OT: the word is 'have' people, not 'of'

HBeachBabe

Diabloii.Net Member
OT: the word is 'have' people, not 'of'

would of? could of? should of? :rant:

would've could've should've, contractions for would have could have should have. no 'of' any where to be found there.

sorry just a pet peeve of mine. it saddens me to see the English language abused so.

Kaysaar

Diabloii.Net Member
I think it's more people saying "could 'av", or "could'ov"

But yeah, I understand you pain.

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
STFU, n00b. i wud uv riten this better but i didn hav teh tiem!

That is to say, I completely agree with you, HBB. You show 'em who's boss!

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
There was a forum I went to for the Barenaked Ladies (a BAND people) for a while (before I listened myself sick of them, they may make a "comeback" in my mind but I'm not holding my breath) where everybody nitpicked everybody else's spelling and grammar. Fun, except for the fact that guys are/were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1, and usually the females would get all irritated when some "jerkish, ignorant male*" would correct them. Ahh, nostalgia. I hated that place.

*(no, I was never called that. But I know Cal was always thinking it...)

EDIT: Uber OT:Oh, man. I just made my 486th post a couple minutes ago. On that forum this would make me eligible for my own title (I could change from member or whatever to any subscript for my name I wanted, like: "Annoying Grammar Ninja" or some such). Sorry about the worst hijack in the history of single person, single player forum spam...And before you ask again, I really did hate that place, things so random just get stuck in your head though...

shermo

Diabloii.Net Member
I believe it's "anywhere" in that context, not "any where"

English is a constantly evolving entity. Nobody says, "thee", "thou" etc these days.

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member
shermo said:
English is a constantly evolving entity. Nobody says, "thee", "thou" etc these days.
Aye...in new and hilariously terrifying ways.

I believe I saw someone refer to Ik's armor as "unfoundable" in a recent post.

Good gravy. The damage instant messenger has wrought...

ckb

Diabloii.Net Member
Steven Q Urkel said:
Me fail english??? Thats unpossible!!!!
As I was reading this thread, Ralph Wiggam came to mind. I was just about to post that, but luckily Jaleel White beat me to it.

ckb

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
HBeachBabe said:
would of? could of? should of? :rant:

would've could've should've, contractions for would have could have should have. no 'of' any where to be found there.

sorry just a pet peeve of mine. it saddens me to see the English language abused so.
I tried to read this post but the poster's failure to capitalize any of the sentences was just too painful on the eyes. Come on people, is the space bar so goddamn hard to find?

"The irony is strong in this one." --Darth Grammar

spiral55

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with you entirely. That bothers me almost, but not quite, as much as the use of "your" when "you're" is intended. That isn't that evolution of language, it's just laziness. Those few extra keystrokes won't kill you, people.

*looks meaningfully at fbob*

*hopes like hell tenaka was joking*

I hate to be a grammar cop, but there (not "they're" or "their" in this instance, and to serve as another example) are a select few really glaring cases that set my teeth on edge.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
spiral55 said:
I hate to be a grammar cop, but there (not "they're" or "their" in this instance, and to serve as another example) are a select few really glaring cases that set my teeth on edge.
Thank's for setting us loosers straight.