Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: $Self-assemblable furniture >> $Microsoft

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by doubleOObubble, Apr 5, 2004.

1. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

OT: $Self-assemblable furniture >> $Microsoft

Most of you know of IKEA, right?

IKEA is NOT on the stock market, and their goal is to stay out of it. But listen to this: If IKEA would go on the market, they would be valued at about $53 billion dollars :winner:. Ingvar Kamprad, the founder and owner of the company, would thus be wealthier than Bill Gates (at about $47 billions), making him the richest man alive!

So. If you want to be become the wealthiest man in the world, you may want to concider the furniture business over the IT hype... :lol:

I was amazed to hear that company was worth that much. Truly amazed :surprise:

2. Tloopz

Tloopz IncGamers Member

If i have right i think that Bill Gates have like 10-20 Billions $ in private welth (not counting the companys shares) Even if IKEA is on the market or not Ingvar will not having more money/welth then Bill.

//Tloopz

3. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

Bla bla bla. IKEA is teh pwn, and Microschoft (=microbastard in dutch) is teh suck. Bill Moneysucker Gates got pwned by a walking couch ^_^

4. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

Hahhaha IKEA is one of my favourite stores, i mean, the commercials are one of a kind!

and of course walking couches >>>> crashing OS's

5. doubleOObubble

I don't think you are right Tloopz. But that wasn't really the point. IKEA isn't even on the market, so Kamprad probably only has a few billions...

Anyway, you don't think I read on the subject before I posted this? Ok. Point: I didn't want this to become a "he's richer than him" "No he is" "No, I heard that...".

It was sort of a joke about IT not nescessarily making for the ultimate monetary success. Also, people like to make fun of the aforementioned company and I found the numbers staggering!

EDIT: And obviously some got that :)

6. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Wintendo is a perfectly good OS for it's purposes...
    So long as you don't have anything you don't mind losing on your computer you can always format when you get a virus and just reinstall D2 ^_^

Where'd you get that info from double, I wouldn't mind reading it so long as it's in english.

7. doubleOObubble

Newspaper? For those interested in what was not the intended point with this OT, Forbes lists Bill Gates net worths at $46.0 billions. I'm pretty sure that's all. But of course, Forbes are known to be sloppy with the 10 wealthiest persons total wealth :uhhuh:

And IKEA - *SHOULD* they (they do not intend to) go on the market, Ingvar Kamprad's Net worth would be ~$53 billions. Hey, it's even some margin in there!

8. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

Wintendo eh...

Some reason i think of Mario, with big circular glasses, strowing Apples...

9. RlNDl

RlNDl IncGamers Member

Mm, well Ingvar is a sneaky one. He started a foundation in Holland and GAVE IKEA to that foundation, and still owns the name IKEA, therefore he cashes in 3.5% of the income of all the IKEA stores around the world.

He is rich but not as rich as Bill (sorry 2Ob :) ) because he doesnt own the company IKEA.

At least that what I read in the papers.

10. doubleOObubble

Well, the largest financial news paper here says it's his company. But of course I'm curious. Where can I read more about Kamprad giving his company away?

11. RlNDl

RlNDl IncGamers Member

Well I read about it today in one of the intenet papers I tend to read during work. Aftonbladet, but dont expect the full story about the foundation there. I suspect there is some reason why he has done this *cough*hightaxesinsweden*cough* or maybe a way to secure the company in the family, I dont know, just speculating. He has come a long way thats for sure!

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Well, this cat may be richer than Bill Gates, but if really he had all that money, he'd just spend it on aquavit and lutefisk :lol:

The sad part is, I actually like lutefisk. mmmmm, fish soaked in poison.

Oooh, I have another joke. Is it true that IKEA means "crap furniture" in Swedish?

13. BofW

BofW IncGamers Member

14. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

IKEA rocks. They recently opened a store in Houston...cheap, decent furniture.

Prez

15. evils

evils IncGamers Member

lutfisk is NASTY!
    and no, ikea does not mean "crap furniture" in swedish.. ikea is an abbrevation of Ingemar Kamprad(or w/e) something something..

//Johnny

16. BofW

BofW IncGamers Member

silly prez... the houston store has been open for something like 10 years. i believe it is also the only store not owned by ikea itself.

and also... stupid weak dollar!!!

17. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

I read somewhere that Microsoft also has over $100 billion dollars in surplus? I also read a while back that the entire contruction of the ISS costs around $40 Billion. With that much money I bet Microsoft could be the first to colonize Mars, if they wanted to. Then they could rename it to Planet Microsoft. :lol:

18. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Why would they want to do that?
    Now the moon on the other hand they could paint a big windows logo on that might be sort of visible.
    Carman Sandeigo tried to do that once.
    She wears a red fedora.
    Now, since Wintendo > teh crappy nix distro (In terms of being able to run D2X anyways), logically where the imaginary cartoon/game show/computer game/whatever else character failed, the owners of the better (or more wealthy anyways) OS would easily be able to put their logo up there.

But that's all beside the point, all the land in the solar system is already owned by the Big Cheese, as he claimed it by pointing out that "no government or corporation can ever hold claim to the land of other planets" (or something to that extent) didn't specifically disclude individuals from owning it and just sort of said "MINE NOW K THX GG NO RE". If you want some, it's like 20$ per acre or so.

In conclusion, I'm bored.