Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Serra vs. St Pierre (UFC)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gambitsreturn, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

OT: Serra vs. St Pierre (UFC)

UFC 83 is about to start and I was wondering if the SP forum is pulling for Matt Serra or George St Pierre?

I think I'm going to pull for Serra simply because I like his attitude. He knows St Pierre is the better fighter but he isn't scared at all...I like that.

I still like St Pierre and admire his ninja skills.

I'm also pulling for Rich Franklin, he is one of my favorite fighters.

Lets hear what y'all think.

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: OT: Serra vs. St Pierre (UFC)

GSP wins this time for sure. Too bad I won't get to watch it. >_>

3. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I like both fighters ... but I think that GSP will be too much for Serra ... the only x-factor i'm wondering about is what effect Bell Center will have on GSP, if any at all. It's a pressure cooker, but if GSP has his head in the right place it won't matter.

If GSP wins watch the whole place blow up. I'm following the play by play on various sites. If you want to read and read and read about this stuff then Sherdog is the place to be for all things MMA and nuthugging.

4. bill_n_opus

Knees to the body ... ouch for Serra. Great event at the Bell Centre. The Canadian fans were very knowledgeable and classy.

5. allenive

allenive IncGamers Member

Good win for GSP, his confidence needed that, he'll hold the welterweight title for a long time, possibly get bored and go fight Anderson Silva which would be an awesome match up. The best fight was definitely the Goulet fight though, he definitely earned that victory, that was for sure.

6. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

I missed it. Oh well, it's on my list of things to download. Thanks for ruining it. :[ [/joke]

7. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

Ouch indeed...those knees had to result in some broken ribs. I think your right allen, that GSP will hold the belt for awhile. I cant think of anybody who can beat him right now. I think the best win was Rich Franklins win. I dont know how he managed to not tear the crap out of his arm in that first round arm bar? I thought it was over but wow... he must have ball bearings in place of joints...crazy.

8. roninDOG

roninDOG IncGamers Member

Its tough to get a submission in round 1 on a guy like Franklin, who kept his head well and worked to maneuver out of that arm bar. So soon in the fight you have plenty of stregnth to use to break free, if you stay calm.

I missed the start of the thread by I put my money on GSP. Hes more of an athlete, and those I know who have trained with him all say hes phenomenal. When I see Matt Serra his stature is good but his overal athleticism is laking. Thats how GSP beat Hughes, and thats how he will hold the belt.

Glad there are some members interested in MMA here.

-rD

9. allenive

It was a pretty basic armbar escape by Franklin but impressive because it was against such a high level jiu-jitsu guy like Travis Lutter. Lutter made the mistake of not squeezing his knees together tight enough so it gave Franklin that little window of opportunity and he took it and escaped. Still, Franklin has not looked like the same fighter he once was before meeting his nemesis Anderson Silva. Lutter can be a good fighter, he just needs to take his training for MMA seriously.

I'm also glad that people are interested in MMA on the forums. Does anybody else train here? I've been training at a local place, Trinity MMA for a little less than a year but mainly just into jiu-jitsu, I'm going to be a doctor so I have to keep my face pretty :)

10. bill_n_opus

I've got 4 kids so I don't train at all anymore except stress management and feeding the gut.

Before, I used to train in boxing, pankration, freestyle wrestling (for fun), and judo.

I've got my kids into karate at the moment because it's all about listening, discipline and fun which karate and their sensei provides very well. It's also very close by which is the deal-maker.

Soon though i'll get my kids into Judo as an old friend of mine and her husband run the local judo club. Then perhaps learn some striking here and there and maybe get them rolling eventually.

11. roninDOG

I have trained in Quinton Rampage Jackson's Gym for a short while out in Orange County, and under Erik Paulson and Dan Inosanto in Marina Del Ray, CA. I still train regularly, and my base is largely Muay Thai. I also do Jeet Kune Do, Combat Submission Wrestling, BJJ, Kali, and Silat. Ive probably been training seriously for about 5 years, and debating whether or not to compete. My wife says I shouldnt. :grin:

12. Head Jumper

Head Jumper IncGamers Member

Why? :laugh:

13. allenive

Are you still training under Erik Paulson cause we were trying to get him to come out to our school and do a seminar. Last I heard, my instructor was still working on setting the whole thing up for sometime this summer, my schools in the suburbs of Chicago, what a small world it is :)

14. roninDOG

Lets just say Ive been considered a pretty boy since I was a kid and If I compete in NHB or something similar Im likely to not look the same. Its in my wifes best interest I suppose. :grin: I doubt its easy to deal with your husband getting KOed or have limbs broken while you watch, but hopefully I would be the one winning. Still shes not to fond of the idea of me stepping into the ring, and I cant say I blame her.

Ya I still train under Paulson, each Monday, although he frequently trains Josh Barnett who fights in Japan, and some other different fighters who he corners like Sean Sherk. Sometimes he has a month or so leave and I havent seen him in several weeks.

His training for position and control is top notch, by all means he should come to your school. Hes a really nice guy too.

-rD

15. Head Jumper

Head Jumper IncGamers Member

:smiley: Yeah, i assumed that :tongue: My godfather is also seriously in that stuff, he's training hard, about same time as you, also trained jeet kun do, boxing, wrestling and even some sort of shaolin kung - fu.. But he won't participate 'cause of his mother.. My opinion is that it is better to treat that as a sport activity, do that just for recreation...