Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Stupid mistakes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

OT: Stupid mistakes

After reading this, I couldn't resist asking the question "what's the stupidist thing you have done"? In RL or D2, doesn't matter.

Oh and can we keep this light-hearted so we can all have good laugh at each other rather than cruel - I do not want to read about you setting fire to next doors' cat.

(Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Night info info here but in short 5th November every year in Britain we let off fireworks and have bonfires to celebrate trying to blow up Parliament.)

Myself? Well, I measured up a bathroom for a re-design and I thought we could get 1000mm shower tray into the current space or take out a bit of studding for 1200mm. The fitter checked it all out and my re-design was fine except that wall was a chimney and would be an awful lot of work to reduce, so he told me to order the 1000mm. Yes, you guess, I forgot and ordered the 1200mm one. :embarassed: First I heard about it was went I went on site to discover a slightly confused customer "I thought we need the smaller one?" Engage sales cover to customer and grab fitter on the quiet. He knew the shower enclosure was special order so had cut the chimney rather than wait three weeks for a replacement. Major kudos to him. :flowers:

2. Hoop76

Hoop76 Diabloii.Net Member

Does getting married count? lol

3. YoungDbl

YoungDbl Diabloii.Net Member

Stupid thing ive done. Let me check my list for a good one lol. Well I would have to say one of the worst was putting soap ( bubble bath ) in a hand dryer. Turning the blower upwards. Inserting a drop of water or two. Then hitting the button and walking away. This was in 7th grade at school mind you. Then returning a few minutes later to see the bathroom one giant bubbly room! To bad they seen me on camera running out of the bathroom hehe. Me and my buddy got suspended 5 days and each had to pay about 250$ a piece.

4. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Sigh, creativity is not appreciated these days...

5. Deaddave

Deaddave Diabloii.Net Member

hmm where to start i think il just list a few for now and add more latter (yes iv dont alot of stupid stuff)
    *warning dont try this at home* *no realy dont*
    1) held a burning end of match in my hand causing me to get a massive blister.

2) now as some of you know i do alot of parkor (free running in english) and i was getting pretty dam full of myself (i was doin realy well and i was with the girl i fancyed....) and my 1 of my mates said to me why not try jumping off over that fence and down the small(read: very big) drop so like i said i was full of myself so i said **** it why not. ran cleared the compltly cleared the fence and started to get ready to land, (when doing parkor you normaly do a roll after a large drop to make the landing hurt less) but when i laned i land strait on my feet no role and badly hurt my right leg so i was limping now nateraly i pretened it didnt hurt and hid the fact it was hurting like hell. me mate then says *that was so kool let me try and get it on film (he can record vids on his phone) now between me and my mates this basicly tranlates as 'that must have hurt like hell bet you wont do it again' but me being me and never 1 to back down guess what i did:rolleyes: yep i did it again making sure i landed on my left leg first. that time i managed to get a bit of a better landing but it still hrt like hell (again pretended i was fine)

the result of this was walking with a very bad limp for 2 weeks lol

hmm that will do for now il probly add more of my stupidity later

6. Dudzy

Dudzy Diabloii.Net Member

I got a pretty good one from a few years back... I was around 14-15 and my cousin was around 16 and we decided we were going to built a bridge across a stream on his dads property. (the stream was the Susquehanna, i live near the start of it). The main reason we did it was to get our bikes back across to the boneydumps faster where we used to ride our bikes and goof off. It was built on a tree that had fallen across the river and kind of grew out of the bank. Went fine for awhile but we got this real bad storm one night and the water level rose up pretty high and it turns out alot of junk comes down the river so it became more of a dam. We never said anything to our parents but i guess the guy who owns the land on the otherside reported it to the police and we got traced back to it. They basically said to clean it up or they would fine us for it. So we ended up cleaning a stream out for a week that was caused by a bridge that was put on a tree in a day. I still think that it would of happened anyways from the tree but i guess it was the way things turned out.

I find it pretty funny, but it was pretty awful cleaning that thing out. You would not believe what comes down that stream. :laughing:

7. water_moon

water_moon Diabloii.Net Member

The first time I made molasses puffs (aka sponge candy, an ariy version of brittles) I wanted to have a special cover instead of just dipping it in melted chocolate when it was done. Now this is basiclly a candy where you heat the sugar with vinegar instead of water and add baking soda so that it poofs up and tastes like hardy candy but is "fluffy".

I figured based on the volume of the sugar syrup if it doubled it shouldn't make more than 6 muffin cups worth. So I preperd 6 cups by greasing them and lining them with my coating (I didn't want to do too many b/c then it'd be a pain to clean up.) Yeah. Add a table spoon of baking soda to a table spoon of vinegar sometime and see if you get 2 table spoons worth of foam. (you get about 10 times, not 2 times the orignal amount.)

So there I was with an over flowing pot of sugar syrup making a mad sticky mess, a mom fussing about said mess and candy that only about 1/3rd of what I made turned out well, the other part had lost too much of it's air by the time I finished "preping"

(ps: my actual stupid mistake is thinking that this was funny :rolleyes: )

8. Gabriel74

Gabriel74 Diabloii.Net Member

I'll put in a D2 one.

MFO quite a while back, running Meph. Kill him, see a unique Phase Blade, woohoo. Can't remember what distracted me, young daughter, microwave, phone, something, so I hit esc to make sure nothing will come kill me. Well, it took longer than I thought, so when I sat back down I immediately went back into MF mode and quickly clicked Save and Exit.

I like to think it was a lightsabre, instead of an Azurewrath.

9. mwints

mwints Diabloii.Net Member

10. Flayed One

Flayed One Diabloii.Net Member

:laugh: niece HotO mate! :laugh:

sorry, mwints but I couldn't refrain...:wink2:

11. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce Diabloii.Net Member

I was in grade 5 or 6, so this would have been maybe 13-14 years ago?

Anyway, I got sent to the office at school to pick up a stapler, because I guess our classroom needed one and didn't have one.

As I was walking back towards the classroom with the stapler I began to wondered what would happen if I stapled myself. Apparently it was no obvious to me what would happen so, you guessed it! I stapled my thumb! And to my surprise the staple stuck quite far into my skin and hurt a bunch! It still emberasses me to this day. Seriously?!? Who doesn't realize what would happen if they stapled themselves? I must have been on paintchip's or something.

-hps

12. Fists of Legend

Fists of Legend Diabloii.Net Member

Back when I was 13 it was a hot summer day and two friends and I decided paddle my one friends duck boat out into the lake and go swimming. Since we where going swimming we didn't even think about brining any PFD's. Well between diving out of the boat, which pushed it farther out into the lake, and the wind we ended up about 3/4 of a mile off of shore. Not really a big deal since the boat floats, at least until you swamp it and completely fill it with water. So now we are way out from shore, with a boat that sinks every time you step into it, and no PFD's. It took about 2 hours to swim and drag the boat back into shore. We where all quite tired by the time we got back to shore.

13. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

@ Hp_Sauce i have also done that in my younger days about 10 years ago

Seemed like a cool idea at the time :rolleyes: :grin:

14. YoungDbl

YoungDbl Diabloii.Net Member

One late summer nite a few years ago me and a friend thought it would be cool to egg cars that were driving by and try to duck out by running through yards and stuff. Ok car is aproaching , egg is luanches , .... sirens go off. Ok cop car not that big of a deal we can outrun it. Start to sprint off. My buddy goes one way I turn into a yard and hide out behind there garage. After about 20 minutes I get up to walk away back to his house. I walk past the side of this persons yard to find that it was a cops house. Seen the cop car sitting in the driveway and right as I turned I heard those dreaded words.. "Stop right there". Its one thing to run from a car, but you dont run from a cop on foot.

Disclaimer: Not in proper state of mind so cant blame me!!

15. barren

barren Diabloii.Net Member

I finished a math test today and managed to make the most rediculous mistake on the easiest question on the test. I was writing a long *** proof that essentially was if a and b then c, however for some astoundingly stupid reason I put b as false even though I proved it as true with all the work next to it and implied that since b was true thus C. Hopefully the corrector will be gentle, still can't believe I wrote false instead of true when all the work I did implied otherwise.

Uh, well my embarrassing story really sucks, but it's been nagging me all day :laugh: Other than that question I did great on the test though :grin:

16. LacertaCK

LacertaCK Diabloii.Net Member

Ok, that had me just about falling off my chair, laughing.

Remember the mat that you could get with the original 8 bit Nintendo? For the track and field games. When I was about 12, and my little sister was about 6, we were playing on this at my cousins, and my little sister really wanted to win, so I was picking her up and helping her "jump". I leaned just a bit too far forward to pick her up, right as she jumped. BAM! Blood gushing everywhere, and I just about knocked a couple of teeth out. Not smart!

17. somethingsin

somethingsin Diabloii.Net Member

related to that, I managed to integrate e^3x over x and come out with 3 e^3x on my math test

:brainiac:

18. neumein

neumein Diabloii.Net Member

My 'Way OT: Social Intercourse' thread I started a while back. Enough said.

Or the other one (of many)

I was 13, it was the first time that my parents left me at home by myself for a decent period of time. If memory serves me correctly, they went out for dinner. Anyways, there was nothing good on TV, Counter-Strike was lagging horribly, and I was bored as a result. I went outside and started making flamethrowers with deoderant cans and matches. Every 13 year old dude has done this. I was having some good fun, until I realised that one of the nozzles had caught fire. I yelled out, "Holy ****", threw the can around the corner of the house, and hit the dirt. *loud boom.*

I was fine, but the can had landed in mums Azalias (her favourite flowers, I think I spelled it wrong). Needless to say, her flowers were not happy, and neither was mum. Ouch!

19. waflob

waflob Diabloii.Net Member

Loved the bubbly hand dryer :)
    What was the fine for ? I don't really see that anything got damaged.

Also, for sheer stupidity, don't forget to check out the annual Darwin awards. Some things there are so daft, it's difficult to believe.

One story I can add to this list ...
    During my student days, there was a time when I was living in a block of student bedsit type things. Anyway, one evening, I decided to light some candles. Actually, quite a few candles, all together on a glass dish, which was on a wooden table. Things were going fine until the paper around the candles started to burn as well, acting like a wick as well. This changed the situation somewhat. Instead of many small flames, I had something approaching the Wall of Fire spell. Suddenly, the glass dish cracked and broke, the candles fell over, spreading burning wax on the wooden table. In about 2 seconds, the room was filled with smoke. I managed to get the fire out and opened the window, but the smoke wasn't really clearing. I then opened the door to get a bit of air going through the room. It did clear the smoke, but into the hallway and not out of the window. About 5 seconds later, the hallway was filled with other students wanting to know if there was a fire. It was really embarrassing to have to explain what had happened.

Thinking about it now, it could have ended up much worse, so I suppose I was lucky getting the fire out quickly.

DelBoy

20. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot Diabloii.Net Member

RL: this topic has already come up before.

I've also borrowed my friends truck to buy a $800 leather sofa - neglecting to measure the doors on the house. Of course, my friend needed his truck back immediately, so I had the nicest porch-sofa in the whole neighbourhood for about a week. :rolleyes:

Finally, I've managed to set myself on fire (and almost stab myself at the same time, since I was holding a kitchen knife when I realized I was on fire) and almost electrocute myself (twice, in one sitting!!!!).

<---- these are all sober incidents, btw. Just imagine what I'm like with a few drinks in me, or, as one of my old GF's used to say to me all the time: You put a** in class, buddy! :thumbsup:

In D2, I suspect it was leveling my first sorc to 89 before I realized that you can actually hold the mouse-button down and teleport multiple times. :duh: