Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: rate my potential laptop

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by somethingsin, Apr 18, 2005.

1. somethingsin

somethingsin IncGamers Member

OT: rate my potential laptop

Hi, I managed to convince my mom to get me a laptop when I get my diploma in a few weeks :D
    So far, this is the best deal I've found, at abs computer tech. (is that a trustable company? )

Uniwill 258KAV2 15.4" WXGA wide screen Barebone Notebook for AMD Athlon64 3700+, -OEM (Item#ABS34116018)
    Vantec LapCool2 Notebook Cooler, Model LPC-301 -RETAIL
    Notebook AMD Athlon 64 3700+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor
    2x Apacer 200 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 SODIMM -OEM (1 gig total)
    Hitachi Notebook Hard Drive 60GB 7200RPM (Item#ABS22146020)
    COMBO CDRW/DVD 24x12x24x8 (Item#ABS27134202)
    108Mbps Turbo 802.11 g/b/x Wireless Mini-PCI Adapter NL-3054MP Plus Aries2
    S/W DETTO|INTELLIMOVER % (Item#ABS32188102)
    Microsoft Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 (Item#ABS37110024)
    Half Life Platinum Edition 2 (Item#ABS32128103) $0

this'll set my mom back about 1500 euros, which is my budget. that is assuming I'll be able to have it sent to some american friends who will bring it over this summer, and it's assuming they'll have to pay 6%sales tax (they live in florida). so, two questions:
    1) is my second assumption correct?
    2) is this a good deal?

Edit: graphics chip: ATI Mobile Radeon 9700 with 128MB dedicated video memory

2. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

The most important thing is missing - What is the graphics chip?

I'd also not to go with wide screen, it is almost useless (only add more on cost).

3. sirius

sirius IncGamers Member

what's the exchange rate for euro to USD?

4. somethingsin

it's about 2000 usd

5. sirius

sirius IncGamers Member

I think you're looking at an ABS Mayhem G3. Here's one I found at newegg, which is tried and true for quality:

ABS Mayhem G3 notebook Athlon 64 3700+, 1GB, 60GB/7200 , DVD+/-RW, 15.4" , Windows XP Pro

Model# G3 A47
    Item # N82E16834224017

Specifications:
    Part#: G3 A47
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    Display: 15.4" WXGA 1280x800 TFT
    Memory: 1GB DDR400
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB
    HD: 60 GB/7200rpm
    Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW Drive
    Communication: V.90 56kbps, 10/100 M Based-T LAN, 108M 802.1a/g/b WIFI
    Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x 1394a, RJ-11, RJ-45, IR, DC input, VGA Monitor Support, Audio, PCMCIA Type II , S-Video, LPT
    Dimensions: 14.1"x10.6"x1.5"(WxDxH)
    Weight: 7.7lbs
    Manufacturer Warranty/Phone No: 1 year / 888-983-9988

$1,789.00 USD, just have to wait until they restock them. you can have them e-mail you when they do. I'm waiting on a logitech MX518 to come in, and they'll email me when it does. They also deliver very fast, early is not uncommon.

There's also a few 3400+ models there, basically the same deal, for about $100-200 less so you have room in your budget left to play with for other things on their site.

6. somethingsin

might as well get it directly from abs right? very configurable...

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

What's the battery life? They do vary greatly. I'm looking at laptops right now too, and found that cheaper makes such as toshiba has better CPU etc for lower price, their battery only last 1.5 hours and needs 4 hours of recharging! IBM and such are more expensive, but battery last up to 7 hours, and you get fingerprint resognition instead of using password, how cool is that! :D

8. somethingsin

hmmm... yes battery life does appear to be very short... I read it's about 75 minutes if you're doing intensive stuff....

I could probably save up and increase my budget by about 2-300 euro, would that be worth it IYO?

Edit: yet another question.

How does the AMD 64 3700+ compare to the Intel Pentium M series? ie. what model in the m series would be equivalent?

9. Stargaze

Stargaze IncGamers Member

Personally, I think that Widescreen Displays are about the best thing you can have in a Laptop if you use it to work with (besides writing some text in Word). You get the full size of your standard display plus some extra space for a toolbar without making the laptop much bigger.

10. NSXdreamer

75 minutes does sound quite short. Of course if you plan to use it like a desktop mostly it won't be a problem.

11. somethingsin

12. NSXdreamer

Pretty sure unless you are a resident of CA and a couple other states, you don't have to pay tax.

They didn't say ship to europe though, so check with them first. I'm not fan of buying stuff on ebay, though a friend do it all the time. Another thing about that is with 3.2 ghz cpu and x800 stuffed into that little box, you'll probably have a overheating nightmare.

13. somethingsin

Think I'll get the expensive one, if the sales tax thing works out, and they still have them in 2 months...

14. DeathMaster

Since we are talking about a laptop which will be used for game play (that's why I asked for the graphics chip, otherwise anything will do), widescreen is really bad here. But laptop is not good for games anyway (the LCD is too bad compare to noraml LCD), so we both may have a point here, but still, a gaming laptop, why widescreen?

15. somethingsin

ok, so widescreen is bad....
    why do the majority of high-end laptops have it then?

16. DeathMaster

So the last few posts were eaten again.

Here is my answer to your question, and few extra.

1) Alienware doesn't do very good on LCD, look what they sell, and they claim to be "for gamers"? Where is 8mn LCD? But one thing you should pay attention, they do not sell widescreed desktop LCD!

2) I'm not going to try to stop you, it is your money after all. Seriousely, locate any widescreen LCD and play some games on it, see if you like it. Many do not like it as the reason I explained before. It is bad because your games will try to fit full screen of odd native resolution, especially bad for text. I know someone said "who cares text on screen when you play games?", I know I won't make such statement myself. And I know someone who wanted money back for this reason (guess his chance, it is harder than getting 6x legit ZOD drop at once from normal zombie). Try before you buy, it is your money!

3) Alienware doesn't make computers for gamers only, they are tring to sell some high-end machines to business too.

4) widescreen LCD is good for marketing reasons, and they can make more money out of it, AND majority of people don't know what they want.

17. AndiDi

AndiDi IncGamers Member

The NVidia driver has an option to scale the screen preseving the aspect ratio. So if you are playing D2 you will see black bars on either side of the screen. But i you have a game that supports Widescreen (like Doom3) you can use the whole screen.

Problem is: If you want to buy a really high end labtop you have to take one with widescreen. Or at least I haven't found one without it.

18. NSXdreamer

But why bother with widescreen if you are just gonna look at two black side bars. The ones does support widescreen, good luck get it to run well on a laptop without burning a couple thousand bucks in the process.

19. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I dont see why anybody would want a widescreen laptop. The only thing it helps for is DVD watching, and of the friends who i have who have laptops, none of them watch many DVD's on it, because its still better on a PC or a TV, due to screen size and with a good Pc you can mutlitask without overloading the processor, which unless you pay uber for, wont be as fast in a laptop. Hardly any other applications really need widescreen, thats why you dont see any desktop PC's with it.

20. somethingsin

well, as andi said, finding a high-end laptop without a widescreen is quite difficult, even alienwares gaming laptop has widescreen.