Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Say... Ultimate Frisbee?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by FrolfFreak, Apr 5, 2004.

1. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

OT: Say... Ultimate Frisbee?

I just realized that Kaysaar's avatar is Furious George's icon. And i think i saw the words "ultimate" and "frisbee" appear together in someone else's profile. Just for my own curiosity's sake, who here plays some ultimate? I myself have been playing avidly with my college's team since my freshmen year 3 years ago. Just about the only thing that takes up more time than diablo 2 in my life lately, even more than the girl or school work.

-FF

P.S. Got college sectionals and regionals coming up in two weeks; wish us luck!

2. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

DISC! Yeah ultimate is one sweet game. I am currently interim-president of our little student org that plays this wonderful game. WE'll eventually make it to be an actual team, but right now, we're battling the athletic department for funding, etc. Anyway, its a big mess.

Great to see others love Ultimate! How are you for Disc Golf btw?

crg

3. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Both ultimate and disc golf rock my world. :) There are, unfortunately, far too many ***-hats on the team here (at school) to play, but my brainchild, Freaky Fun Frisbee Friday, has existed for almost four years and I play in the Chicago summer league. (and might play with a Chicago-area club team next year) So, yeah. I'm in for both. :p

4. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I'm just ending my first year of univeristy, and I hope to be going to college regionals too, probably May 8/9 in Rhode Island. First year student, but fourth year Ultimate player. I'll be helping coach my old high school team, and I also play with the Granite State Grass Stains over the summer.

We actually just hosted a local (Nova Scotia/New Brunswick) outdoor tourney, aptly named Tournament of Fools. Seeing as there was still around 8 inches of snow in parts, it was an interesting time, but still very much fun.

I play Ultimate whenver I can.

*spins disc on finger*

EDIT - It's cool that someone actually noticed the Furious George 'tar, nobody mentioned anything when I had the Death or Glory 'tar... :drool:

5. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Oh I remember those college days when every 5-10 minutes someone came knocking on my door to play ultimate. Not saying its not a fun sport, but it got quite annoying when 5 or 6 people would come around begging for players at least once a day. I have played a few times nothing big like league or team play just pick up games. Ultimate is a creative mix of a rough sport and a leasurely pass time. Props to whom ever create the game.

6. Kronlin

Kronlin IncGamers Member

I play in the Chicago league too.

Wildjinn, are you playing the current spring league? The wind (and the cold) on Saturday was terrible. It was about 20 degrees colder at Schiller park than the city earlier that morning.

7. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Sweet. I'm not playing this spring due to school stuff, unfortunately. And, yeah. The wind at Schiller can certainly get up there. :/

8. Paradox of Reality

Paradox of Reality IncGamers Member

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone around here really that plays ultimate (that or they all just stay away from me). Otherwise I would probably play that quite often. I play disc golf almost daily most of the year, would be playing now if I didn't have an afternoon class.

Hopefully the weather we're having now will last. But we put the snowblower away yesterday which probably means it'll snow Thursday now. Gotta love Minnesota weather.

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

not being a college guy during the early years of gaming, what is ultimate and what does it have to do with frisbees?

10. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Well, here's a link that's pretty good

Clicky

The only thing that it doesn't mention is that there are no referees. The game is largely officiated by the players. If the players involved cannot settle it themselves, then observers are called in.

11. ckb

ckb IncGamers Member

Mmmmmm... Ultimate!

Man, its good to hear y'all spout fantastic about the sport that fuels my fire. I try and play a few times a week out here in Seattle, but sometimes that work and family thing gets in the way.
    Our Spring League is in full swing. We won our game on Sunday 15-6, bringing my team to 3-1. Woot!

Anyone else excited for Potlatch? Bids are being taken now.

ckb

PS - for those new to Untimate, learn all about it here.

12. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

More responses than i expected... sweet :)

Disc golf is actually where my handle came from. Here at Hopkins the team took to calling it frisbee golf, which got shortened to just frolf at some point. We used to play midnight frolf around the campus, whenever enough people decided that they just had enough of studying. We kind of got away from it tho; now we usually gather around and play Beirut/Beer pong.
    @ kronlin & wildjinn: do you guys know if tune-up will happen this year? I was at last year's which was awesome, but was supposed to be the last one. That would be a shame.
    @ ckb: dude, i'm from seattle too! Actually, i mean tacoma, but it's generally easier to say seattle to people here on the east coast than trying to help them mentally locate tacoma. Never had the pleasure of going to Potlatch, since i usually don't get home for the summer until after it's taken place. The team i play with in tacoma go every year tho, and have a blast every year. One day...

-FF

13. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

i've only played a little bit of ultimate, but it was sweet. now disc golf, on the other hand, is totally my game! i'vebeen playing for about 10 years now, which is pretty good since i'm only 23. :D unfortunately there aren't any courses within 45 minutes of where i live now (Palo Alto, CA) so i don't get to play very often. i did play a few weeks ago when i went to visit my girlfriend in Miami... she hates the game, but i make her play. :lol:

14. tealine

tealine IncGamers Member

Oooo, alot of Ultimate players. I've been playing for close to 10 years now, and have no intention of quitting. Favourite tournaments so far are Dr. Sand & Mr. Grass on Teneriffe, along with Paganello.
    Unfortunately the amount of teams in Sweden has dropped, so I'm forced to play for another team during Wonderful Copenhagen in May. Good news is that snow has melted now so we can finally start to practice outdoors again.

Keep it flying.

15. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

IIRC rhyondaal plays it too, on quit a high level too :)