Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: The NBA

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tarr, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

OT: The NBA

Not sure if there's any basketball fans here, but there's breaking news that an NHL style lockout has been averted and a new CBA is in place. The official announcement will be tonight before Game 6 of the Finals and details aren't widely known yet, except for there is now an age limit of 19 to be eligible for the draft.

2. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

Good news indeed! They were very smart to avoid a lockout. Makes the NHL look even worse.

Cheers K

3. chickenhed

chickenhed IncGamers Member

hah, well good to know. and yes, it makes the nhl look even worse. sad. pathetic. rediculous. and sad.

4. Seishinkan

Seishinkan IncGamers Member

I agree with all of the sentiments here.

5. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I believe it was Time Legler from ESPN who brought up a good point about a possible flaw in the new CBA. He said that the risk the the NBA is running with this is that High School Phenoms may decide to take a year off instead of going to University, or playing professionally in Europe. I tend to agree. I think that the age should have been 20, so that it may have helped encourage some of these players to go to college, so they at least have half a chance at learning a trade should their NBA careers not work out as planned.

6. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I just listened a little bit when driving off to work. I have ESPN radio and was listening to Max Kellerman fill in for Dan Patrick and he was talking about some interesting stuff.

In any case, the most interesting point of all this I found was that they seemed to think that the NBA players gave up too much or conceded too much or weren't in good enough position to bargain (wasn't really paying attention) - because - they didn't save enough money or weren't willing to endure the probable financial pain in a lockout situation. This was intimated not only by the media but mainly by agents and the like, people who are intimately involved with the money issue in the NBA.

Anyways, I agree that this will, in the end, be so much better for the NBA because they couldn't afford a lockout. We'll see how the NHL fares.

7. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

The thing about the age cap, is it was something that the league wanted that the players union would easily agree to, since less draft phenoms equates to more job security for veterans. It's a no brainer that they'd come to an agreement on that, I'm surprised that it was only 19 instead of 20, if anything.

The problem I see is that since it's only 19, there will be plenty of prep stars (maybe not plenty, but certainly some) that can still make the jump from high school to the NBA. I understand it helped bridge some gaps and close the agreement thus avoiding the lockout, which is good, but the age limit itself I don't think is going to accomplish much. Is the league saying it wants less LeBrons, Kobes and MacGradys?

8. skoeppl

skoeppl IncGamers Member

They say that only one player that has recently come out of high school to enter the draft was 19 at the time. Its pretty rare that a recent high school graduate is 19 by the end of June. I disagree with Legler, why would you take a year off from ball when you could play and increase your stock for the draft? Its not like its hard for a high school star to get into a college, and they stand to gain alot (specially with the under the-table-handouts that go on). Then again, I tend to disagree with Legler alot, cuz he seems to like to bash on the Pistons...

9. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

I agree somewhat, but the problem is if Wikked Prepstar is ineligble for the draft, but is aware that without the age limit he's a consensus top five pick, it's more likely that he'd either hurt his stock, or worse yet, sustain a major injury, than increase his stock in college.