Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ot: Php

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Wraithan, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Wraithan

Wraithan IncGamers Member

Ot: Php

Ok, after playing with C++ for a couple weeks I wanted to play with PHP and what not, since lots of web stuff (including some games that I would like to see about making my own up to that same par). I was wondering what guides if any did people use? Currently I am starting with the PHP guide at www.w3schools.com (where i learned basic HTML, JS, XML) but other guides could augment or just plain old be better than what I am using.

EDIT: Also, is there anyway to test PHP short of installing apache, MySQL, and PHP? I don't have access to my computer right now (at my g/fs, she has a tiny harddrive).

2. barren

barren IncGamers Member

I get all my php info from www.php.net.

I'd love to know how to test php scripts without all that stuff as well.

3. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

DISCLAIMER: I am by no means a php expert. But:

To test PHP, you will need to install php. Obviously.

You don't NEED to install a webserver to run php, but it's probably a good idea. The php program *can* execute a file just fine, but everything makes more sense within the context of a webserver, since that's how most tutorials would assume you're using it. Apache is a good choice, btw.

You absolutely do not need MySQL unless you're doing something that involves a database. PHP can do many, MANY things that have absolutely nothing to do with databases.

EDIT: if you don't want to install anything, maybe look for some free hosting site that lets you use php. It's been a long while since I've dabbled in free hosts though, so I can't point you to anything specific.

4. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

The best reference by far is the official manual, especially since it started containing user-submitted comments in the Win .chm version. Get yours here.
    Since you know programming in C, you don't need any beginner's guide. The syntax is very similar. You only need browse all the functions in the manual to find out why you won't be needing to write so many subroutines with PHP.

You can install PHP and run it as a command-line interpreter on either Win or *X for the first simple steps. However, since it's basically a web-development technology, you'll need to have a web server running it for you eventually. Apache is by far the best (both for PHP and as a web server in general), but not Apache 2. Stick with 1.3.
    MySQL needn't enter the picture unless you or some application requires it.

5. Wraithan

I want to also learn MySQL because most times I hear PHP referanced I also hear MySQL so I figure it would be good to know. I downloaded Xampp but i can't figure out the damn program lol so I am going in search of Apache by itself. Thanks for the link to the guide, I will download it right now.

6. barren

barren IncGamers Member

Heh, that's kind of like testing an F-1 racer on a go Kart track. What's the point?

7. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

Well, you could establish that the engine works, play with the lower gear ratios, see how the steering responds...

In any event, I think driving the racer but letting someone else do mechanical work and maintence would be a far more accurate analogy.

You can actually do quite a lot without running your own webserver. I daresay most professional hosting services that people use take over that responsibility for them. Could you build your own box, dump it in a collo station, and do all the administration yourself? Sure. But that's not how most people do it, and definitely isn't necessary to develop PHP. People buy hosting service. They host their PHP files on said service. There is no *need* for them to have the webserver installed locally, or worry about any of the administrative details of the webserver.

The question would be whether any free hosting service exists that's adequately featured to allow PHP use. That one I don't know. But it doesn't seem all that unlikely.

8. Wraithan

I am seeing like 30 versions of 1.3, anyone one of them better than the others or just go with the newest?

9. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

Just call PHP the Great Satan and then pee on it.

Damn I hated that crap.

10. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

Just the latest, I suppose. I'm running... 1.3.33 myself (for PHP development). Basically, the 1.3 family will only have very minor differences between subversions, stuff that most people will never delve into.

11. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

True, there are many fine hosting services for a minimal fee, and administrating a PHP server isn't hard at all (unless you've tied it to IIS). They are great for dumping ready-made applications, like CMSs or BBs. But Todesritter said he wanted to play with PHP, so he'd have to install it on his own machine. FTPing a file after every change is no fun.