Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Starcraft Ghost

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by forbidenorc, Oct 13, 2006.

1. forbidenorc

forbidenorc IncGamers Member

OT: Starcraft Ghost

Just found out that its cancelled. Also when u go to blizz.com its not in under development anymore so it must be true.Just wanted to know if u guys had any idea why? Maybe they got all there staff to work on diablo 3(ya right!).

2. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Initially, Starcraft Ghost was not developed by Blizzard directly. It got delayed so much and eventually the next-gen consoles came out. Then I think Swingin' Ape bought the studio over and tried to convert it to the next-gen consoles, which took almost another year. Then Blizzard bought Swingin's Ape and showed some progress in Ghost in 2005 E3. But I guess the project had some serious problems and Blizzard finally gave up. We sure hope that the "refocused" resources are on D3 now, but nobody outside will know I guess.

3. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I saw some horrible statistics once that showed how many wasted man-hours of great games there were to titles that got stopped by the publishing company pulling the funds!

If I can find that site again (really in depth look at every famous title, games company and year) I will post up a link here. I just can't remember the addy right now! :(

4. nex

nex IncGamers Member

They exepected to get some easy money out of SC franchise with silly tomb raider clone (not 100% correct, but close enough). But while they were counting money that came from WoW... zombies? no... addicts? no... ah, yes, WoW players, they forgot that someone has to control these guys that were supposed to make Ghost (programers are lazy... if you don't have them on short leash you will never see final product). So, there we are, with few years and some dollars spent but without game! Finally someone in Blizz decided that it's not even worth bothering with it anymore and refocused their resources on money counting... which is wise decision because WoW matrix is stronger every day and there's no Neo (not that there would be any use of him anyway).

Damn, that's alot of rambling. I hope at least someone got what I tried to say :smiley:

5. Wraithan

Wraithan IncGamers Member

I take offence to that programmers are lazy.

Really programmers want to release a product when it is ready. Managers want to release it at a certain time regardless. Which forces programers into bad habbits for the last chunk. I know I am rarely completely pleased with a piece of software I write, and almost always want to go through atleast 1 more iteration with the software. Managers would rather the product got released than trust the programers when they say it isn't ready since they are getting grief from people higher up than them. Been there, done that. Learn what you are talking about before you say insulting things like that.

EDIT: I should say, lazy in that sort of way. Yes programmers are lazy, we learn to program to make things easier on us when using computers. Though most programmers I have met that do it professionally actually give a damn about the end product when higher up care only about the $$.

6. nex

nex IncGamers Member

You shouldn't. I guess I didn't make it obvious, but that whole piece of text tried to be funny. Not serious, not insulting. Sorry. I do know how these things work, my friend is working as programmer and I have heard alot of horror stories how managers pushed unfinished product on market.

7. Wraithan

Ah I see, I am sorry I jumped like that... I saw it as an insult to people in my trade and kinda went a little anger blind.

You have no idea how bad pushy managers are for the world of computers. See "Windows" for a good example.

8. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

So we should verbally spank programming dudes to get a Wraithan sighting, got to remember that ;)

9. Wraithan

Ack!!! I have been sighted.... *Runs away*

10. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Wow that sucks. I really wanted to play it... back in 2003? 2002? 2001? 2000?

st00pid sl4ck3rs :(

11. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

@ Wraithan "Programmers are lazy". That quote is from a friend of mine who is a programmer. When he said it to me a few years ago, I hoped he was being ironic.

It's amazing really, that any game is released. Think of the time for the concept to be born, the details to be fleshed out, the individual facets to be programmed. Then there is getting the whole thing to gel, bug fixing, testing of gameplay so it isn't too hard or too easy, promotion, production and publicity before release. Will it be slated as 'too samey', is it 'too wacky', will it be slated for being 'unPC'? And all the while, hoping the technology for which you are developing doesn't become obsolete. Scary.

12. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

Why is the presumption that the released manpower is working on D3? If anything, I would think (and secretly) hope that they're still working on something for the StarCraft universe. I still want to see Raynor kill Kerrigan!

13. Wraithan

We are lazy in a sence... Anything repetitive that I can make a program to do for me... I make a program. But, when it comes to the actual coding and development of programs/software most of us it is our passion.

Just some input from a nerd.