Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Programming

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Wraithan, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Wraithan

Wraithan IncGamers Member

OT: Programming

Howdy,
    I have a background in HTML, JavaScript, and XML UI editing(though never created) for EQ. I was wondering what programming language I should work on learning next, I want to be a proficient programmer when I finally consider myself grown up (no where near right now... am only 18). I don't know where I should go from here.

I thought this forum would be a good one, due to lots of people who play video games are curious about programming and may be able to steer me in the right direction.

~Todesritter

2. goltar25

goltar25 IncGamers Member

What programming language you should learn next depends on what you want to do with it. You appear to have a good handle on web development. If you are wanting to go more into user interface, I'd recommend more into Java, or for game programming, C/C++/C# (maybe, I'm just learning C++ myself). For any sort of technical computing, go FORTRAN. Yes, as much as the majority of the computing world doesn't like to admit, FORTRAN is still used and very good at what it is intended for. And if anyone says it is outdated, all of the software my company writes is written in FORTRAN, with the exception of the GUIs.

3. Wraithan

I was looking into Java, but the site was "too busy" to allow me to download the platform and all of that kinda stuff. Assuming Java Sun is the place to go for this stuff.

4. goltar25

goltar25 IncGamers Member

I downloaded the Java IDE and compiler from Sun with no problem, at approximately 10 a.m. Pacific Time (GMT -8 IIRC). It still takes a while, since it is a big download, but you should be able to get it started easily, just find the right time of day for it.

5. Krikke

Krikke IncGamers Member

I would go for C/C++.

6. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

C/C++/C# is a fun start, though sometimes confusing. I haven't gotten around to Java yet so I can't comment.

You could always learn VisualBasic!

*dodges incoming blunt objects and runs away*

7. Wraithan

I know this is being lazy due to the fact that I could just google and look for stuff. But does anyone have good links for sites that teach C/C++/C#?

8. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Meh. Just stop being lazy and google for it.

I did and got some halfway decent results, but I'm not linking them due to the fact that I, too, am lazy.

But if you're too lazy to bother looking up things to teach you on how to use it, why bother trying to learn?

9. Wraithan

I am lazy atm due to needing sleep but being unable to find it, so i am stuck with my computer till sleep claims me.

10. OCAU_MIKLE

OCAU_MIKLE Banned

Well, im 18 and have been programming for a while now. I can program in C/C++/Java/Basic(vb,q)/html/php/jsp/asp/pascal (delphi,turbo) and it really depends on what your looking for in a lanquage.

- OCAU_MIKLE.

11. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

As others have mentioned, what to learn depends entirely on what you want to do. However, C++ is a always a good starting point as it teaches you the basics of most modern (i.e object oriented) languages.

I've programmed in a whole slew of languages from the good old number crunching days of BASIC/FORTRAN to object oriented languages like Smalltalk/C++ to scripting languages like Perl/Python so learning a new one is not too difficult once you know how to transition from one to the other.

--T

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Geek.
    :p

13. Mordalles

Mordalles IncGamers Member

hehe. i used to do quite a bit of programming in school, i was taught turbo pascal, made the jump to delphi, and taught meself to read books on c and c++. idd go with c++, then you can work for blizzard and program all our ideas into d3.

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

At the rate blizz was working on the 1.10 patch i think they typed it all in with binary actually. Now theres a fun way to make a program!
    As for myself i know HTML and thats about it. Enough to make my own simple web pages, at the moment i dont need anything else. Although next year at college part of my ICT course is programming, but i dont know which type. probably visual basic knowing my college. damn.

15. Mordalles

Mordalles IncGamers Member

well, my advice is not to go for a few months course in programming. rather do a degree or something where you study it for 3-4 years with the maths and science and that kinda thing, at university. but i could be wrong. you cover all the aspects of programming, since you wont really learn all the depths you should in only 3-6 months, especially of you learn more than one language in that time.

ive talked to people whose been to both, and the knowledge really differs greatly!! really, big difference.

16. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well i dont have a choice, since im mid way through a 2 year course, and programming makes up 1/6th of that. However, i have no idea what i want to do at uni (other than drunk, drugs and woman) but since im doing business and ICT at college, it'll be something connected to those.

17. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

Take a crack at Lisp. If you can do something worthwhile in it then you can probably manage to pick up anything.

18. barren

barren IncGamers Member

Hehe, I love how people who know virtually nothing about programming (javascript, html, and the xml you're doing is not programming, you don't even need a compiler) always ask this innocent question: What language should I learn first? When the correct question to ask is, where can I learn the basics of programming theory?

Why theory and not a specific language? Because all languages are almost exactly the same besides little variations with syntax. All programming languages allow you to program at various "levels". Levels can usually be divided up under these 5 "steps". The more steps you can program at, the more levels the language can handle. The big popular languages like c++ and java (don't get java confused with javascript, they're relationship is a little more complicated) allow you to program at every level.

Here's how to program with virtually every language:
    1)The first level is never ever used anymore. It's called assembly, where you have to build your own control structures using 3 primitive "decisions". More boolean math then actual programming.
    2)To start things off, everyone must learn the basics with control structures; your if's, whiles, for loops, etc.
    3)Next step is to learn pointers, arrays, funtions and how to pass variables by reference.
    4)Congrats, you're a novice and can go do some basic stuff, now it's time to learn data structures, where things get interesting
    5)Finally, this is the highest level of programming: object oriented programming where you learn about fun stuff like inheritance and polymorphism. Lots of language don't implement this in its fullest, or only allow you to program at this level without realizing it. C sharp, vb and even flash fall in here since they were designed really for this level.

if you learn the theory behind all of these levels, you can program with every single language. Syntax is only the details. It's funny, because languages come and go every week and every project I do is in a different language but it never ever phases me, cause they're still all fundamentally exactly the same.

lots of "languages" don't fall into any of these categories, like any querying language for a database (sql) because they aren't real programming languages, just a way of retrieving data from a database. And like the languages that fall under the 5 levels i've listed, if you know one, you know them all. Well, okay, oracle is a major exception here but I promise you'll never use.

Finally, web based languages (perl, flash (i love flash =), php, asp) use basic control structures, and most allow even data structures (php 5 finally allows for complete object oriented programming, instead of its wierd limited php 4 version) combined with built in functions to use querying languages, plus the ability to seemlessely incorporate html and javascript.

Whew that's a lot of typing, I hope you learned something!

19. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

As someone who can program Lisp, I tend to disagree. If you can program Lisp, you can probably pick up Scheme pretty quick, but other languages really have little in common. Basic concepts like variables and types are lacking (to varying extents, depending which Lisp dialect you're using). Thinking in reverse polish notation is rarely of use in other languages, for another example.

I'd recommend C/C++. It's syntactically similar to many other languages, and basic concepts translate well to other languages (OO, for instance). Properly understanding pointers is really generally helpful too, IMO.

EDIT: barren your classification is a bit silly. Lacking a compiler hardly disqualifies a "programming language". Scheme, Lisp, Perl, Python, Smalltalk, VB (older versions, anyway. I'm less familiar with .NET) all lack compilers, yet few people would argue that they aren't programming languages. JavaScript is a perfectly valid programming language. At least as much as Flash.

20. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

True, but I didn't mean it quite that way. In order to program Lisp you really have to wrap your mind around the whole program and understand the big picture. That is something that is helpful no matter what language you are using. When you work with object oriented languages a lot of people create a few small pieces and then 'force' them to work together in sloppy and inneficient ways.