Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Top five Favorite Books/Authors

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PinkeyandtheBrain, Mar 25, 2005.

1. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

OT: Top five Favorite Books/Authors

My top five favorite books are (its hard to choose) but i will go with Sabriel, By Garth Nix(he is awesome writes great stuff)
    Also Jumper By Steven Gould(its really good)
    I really like Diana Wynne Jones's stuff (Archers Goon Crestomanci ect)
    I Just fount these two books By a author that i had never heard of; The Last Dragonlord and Dragon and Phoenix.
    Finally i really like Barbara Hamblys Books (Darwath Series Ect)
    Oh what the hell i will throw in another one, The Summer Country By James A. Hetley.
    I have more favorites but if i put them all on the boards...I am afraid that they would crash(the attack of the squid)
    What are your favorites I guess that you could put books that you did not like but i would prefer y'all not do that cause this is a happy thread :D
    /multitasks (plays d2 while reading and listening to the radio)

2. deathsguard666

deathsguard666 IncGamers Member

don't really have five but my favorite is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (R.I.P) really a good book

3. Condor

Condor IncGamers Member

I think I can remember 2 books I have read;

Of Mice and Men (Was in jail and it was the only book in the cell)
    The Glitterdome (Was in jail a few years later, only book in the cell)

I don't do much 'book' reading. I suppose if I wouldn't have been tamed down by a good woman, I might have read more.

However, to round off with 5, here are 3 stories I liked;

Teenage Hitchikers In Shorts
    My Summer With The Neigbor Next Door
    Are Those Your Keys, Or Are You Happy To See Me?

Condor

4. Blascid

Blascid IncGamers Member

I don't read a lot, but what I do read is usually good..So I came up with the top three...

Alchemist, The (Paulo Coelho)

Interview with the Vampire (Anne Rice)

What would Buffy do? (Jana Riess)

5. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Had to read the Alchemist for english this year, along with a bunch of other books(metamorphosis, Sophocles(the Oedipus stuff) Sidhartha, The Stranger. See a vein?)(she also teaches Phychology(sp))

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I have read almost all books translated into my native language from these authors:

David Gemmel (fantasy)
    Andrzej Sapkowski (fantasy)
    Dick Francis (krimi)
    Alexander Dumas (history)
    Henryk Sienkiewicz (history)

7. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

The Lord Of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - My favourite for almost 20 years now. I read it 14 times till now and found new facets each time.

Steven Erikson's brilliant fantasy epos starting with Gardens Of The Moon - the best modern fantasy stuff I know (comes even close to Tolkien ;))

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams (my comment on the books is just "42" *hehe*)

various Novels about Discworld by Terry Pratchett (very amusing, I keep LMAO when I read about Rincewind or the other "heroes" of the discworld)

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams (not as well narrated as Steven Erikson's books, but a nice fantasy story over all in good atmosphere)

I read quite a bit and I am mainly hooked to the fantasy and science fiction genre, as you can see.

But I also read other books which are very good too. Last summer I read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and several novels by Agatha Christie

Well I am exceeding 5 and so I must stop ;)

8. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

I really hate the da vinci code. I haven't read it, but it's the book that people read and then try to sound educated, even though they it's the only book they've read in the past 5 years.

I recently read "high society" by Ben Elton. I love all of his books and this one was no exception. He was one of the writers for "black adder" and seems to feature in the credits of every british comedy of the 90's.

9. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Cool thread, I'm thrilled to see what all those nerds read in their spare time :p

My top five would be (not nescessarilly in this order);

1 Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
    2 Paravion, Hafid Bouzza
    3 Drei Kameraden, Erich Maria Remarque
    4 Utopia, Thomas More
    5 Foundation trilogy, Asimov (c'mon, it's one book)

10. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Same goes for Harry Potter. And the host of people who've read Lord of the rings- but they'll have to be pardonned for it's a good cycle ^^

11. isengart

I think it is a mistake to blame the book for this. I read it as what it was - a good thriller. Not better than Agathy Christie but differently and enthralling. I can't even remember all the "facts" out of it and I am generally not that much interested in painting.
    So don't worry, I won't brag with this book, I just read it and mentioned it to show that I am not solely hooked on fantasy and science fiction.

12. isengart

if I understand that right, you hate books for being read much. - what about all those bible readers out there??
    I understand an attitude to get off and even oppose the mainstream but to be able to do this you have to know the mainstream, don't you? ;)

13. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

That's another issue all together. Can you take an OT thread OT?

14. isengart

of course ;) but it has happened before my posting :D

15. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

1. A Little Too Much Is Enough by Kathleen Tyau.
    2. Veronica by Nicholas Christopher
    3. Makai by Kathleen Tyau
    4. Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami
    5. Life of Pi by Yann Martel

All of my favorites have a dash of magical reality to them, since I too am always looking for a new way to look at ordinary life.

16. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Don't get me started on that, it'd screw the server load up rather badly ;)

Let's say I don't like adults reading nothing but children's books.

17. Horobi

Horobi IncGamers Member

1. Laws of Magic (or is it "of the wizard"?) ; Terry Goodkind ( don't know if the title is translated correct)
    2. The Da vinci Code; Dan Brown
    3. Harry Potter ; J.K. Rowling
    4. MeesterMagiër ( MasterMagician ); M.J. Maryson (probably never translated to english)
    5. All titles ; Agatha Cristie

18. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

>> 1. Laws of Magic (or is it "of the wizard"?) ; Terry Goodkind ( don't know if the title is translated correct)

That would be my favorite series/author. And the series is called Sword of Truth in America, the first book being Wizard's First Rule.

I really love the character development.. Goodkind has managed to create some of the strongest attachment between me and the characters that I have ever experienced. When you're personally affected by the happenings of a book.. that makes for a damn good story!!

I also think he presents some very interesting ideas. Especially in the 6th book... Some of those ideas are rather contrary to a lot of modern religious/political thinking (IMO anyway). It's there if you look close enough. Or maybe I am just imagining things ;)

19. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

The X book about the Magical kingdom Deverry - Kathrine Kerr. I am unsure if that is the real title in english. (11)
    All books by authername Robin Hobb. i love reading tales in first person (9) :clap:
    The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan. FAR better than LotR IMO. Except the last books, they are a little too strait. (10, coming more)
    The Dark Materia - Philip Pullman. Unsure if thats the real title in enlish. (3)
    Hier to the Empire, Dark Forces Ricing, The Last Command - Timmothy Zhan. Should be made "real" StarWars-episodes. So good.

Thats five, but I have to add:
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorns - Tad Williams, also really good. (unsure of the english count, in swedish they are 14 I think)
    Tales of the Malazan book of the Fallen - Stephen Erikson. Thats the whole series name that includes Gardens of the Moon. Reading the third book now. (5 I think)
    The Runelords - David Farland. So good. And SO horrible world.

All of these titles are series, so it would be like 50 books if you would read them. :D
    They are also fantasy. And Superior to LotR.

20. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. Dune (Frank Herbert): This book is the best Science fiction book ever!!
    2. American Pshyco (Easton Bret Ellis): So funny you'll wet yourself
    3. Everville (Clive Barker): Very weird and very well writen.

Can't really think of other books right now, but these are all awesome...I think that the Da Vinci Code is so totally overhyped it makes my head hurt...The story itself is just a lame b-moviesque thriller with zero suspension...wow another miracolous escape, another hostage taken:(..The background info on the holy grail and such is fascinating but the rest:(