Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Real World Corpse Explosion

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by worldvoyageur, Feb 2, 2004.

1. worldvoyageur

worldvoyageur IncGamers Member

OT: Real World Corpse Explosion

I wonder if any necromancers will claim credit for this one.

Whale explodes in Taiwanese city

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3437455.stm

Witnesses said there was "a stinking mess" after the explosion
    A dead sperm whale has exploded while being delivered to a research centre near the southwestern city of Tainan.
    Passers-by and cars were soaked in blood and body parts were sprayed over a road after the bursting of the whale, which was being carried on a trailer.

The whale had died earlier on a beach and had been collected so its remains could be used for educational purposes.

A marine biologist blamed the explosion on pressure from gases building up in the mammal as it began to decompose.

The whale attracted a lot of onlookers both before and after it exploded.

Several parked cars and pedestrians got covered in blood when it exploded.

Residents and shop owners wore masks while trying to clean up the spilt blood and entrails.

"What a stinking mess. This blood and other stuff that blew out on the road is disgusting, and the smell is really awful," said one resident.

Professor Wang Chien-ping, of the National Cheng Kung University in Tainan, had ordered the whale to be moved to the Shi-Tsao Natural Preserve after his own institution refused to allow a post-mortem examination on its own premises.

Record find

He said that the animal had been close to death when it was found on a beach and had died by the time help arrived.

"Because of the natural decomposing process, a lot of gases accumulated, and when the pressure build-up was too great, the whale's belly exploded."

However he said despite the explosion, enough of the whale remained to allow for an examination by marine biologists.

Professor Wang said initial observation showed the whale to be an older bull and that its weight of 50 tonnes and 17 metre-length made it the largest whale ever recorded in Taiwan.

Reports say because of the whale's size, it took 13 hours, three large lifting cranes and 50 workers to get the whale loaded on the trailer truck for its final trip.

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

that was all me

3. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

It got to be Nightfish, his fishy build (FISHY build, doesn't it tell something?) is so popular, so he has to CE in real life to be "original".

*Whale is not exactly fish, but it is fishy.

*The event is very Fishy style, first cast Attract on the whale, then CE the whale when it was down. only thing missin is Amp damage.

4. Butzull

Butzull IncGamers Member

It was the Giant Squid, I'm sure of it!

Either that or perhaps it's Durf's fault, it IS in his corner of the world...more or less. ;)

Butz. :teeth:

5. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Well, the whale really had that comming. I mean, seriously, he was on *my* turf. Stinking mammal should have stayed on the land where belonged... All the seas are belong to us! :lol:

6. gnomb

gnomb IncGamers Member

There was a whale a in 1970 that washed up on a beach in California I think, the city decided the best way to get rid of it was to blow it up with dynamite. There was video too, blubber and meat flying all over IIRC one big chunk caved in the roof of a nearby (100 yds?) car.

The link is below, video not up now, too much traffic due to the above Taiwanese whale incident.

http://hackstadt.com/features/whale/

7. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

Hmm... then again, the whale could've been fire enchanted. Perhaps a pet of the ancients? Lucky no one was standing close to it when it went off, or there could've been some serious one-hit-kills going on :D

8. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

9. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

What should be done? Revive it? No use at all. A barb would take half his remaining years to find an item in there, and probably no vine would ever be able to absorb that huge corpse.

If one had its Nature's Peace worn, none of this would ever had happened.

Tyrael's Might would do the trick too, if anybody knew where to find one.

10. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that sperm whales prey on giant squid. Alas, for that whale was our only hope.

11. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

actually whales explode all the time when they get beached. that's why scientists are always called in right away whenever they find. that's also why those same scientists have to act very quickly to dissect the whale, and they do it right there on the beach. it was rather stupid of the taiwanese people to try and cart it somewhere else. and, speaking as a marine biologis who's been there and done that, they smell AWFUL!!

12. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

whomhead are you a marine biologist or a "marine biologist" like George from Seinfield :lol:

13. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

heh, i'm actually a real honest to goodness marine biologist! well actually i'm in grad school to become one, but you get the idea. and, unlike george, i don't find that people are impressed at all by it. usually they misunderstand and think that i must work with dolphins or whales... i actually study sea urchin development and evolution. :D