OT: Ritual Eating

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
OT: Ritual Eating

The title is a bit misleading, not sure how, but is. What I want to know is:
-What combinations of food do you eat all the time and
-Why?

Personally, my new ritual has to be Mountain Dew and Skittles. I go to school fairly late in the morning, but not late enough to eat a breakfast. Hence, I stop in at the bookstore on my way to my first class and grab something to munch. Mountain Dew and Skittles.
They are cheap-Only $2.08 including tax- and give me both caffeine to wake up and something to play with in class when my AmHis professor gets boring.

What about you?

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
Mountain Dew has caffeine? Or do skittles? I thought neither did. Oh well.

I've got so many unusual eatting combinations, but that's because I'll try pretty much anything once. (Vegetarian of course)

Once, when I wanted a drink, I had whisky, but didn't know we had run out of Cola. So guess what I did? Tried it with apple juice. :) Not nice.

Some other tests that turned out much better:
1. Cheese and pretty much anything.
2. Cheese and chocolate/chocolate spread. Beautiful!
3. Cheese and peanut butter. MMMM. Delic!
4. Cheese and cashews isn't too bad either, but don't have it nearly as often.

As you can see, I'm a big cheese fan. I couldn't live without cheese.

Oh, DO NOT try cashews and lollies (jelly lollies.) They don't go well together.

play with in class when my AmHis professor gets boring
Ancient History is boring. Not when the teacher gets boring. :)
Nah, it's a good subject, but some of the topics are just, yawn. In my Anc History class, the teacher let us play poker, and bet with money (5 and 10 cents, but that was our choice.) As long as we kept quiet, but poker during class was awesome!

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you kidding? Mountain Dew is one of the most caffeinated of all soft drinks. Skittles don't have any, but are loaded with sugar. Sugar tastes good.

Cheese with chocolate I have tried, and found to be good. Also, Cheetos with chocolate. About that last one, I was on a 6 hour field trip and got to trading snacks, and somebody had some Chocolate stuff, so I had to try it...

BTW<, I meant American History. Ancient History I enjoy.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
- Milk & tomato/marinara sauce foods (pizza, pasta, etc.)
- Fish, rice & brocolli
- cheddar & my Mom's homemade apple pie (yummm)
- (alpine) skiing & drinking water
- Tequilla & horrible singing (I'm somewhat infamous on this one :evil:)

Finally, I think I'll win the award for the all-time-wierdest-and-most-disgusting-sounding combination. It's so horrendous in potential that I haven't been able to convince anyone else to try it - EVER. Personally, I've tried it 3 times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It was only by absentminded luck that I stumbled upon this mix:

Grapefruit juice + cigars

... yes I know it sounds disgusting (for a split-second, I was as appalled as you probably are right now). Here's how it happened:

My old roomate used to smoke cigars, and every once in a while I'd have one with him. One time that I did, I forgot that I was drinking grapefruit juice, so we're out on the porch having a couple of puffs and watching the grass grow. I wasn't really thinking of anything beyond the pleasant summer evening, and since I smoke very seldom, my mouth dries out quickly - in this state of mind, it's second-nature to take a sip from the glass at hand...

You can imagine my inclination towards horror once I realized what I had just taken a sip of, followed immediately by my astonishment when my tongue/brain processed that the flavours were actually good combined.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Ewwww....cigars...

I have never understood the Apple Pie/Cheese thing, I think the tartness of the Apple (Granny Smith, of course!) should be front and center, with a crust that stands up to the apples, but yields to a fork. Cheese just messes it up.

IronCrown

Diabloii.Net Member
Sardines & Peanut butter oon toast.

I've tried it a couple of times. Not too bad, but you need to get used to it though. The rest of my family is crazy about it, or maybe their just crazy!

lachen

Diabloii.Net Member
Ham and cheese sandwich on a raspberry bagel with mayo and strawberry cream cheese.

It's good! Probably not good for you though. :p

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Well it's not really wierd, but I ate the exact same lunch for seven years straight. It was two taco sized fluor tortillas with a single slice of white American cheese in each microwaved to melt the cheese and then rolled up tightly, accompanied by a bag of pretzels and a Coke (unless coke wasn't on sale).

I don't really have any weird or exotic eating habits. I guess the most obscure thing I eat (for a white guy) on a very regular basis is Shanghai Bok Choy stir fried with garlic, salt and sugar.

I never understood the candy and soda snack. I always thought candy makes soda taste like carbonated pee diluted with seltzer water.

And while I like cheese immensely, I'm not a fan of sweetness with cheese. I've just started getting into cheesecake, let alone chocolate spread with cheese. My favorite cheese snack combo is sharp white cheddar with bell pepper slices.

edit: I do know a couple people with weird eating habits. Theres a guy in my lab that eats dry Ramen Noodles out of the bag. And my gf eats just about anything with dark vinegar. Her favorite is noodles with vinegar, sugar and peanut butter.

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
BTW<, I meant American History. Ancient History I enjoy.
Ahhh! I thought it was a typo, as we don't have american history here. (Australia) My old school had modern and ancient history.

lachen

Diabloii.Net Member
Theres a guy in my lab that eats dry Ramen Noodles out of the bag.
lol, an old friend of mine used to do that, I really raised a brow when he dumped the seasoning packet in his mouth and seemed to enjoy the taste of it. I can't even begin to imagine how salty it was.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
As a rule I don't eat sweet things, or junk food type things. Not because I'm worried about my health or anything like that, but because I simply don't enjoy them that much. I mean a chocolate bar every once and a while is awesome, but not ever day.

Lately though, my girlfriend and I have discovered the discount pop can shelf at the grocery store. It's basically all the left over beat up, dented, or sticky pop cans for like 33 cents (CAD). We've also been watching a lot of TV shows lately just as a break from the stresses of school, and homework (House, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Alias, Star Trek) and of course chips and dip go well with TV.

So my most often eaten food is Miss Viki's Chips with Onion Dip, and whichever flavor of pop we grabbed that week.

Also I really enjoy a Dill Pickle with a piece of Bologna wrapped around it at least 3 times a week. Just managed this week to get my g/f to try it and she loved it also!

As far as everything else people have said.
I like Cheese and peanut butter a lot
I like Cigars a lot

-hps

Tamboo

Diabloii.Net Member
Every day I have a snack around 1400-1600: dill pickles, potato chips, and cheddar or colby-jack cheese. A slice of cheese, a bite of pickle, and ~2 chips. It's excellent.

Drystan said:
I'll try pretty much anything once. (Vegetarian of course) As you can see, I'm a big cheese fan. I couldn't live without cheese.
Oh yes. :cool:

My fiance has me on this crazy vegetarian diet at the moment because he read all sorts of evil things about the corn industry in the US haha... actually it really does make me not want to eat corn or meat again. So no more of my favorite cheezy "death fried" snacks, no more fast food... I used to have chicken fingers and a strawberry milkshake from Burger King every friday back in high school, before every marching band event.

Hp_Sauce said:
Also I really enjoy a Dill Pickle with a piece of Bologna wrapped around it at least 3 times a week. Just managed this week to get my g/f to try it and she loved it also!
That sounds really good. I would try adding ketchup.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
lol, an old friend of mine used to do that, I really raised a brow when he dumped the seasoning packet in his mouth and seemed to enjoy the taste of it. I can't even begin to imagine how salty it was.
Yeah I think the guy I know dips the dry noodles into the seasoning packet and then dumps the remenants into his mouth. That has to do some kind of permenant damage to your taste receptors, it's basically pure salt.

I used to have chicken fingers and a strawberry milkshake from Burger King every friday back in high school, before every marching band event.
When I was in high school a bunch of us would always go to the Olive Garden before all of our performances. All you can eat pasta, breadsticks and salad that was sweet. And we thought it was some kind of upscale restaraunt since there was a waiter.

Wow, you pulled off a double innuendo! Triple bonus points if you can get her to try a Dill Pickle, wrapped in Bologna, wrapped in Salami.

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member
Cheeseburger!

Every now and then I buy a pack of beefburgers, baps and cheese slices and grill up my own rank food. I love it. I got a pack yesterday as well, so that makes this week cheeseburger week. Not sure my housemates are looking forward to this as much as I am.

cade88

Diabloii.Net Member
cheddar cheese quesadillas with pace picante sauce takes no time to make and fills me up enough to get on with the day.

Phosheez

Diabloii.Net Member
im definitely agreeing on the cheese and just about anything choice. I've got some other combos that I like as well:
dr. pepper + saltine crackers
pb&j sandwich + bbq potato chips (actually put the chips in the sandwich)
pb&j + cheese = delicious
ramen noodles + shredded cheese

SeasonForAssault

Diabloii.Net Member
Every friday i get a "number one upsize takeaway" and always take off the two slices of tomatoe. i then go to the supermarket and buy a bottle of pepsi. we then head over to a park and stay till around 11pm. then we go to a friends house which is local. stay the night there then get picked up in the morning and have bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast for breakfast at home.

MaliusArcus

Diabloii.Net Member
dark beer on cereal (like frosted flakes).. breakfast of champions (beerios)
^ any party day that starts early I try to get it in (big sporting events usually)

Kegs and Eggs
^ read above

cheez-its and about anything
^ I am a junkie for cheez-its

bout it, everything else I eat tends to be standard issue college kid food (ramen noodles, easy mac, taco bell, mcdonalds, and the like)

Fists of Legend

Diabloii.Net Member
A breakfast of fresh liver and fried onions. Throw a little heart on the side and you have the best meal there is before heading out hunting or fishing. Really helps to break up the monotony of bacon and eggs.
Back in college we used to love to eat cracked pepper bread and horseradish. Was really great while cleaning up from a party.