Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[OT] Other Games Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by helvete, Apr 7, 2017.

1. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

As I've previously stated, many of us don't have the time we used to have, free to play D2 anymore. And most of us take the occasional break from D2. However, we all love and respect this community, and thus I though we could share our thoughts and experiences about other games in this thread.

I'll go right ahead and say a little bit about what I personally do (game related) when I have the time.

Such a time is now. Kid is sleeping like a stone, GF is away with her GFs, and I have an almost unlimited stash of beer. I already ate most the chips and all of the dip.

I've been watching StarCraft II on Twitch, a truly epic best of 5 with uThermal and Snute. Being a Norwegian myself, I of course cheered for Snute. And he won, after the closest and longest series I've seen in this expansion.

If I had a lot of free time on my hands, I'd definitely go back into Skyrim too. I probably only explored about 15% of that game, even though I beat it and reached level 100+ with the latest updates. Problem with that game is that I know the exploits too well, and the difficulty system seems to only affect battles.

Also, I will play StarCraft Remastered when it hits; I'd do it regardless this summer for the nostalgia. I'll have to get a PS4 as well, to play the remaster of FFVII.

As you can probably tell, I am the kind of person who plays a few select games, but get a LOT of value for my money. This is the case with D2 as well; if I was to calculate the cost per hour, it'd be somewhere in the .01 cents per hour I think....

Let me know what you're into besides D2, and if you know something about FFVII which I don't, you get a cookie ;)

T72on1 and pharphis like this.
  2. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

If there's something to learn about FF7, it would be from Garland The Great on youtube. He has done a host of challenge runs through the game... Highly recommended!

Lately I've been playing Rivals of Aether (finishing Abyss Mode, which is fun but hard) and The Mean Greens which has a depressingly low playerbase for how good the game is as an army men themed of FPS (actually more third person).

Otherwise, waiting for the next Secrets of Grindea update, Amazing Frog? update, and will buy one of a few games this summer (Owlboy, Hyper Light Drifter, Chromicon when it's completed (similar to D2))

3. djmbbandie

djmbbandie Diabloii.Net Member

Pokemon Go until I fall over or my account is deleted (using a university email address). Next weekend I will be in Portland hunting more of them because one of my favorites is now a nest down there. My Gen 1 pokedex is only missing aerodactyl, and I've collected almost 70 of 90 of Gen 2. This game forces exercise and exploration, so it's really the best game I'm on.

Currently I'm also on a college basketball binge as well (NCAA basketball 10 is the best game created, just sad there haven't been any new ones ever since). The presentation is awesome, there are two sets of broadcasters (CBS and ESPN), and there's even a NCAA selection show. I'm starting to consider getting Starcraft Remastered because Brood War is still something I play when I want to build an army to kill things.

4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

Skyrim is a master work among games. It rivals an epic novel, only with shared authorship between reader and writer. If you wish to add more verbs and adjectives to your vocabulary, you need only install mods to customize the experience. It also has a robust podcast community that hosts tourneys similar to ours here, and encourages let's plays and audio feedback. Not sure if I can plug other gaming websites so I will just recommend that you search "Skyrim Addict" in your podcast app of choice.

Having said all that, I know how you feel about having unlocked the secrets of any game's inner mechanics. You'd think that a group such as us who play a game we have long since deconstructed would have burned out ages ago. Yet the candle still shines. I am in the opposite position, wanting to return to the familiar roots of D2. I've recently inherited a workstation of considerable power and hope to soon rejoin the fight against the forces of Hell. Here's to hoping I can find my stashes.

5. Atomic Love

Atomic Love Diabloii.Net Member

I have a really hard time actually finishing games for some reason, but there are some I always come back to.

My absolute favorite is Final Fantasy Tactics, and it was both my introduction to Final Fantasy and one of the very few I've played. I still play it on my PSOne, because I can't be arsed to emulate it. I love the story, graphics, music, combat, and class system, but the difficulty could use some help. There are mods that fix that, so maybe one day I'll set it up on my PC. There's a huge work detailing all of the game's mechanics on GameFAQs called the Battle Mechanics Guide (BMG) that has all the formulas a stats junkie could dream of. Absolutely brilliant game that I fell in love with many, many years ago. I wish everyone played it.

This is followed by some other games you may have heard of: Baldur's Gate II, HoMM III, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Of games that I loved and still love, there are far too many to mention.

I really enjoyed Skyrim while I was playing it, but I never went back once I set it aside, despite having bought the expansion.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    pharphis likes this.
  6. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I am playing Diablo 2 (of course), Fordyl is almost at 99. After that, I'm probably going to focus on Guardians and enjoying different builds and items. I'm also going through the D3 story mode with a crusader just now, but I don't do endgame in D3. Sticking to Blizzard, I downloaded the trial for WoW and got bored after approximately 4 minutes. I've also downloaded Heroes of the Storm as I've never played a MOBA, but I'm not sure if I will like that.

I might buy something in the summer sale to take to Glasgow on my MacBook.

As an aside; What games have influenced you all the most?

For me, D2 is by far the most influential game that I've ever played, SP for very good reasons and online for very bad reasons. Still, it remains, and probably always will, the best game that I've ever played and the one that I always have on the go. Also, C&C Red Alert 1 is a great nostalgia and I actually just started playing it again yesterday, man I love that game... Skyrim is also another game that has had a big influence on me, and is part of why I am so keen on SP games these days, having mostly played D2 Bnet and Call of Duty in my younger years.

Pb_pal likes this.
  7. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

You paid that much for D2?! :eek:

I never played FFVII. I bet you didn't know that.

Recently i played a lot of Destiny, but i'm pretty much done with that. Also Skyrim which i rediscovered. And now i'm doing ME4 which i'm plowing through at an alarming rate (it's a nice size, but since i like it i play it a lot). No idea what would be next.

8. Codoh

Codoh Diabloii.Net Member

My laptops kinda busted. Went to the repair shop and after 6 weeks we (here i mean the repair guy and me), we couldnt figure out whats up with it. He was more than willing to help and even lent me his HDD, Ram, Reinstalled windows etc etc but no desired result..The laptop simply shuts down while the vent is spinning like crazy. Does this like 3-5 times a day. After observing it i do believe it has something to do with the HDD, probably something went wrong with it. Atleast it allows me to play D2 for a few hours a day so im sticking with that. I enjoy trav farming so no other game for me atm. D3? nah, the itemization just blows, HOTS? after playing it quite a lot i still havent got my hand on all the heroes and the game is just dull.

9. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a big fan of the Civilization series, esp Civ 2. Simple yet addictive. And it plays off of my USB stick. I've played mainly turn based strategy games because I couldn't keep up with real time strategy games.

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  10. pharphis

Ya, FFT is quite difficult. Although less engrossing story-wise (well frankly I always just found the story confusing in FFT) you might like FFT Advance (for GBA) or FFTA2 for DS. They both have great music, less challenge overall (although tons of optional missions!) and ofc a lot of customization

11. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

12. Atomic Love

Atomic Love Diabloii.Net Member

I was actually thinking of it being easy as the problem, but in that aspect it's a lot like Diablo. If someone isn't that familiar with the mechanics or classes or whatever, he is going to struggle to get his five-points-in-everything build to work. There are definitely some tricky battles, but once you know what you're doing then it isn't difficult, especially if you grind a bit. This is compounded by the fact that the enemies are gimped and poorly equipped even in the late game, which is why you are still mostly fighting the basic knight class and some of them may just have a sword.

The mod, 1.3 I think it's called, introduces more class variety in enemies as you advance, as well as giving them early/mid/end game appropriate equipment and optimal skill set-ups. It sounds quite spicy, though I've never tried it.

I've seen the GBA/DS games, but they seemed like such a love-it or hate-it choice that I never gave them a shot. And of course there's no option for the original on the DS, because that's on PSP... (I think). Supposedly it works fine on the iPhone, but I'm afraid to buy it and see for myself.

13. pharphis

ya the original is on PSP.

I think the game is difficult early on and mid-game, but do recall the last half being very easy.I think the wall fight is hard and probably the first city fight you have with huge height differences, iirc. 1v1 boss fights (was there only 1?) were difficult for me as well... but this was ages ago. Although, the very first time I played I didn't realize letting your team turn into crystals made them perma-dead until it was too late (lol). I wanted to learn abilities! Red chocobos are my fav!

I love me some sweegy woods, random waltz, desert land and chapel music. All of these probably go in my top 40 VG tracks which is tough to do, given how many amazing songs there are in the FF franchise along. Goddamn these sound good.

14. Kitteh

Which is the best FF game for somebody to play now, having never really played one? I had one on PS1 years ago, but barely remember it...

15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I like to play the old Rome Total War (1, not 2), the "Barbarian Invasion" expansion or Mediaval 2 (which is like Rome 1 with beefed up graphics and a few extras).

I've never played games like Skyrim, it appears to be too much of an ego perspective to my taste. It's probably worth a try anyway, however.

BTW, why don't we have D2 for Android yet?? I would pay for that! *throws a few Euro bills into the air*

Kitteh likes this.
  16. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I really like ARPGs, so next to D2, I also played D1, D3 RoS, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Sacred and Torchlight. Grim Dawn and PoE I plan to revisit once their expansion hits. I'll most likely return to D3 at some point as well.

Next to that I used to play a lot of FPS when I was young. Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nuk'em, Heretic, Quake, Blood, those were the games that I loved and played a lot. After that also Half Life series and Portal. O yes, and the original Unreal Tournament. That game was epic. I also played the original Unreal and it's expansion, but it didn't have the same impact on me as UT.

Other than that the Fifa series and some smaller games, like Steamworld Dig, Shank and Mark of the Ninja. The latter is a very, very good game, which I can advice to everyone out there. Which reminds me that I also used to love platformers, back when 3D games didn't exist.

17. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

At the moment I'm going through a Path of Exile phase. I've just completed Normal with a witch and the other six character classes are waiting their turn to take on Normal Act 4.

18. Kitteh

I need to revisit Grim Dawn, I haven't played that in a long time...

T72on1 likes this.
  19. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

+1 vote for the civilization series. I've played I -IV with 2 and 4 being my favs.

20. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

+1 to turn based strategy, for the same reason. I particularly recall a very old game, Rise and Rule of the Ancient Empires.