joined and got smoked by the bots. He then threw the traditional temper tantrum. I explained to him we had bots when there weren't very many players so we could have a nice carnage-fest, one he was welcome to take part in. However since it was my server I decided whether we had bots going or not. In his eyes this just wasn't acceptable so of course being a typical male idiot he threatened to kick my posterior among other things, some of which apparently involved any animals I kept as pets. I was also "very lucky he couldn't find me". Rough paraphrase due to the number of expletives he used and the downright vile nature of his rant. At which point I said he could feel free. I am not a violent man but since he seemed so adamant on doing such I thought I should oblige. He had no idea who the server belonged to, but I knew exactly who he was because a friend across the hall who was on the server at the time popped in and mentioned it . I also knew he was an arse to a lot of nice people for no particular reason, he was just an average guy with a real nasty streak. Of course that didn't factor into what I did, not in the slightest.;) I proceeded to walk down the hall and knocked on his door. The look on his face when he opened the door and clued in that it was my server was priceless as he stammered, " uuhhh I meant at quake...." I walked away chuckling and even let the guy continue to play on the server after he apologized. The whole incident kept my friends and I in stitches for weeks, but then again we didn't go into hysterics or threaten people when someone let us play on their server and we didn't like how it was setup. :D

To top the whole story off the guy was booted out of school a few months later because he cut too much class. Why was he missing so much class? Because he spent too much time playing quake. ;)

13. NightShade

And thus revenge was enjoyed by all.

14. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Except me because I wasn't there to throw pies in his face.

15. NightShade

True....but atleast the pie was enjoyed by all.